If you could shoot any gun ever made at any time in history what would you choose?

PDA

Hal
October 8, 2003, 08:18 AM
Go for the expensive and rare like the .45cal Luger, or the sinister historical like maybe Oswald's or Booth's or the odd ball like an original Puckle(sp)<--(since it's mostly a fantasy thread, I'll give you that an original of any of them are available)-->, or the historical like one of the Boston Massacre muskets, or really big, like one of the 32 pounders on "Old Ironsides"??
(That's just part of my short list)

What one single gun would you want to shoot?

If you enjoyed reading about "If you could shoot any gun ever made at any time in history what would you choose?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Dragon
October 8, 2003, 08:24 AM
Phased Plasma Rifle in 40 watt range...:D

Other then that, does the cannon on a A-10 warthog count?
Or the cannon the Germans used to bomb Paris from 70 miles away in WWII.
What can I say, I like'm BIG!

MaterDei
October 8, 2003, 08:26 AM
Intriguing question, Hal.

I would have to choose 'the shot heard 'round the world'. Not so much for the gun, rather for the fact that it kicked off the American Revolution, without which we probably would not be having this conversation right now. In 1775, with the exception of Switzerland, every single nation was ruled/controlled by a king or emperor. The shot heard 'round the world changed all that.

What's your choice, Hal?

MaterDei

Bigjake
October 8, 2003, 08:41 AM
i'd love to get my hands on an old tommy gun, the short 11 (?) inch barrel and a couple big ol drums of .45 on full auto. i can see that being a lot of fun.

Mark Tyson
October 8, 2003, 08:42 AM
A quad-50 anti-aircraft gun

Brian Dale
October 8, 2003, 08:51 AM
Ma Deuce. ANY Ma Deuce. :D

Joe Demko
October 8, 2003, 09:50 AM
I've fired guns of the same model as many famous guns. That is, I've fired a Browning .32 like Princip used to off Franz-Ferdinand, I've fired (and owned) a Kennedy-Killer Karkano, fired a muzzle-loading derringer of the same pattern used to kill Lincoln, etc. etc. So many guns used by (in)famous people to do (in)famous deeds were so common that it is no big deal to fire or shoot one just like it. Therefore, I guess I'd want to fire something unique, so that the experience itself would also be unique. The trouble is, most small arms are built around standardized ammo. Firing one .32 automatic isn't terribly different from firing any other .32 automatic. Firing one .308 rifle isn't terribly different from firing another. So, I guess I'd want to fire one of those experimental rail guns that outfits like NASA are using. Even then, I guess the experience would be little different from flipping any electrical switch or pushing any button.

MuzzleBlast
October 8, 2003, 10:03 AM
Is someone else providing the ammo?
G.E. Minigun :D

jrhead75
October 8, 2003, 10:07 AM
Ma Deuce...again. Now THAT was fun! If I thought I could get away with it, I'd have one of those suckers mounted on my roof, and I'd wake up the neighbors every morning! :what: :D

Redlg155
October 8, 2003, 10:08 AM
G.E. Minigun

Ahhh..but the one on the movie predator. Now that would be sweet! :D

Good Shooting
Red

Abominable No-Man
October 8, 2003, 10:21 AM
How about those 10mm assault rifles the Colonial Marines used in
"Predator"? Or whatever the hell it was that Robocop used?

Oh, and you might laugh at this one, but I always thought that it would be cool to light off a couple from the Death Star.....

ANM

axeman_g
October 8, 2003, 10:24 AM
accomplish this with a little effort and beggin, but with many fantasies, actually doind it might ruin the thought.

My choice would be a BAR for a long afternoon ...

gburner
October 8, 2003, 10:42 AM
As we flew in a lazy circle high above an enemy convoy, any and all of the weapons mounted on the AC-130.

40 MM Bofors gun from the stern of a PT boat in the Pacific.

Any Ma Duece.

Balog
October 8, 2003, 10:56 AM
A Vulcan. About the same rate of fire as a minigun, but in 20MM :evil:

A German 88MM.

And I'll second Abominable's vote for the Death Star.

cool45auto
October 8, 2003, 11:01 AM
Vasili's Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle back when he was shooting in WWII.:cool:

Lightsped
October 8, 2003, 11:08 AM
Give me a full auto Tommy Gun and I would be more than happy....

Joe Demko
October 8, 2003, 11:36 AM
How about those 10mm assault rifles the Colonial Marines used in "Predator"? Or whatever the hell it was that Robocop used?

The 10mm assault rifles in "Aliens" were Thompson SMG's dressed up in costume. Robocop used a Beretta 93R also dressed up for the movies.

BigG
October 8, 2003, 11:38 AM
The assault rifles they had in Starship Troopers. Closeup, they looked like a dolled up Mini Foteen. :D

Ala Dan
October 8, 2003, 11:42 AM
A Cobra Gunship

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Wildalaska
October 8, 2003, 11:48 AM
Since Ive already done a minigun, tommy gun, 550, fnc, M16, Ma duece et al, my only remaining fantasy is to go back to the "museum" at Waffenfabrik Bern and rip that first manufactured WFB Luger off the display case and start blasting..

Bet that would steam some of them stodgy swiss guys....

And I want to shoot a Krumlauf too!

WildracletteAlaska

DorGunR
October 8, 2003, 11:54 AM
I've fired many of the guns mentioned here,
Thompson SMG, I had one in Nam (Illegal personal weapon, but thats another story)
I was also a gunner on a quad .50 cal, mounted on a half track.
I've fired the BAR, Browning air cooled MG and the M-79 grenade launcher oh I almost forgot, I"ve fired the old WWll "bazooka"

But I would LOVE to fire the 20mm Vulcan........oh well.;)

Balog
October 8, 2003, 12:17 PM
D'oh, I left a couple out.

M-79.

MG-42.

Ma Deuce, and her quad mounted sibling.

Flamethrower (it's kind of a gun;) )

LAW, SMAW, RPG-7, WWII-era bazooka.

Suppressed 10/22 and Ruger MK-II.

Gotta love the Tommy gun.

MAG-58, or it's US cousin the M240.

Suppressed MAC-10 (in .45ACP) would be fun.

I'd lloooooovvvveeeee to get my hands on an SVD.

AK-74 with GP-25 (I believe that's the name for the under-barrel grenade launcher, right?)

Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon, 1 and 2 inch varieties.

Black Snowman
October 8, 2003, 12:32 PM
Mark II automatic grenade launcher. Lots of big booms, have fun arching them over, around, and in stuff.

2nd choice would be the GAU-8 Avenger on the A-10

Tierhog
October 8, 2003, 12:33 PM
The 16 inch rifles on a battleship. Big boom. Big hole. Big grin:D

Kamicosmos
October 8, 2003, 12:36 PM
Just one? That's tough. If only one, probably the GE Mini.

I'd also like to fire off an old Civil War Cannon, big boomer off a WWII battleship, and a main gun on a tank would be cool. Sherman for nostalgia, Abrahms for coolness.

And a full Auto Tommy, with the drum magazine. Would require being dressed in a pinstripe suit with Fedora and Trench coat, of course!

JohnDog
October 8, 2003, 12:43 PM
I'm with TierHhog,

The 16 inch guns from an Iowa class battleship - all 3 in one of the turrets at once! BOOM Cubed!

gulogulo1970
October 8, 2003, 12:44 PM
I'd love to shoot the (6) .50's either in a P-40 Warhawk or a P-51 Mustang. That would be a dream come true.

Bravo11
October 8, 2003, 12:55 PM
20mm Vulcan for me.
Also, I would like to fire a LAW. We trained with LAWS(training aids) but I never got to fire one or even see one fired.
Did the main gun on a tank, a few times, it is awesome.
Oh and maybe a TOW missle. I've always wondered how hard it would be to fly one of those.

Mike Irwin
October 8, 2003, 12:56 PM
http://www.warships1.com/Weapons/WNUS_14-45_mk10_Pennsylvania_guns_pic.jpg

Brian Williams
October 8, 2003, 01:12 PM
HKMP5SD IN 10MM

PPsh with the original short barrel and a couple of drums of original subgun ammo,

20mm Solothurn with HEAT rounds

the first 1873 SAA in 45 colt

the little 37mm anti tank guns that they used in WWII with a Ford GP
They were used with 3 man tank killer teams of a loader, operator, and jeep driver.

artillery model P-08 with shoulder stock and snail drum mag.

ENC
October 8, 2003, 01:14 PM
What perfessr said

clange
October 8, 2003, 01:57 PM
I'd settle for a mp5sd :)

Beretta M93R would be cool too.

cordex
October 8, 2003, 02:08 PM
The Atomic Cannon
Mark 9 Gun Weapon
Loaded with the 280mm 15kt nuclear shell.

Shot GRABLE, baby.

Dr.Rob
October 8, 2003, 02:09 PM
Most fun I ever had was shooting a BAR.

Any gun? Any time?

Patriotic answer: A brown bess at Breed's Hill.

Humanitarian answer: 8mm Mauser at Hitler.

Sporting answer: 405 Winchester at Lion with Teddy Roosvelt.

Silly answer: .470 NE at Dinosaurs

teppo-shu
October 8, 2003, 03:15 PM
The one that WILL be shot to disassemble bin Laden's dome!:cool:

BigG
October 8, 2003, 04:15 PM
One of the big mortars the heinies were using to shell the Belgian forts in early WWI. 200 mm, IIRC. :uhoh: :eek: :evil:

Schuey2002
October 8, 2003, 04:20 PM
The A-10 Thunderbolt II's 30mm GAU-8/A Gatling gun !!

:evil:

son of a gun
October 8, 2003, 05:22 PM
http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/sheildsmile.gif I would like to take a Gatling Gun to the Crusades.http://smilies.crowd9.com/otn/violent/bigun2.gif

Dilettante
October 8, 2003, 05:34 PM
Any shot that kills Vladimir Lenin about 1912, or Hitler before 1930 or so, etc.

Dilettante
October 8, 2003, 05:36 PM
[quote]The one that WILL be shot to disassemble bin Laden's dome[/quote

Osama was probably char-broiled in Dec. 2001, but I like the way you think. :D

Saddam's still out there BTW. ;) ;) ;)

Penman
October 8, 2003, 06:10 PM
Lahti 20mm semi auto.

Balog
October 8, 2003, 06:52 PM
Some good ideas. I'm getting inspired ;)

M82A1

Solothurn S18-1000 20MM

Lahti 20MM

Original Ferguson rifle

Original Sharps, Henry, and Lematt (all vets of the War Between the States)

The old 10 gauge lever action shotgun (can't remeber the name)

BARs, BARs, and more BARs! Especially the Colt Monitor and FN-D models.

Doc Holliday's sawed-off double barrel.

longtom4570
October 8, 2003, 07:18 PM
I would like to shoot the Stug III, now thats an assault gun :D :D

Balog i believe that the shotgun you are thinking of is a Winchester 1887

Cosmoline
October 8, 2003, 07:26 PM
Lewis' airgun. I want to see if it really could drop a moose or deer as claimed.

Waitone
October 8, 2003, 07:51 PM
A fully dressed-out crew served AC-130 Spectre gunship complete with all bells and whistles.

Individual infantry weapon would be a BAR with deuce and a half brimming full of factory fresh ammo.

telewinz
October 8, 2003, 07:56 PM
A Rockwell 40mm automatic grenade launcher, no felt recoil but lots of fairpower!:D

But then again maybe a couple of rounds from "Big Bertha".

Moparmike
October 8, 2003, 08:29 PM
Wow, so many guns, so little time. Mostly everything listed so far.:)

I want a Type 1, 2, and 3 (rifle) phaser from Star Trek. I want my Type 2 to be the pistol type from TOS with DS9 power.:D

LeonCarr
October 8, 2003, 08:37 PM
Shoulder fired: 106mm recoiless rifle :)

Anything on AC-130 Spectre

Anything on A-10 Warthog

if you are going to go big, I mean really big,

MX

A silo is kinda like a gun barrel :P

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Dionysusigma
October 8, 2003, 09:06 PM
Sooooooooooo many...:rolleyes:

Barrett M82A1
Browning .50
H & K GMG
Two MP5Ks (one for each hand) :D
Glock 17 (or 18, I can't remember which one was full-auto)
Pulse rifle from Aliens
Plasma rifle from Terminator
M240
MG-42
FG-42
Sten Mk.3
Walther P99
Desert Eagle .44
and so on...

standingbear
October 8, 2003, 09:24 PM
one of those full auto shotguns that look like an ar15.franchi make them?ive heard that there is little noticable recoil.

LiquidTension
October 8, 2003, 11:06 PM
The Death Star? :rolleyes:

Gimme the Sun Crusher any day :D Talk about big holes! :what:

Mike Irwin
October 9, 2003, 01:54 AM
"One of the big mortars the heinies were using to shell the Belgian forts in early WWI. 200 mm, IIRC."

Howitzers, actually.

And considerably bigger than that.

The Germans employed I believe 4 or 5 of these guns in assaulting the Belgian forts...

Several were made by Krupp and fired 420mm shells. That's 16.5 inches!

The others were made by Skoda in Austria and were, I believe, 380mm...

Ah, some pictures...

http://www.worldwar1.com/foto/ah189a.jpg

German Skoda-made 380mm firing on Fort Douaumont in Belgium in the opening days of the war.

Ah. Bingo... A picture of a Krupps 420cm howitzer of the type used to reduce the Belgian fortresses...

http://www.worldwar1.com/foto/tww201c.jpg

swingset
October 9, 2003, 04:30 AM
I'd liked to have shot the first HiPoint 9mm, at the designer of the thing. :D

TXBera
October 9, 2003, 04:49 AM
I'm with Balog on this one, an M82A1 with about a 1k rounds available.

Then make mine a BAR and a baby BAR.

Oooh, yeah, how about a grease gun too?

BluesBear
October 9, 2003, 05:05 AM
Y'all need to head out to Knob Creek this weekend.
Just about everything you have mentioned .50 or less will be there including the Flame Throwers.

I don't know if the guy with the GE Mini Gun still comes or not, since it caused the only fatality to date at Knob Creek.
In the late 90s it fell over and crushed his daughter. :(

Whatever y'all shoot, just be carefull with 'em.

Hal
October 9, 2003, 05:59 AM
What's your choice, Hal?
MaterDei - It's between the same one you'd want and the M2 Audie Murphy used when he won the CMH.
or maybe Clyde Barrow's BAR,,,,
or maybe the dueling pistol Burr used when he shot Hamilton,,
or maybe Hickcocks 1851 Navy,,

hehe,, there really are a lot:confused:

Well, to play by my own rules,,, since I did say only one,,

I'd go with :
The M2 Audie Murphy used.

duckfoot
October 9, 2003, 06:30 AM
30 kiloton shell from Atomic Annie

or a MLRS battery

MMMMMMUUUUURRRRHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:evil:

stevelyn
October 9, 2003, 11:58 AM
Anything in history? Hmmm.............I think an original (or faithful reproduction) hand-cranked Gatling gun in 45-70 mounted on a wheeled carriage would be a hoot. My second choice would be a Coehorn mortar.

cordex
October 9, 2003, 12:08 PM
I don't know if the guy with the GE Mini Gun still comes or not, since it caused the only fatality to date at Knob Creek.
You mean the guy with the tri-mount, right?
Usually there is at least one mini-gun there, but I seem to remember the last few years seeing one on either side of the line.

Here's (http://24.208.209.169/images/KCR/kcrMachineguns10.jpg) a picture of one that was there last year when they had the tank out there.

Some other pictures I took that time can be found here (http://24.208.209.169/images/KCR/).

gburner
October 9, 2003, 12:09 PM
I have loaded and fired a coehorn mortar multiple times and they are,
indeed, a hoot. We even made our own friction primers.

rajaniblue
October 9, 2003, 04:51 PM
Good grief, you guys think big.

The only gun I want to shoot more than any other, is my little Browning Lt. Grade Elite 20 ga. over and under, in conjunction with the dream that I've left the office behind, it's a perfect warm sunny fall afternoon and I've got pheasants upon pheasants without bag limits.

My needs are small.

jercamp45
October 9, 2003, 05:30 PM
Yes, to Bin Laden's cranial disintigration...same for SoDamn Insane!
Ma Duece and Mac-10 with suppressor WAS alot of fun!!!! Saw was the LAW rocket!!!! And the M60!!
I think I'd love to spend an afternoon working out with an MP-44/Stg45 with someone else's ammo.
Love to shoot the 460 Rowland outta one of my Government modelswith conversion barrel, of course!).
More time with the UMP .45...this time with a suppressor!!!

But I guess the favorite fantasy..would be to invite all the democratic anti gun types, HCI and all the other rabid anti gunners to a nice out door concert- music and entertainment provided by all those mouthy anti US/Gun hollyweird types......I will not mention my two favorite politicians that need to show up.......cuz one is employed by the state of NY.
Then launch the full complement of rockets loaded with submunitions from a handy MLRS into the group......
Then light up a nice stoogie to celebrate the new rallying cry of the anitgunner crowd...
'Outlaw rocket launcher's' (Ooops, they already are!!)
Jercamp45

SC_shooter
October 9, 2003, 08:10 PM
M-16
MP5
M2
45-70 black powder gatling gun

Ryder
October 9, 2003, 08:59 PM
Winchester M1887 lever-action shotgun.

Bayonet capable. The one Arnold uses in the Terminator movie was a 12 gauge. I'd settle for that. 10 gauges scare me.

vertigo7
October 9, 2003, 09:14 PM
I'll take one of the Imperial Stormtrooper blaster rifles from any of the Star Wars movies (the one made from Sterling SMGs). I've always wondered if the entire stormtrooper corps was filled with soldiers who were really lousy shots, or if they just continually failed to keep their blasters sighted in properly.... :D

Moparmike
October 9, 2003, 10:12 PM
I've always wondered if the entire stormtrooper corps was filled with soldiers who were really lousy shots, or if they just continually failed to keep their blasters sighted in properly.... Naahh, what you really have to ask yourself is this: If you filled a room half-full with Stormtroopers (who couldnt hit the broad side of a barn while inside of it) and half-full with red-shirted ensigns (who could die a bloody death from a paper-cut, sneezing, a tribble, sneezing a tribble, etc), what would happen?

Would the red-shirts live? Could the stormtroopers hit anything? Would the universe explode or a rupture in space time occur? :D:D:D:D

Would all bets be off if you incorporated the Starfleet Exploding Console Technologyâ„¢?:D :rolleyes:

mcshot
October 9, 2003, 10:25 PM
Bofors 40mm AA.:)

Stevie-Ray
October 11, 2003, 01:41 AM
A full broadside from the main battery of Adm. Yamamoto's flagship Yamato, the biggest, most powerful battlewagon ever built. 9 18 inch rounds each weighing 3600 pounds.

Hell's comin with em.

Sunray
October 11, 2003, 01:59 AM
Most SMG's and BMG's can be shot somewhere. Did the .50BMG at Second Chance, long ago, as well as a Vickers .30 cal water cooled, and an American 180 (.22lr), an M-16K(9mm) and a Reising SMG. I'd like to play with a 40mm Bofors too. And a Chopper(could have a 2nd Chance, but the guy wasn't there), a 20mm Solothurn would be cool. Any FA would be great fun. Like I say, most FA can be shot someplace. Knob Creel sounds like a good place to spend ones vacation now that Second Chance is no more. I'd kind of like to play with a .450 Nitro double rifle too. I'd settle for any double rifle though. Tank guns come to mind as well.

BamBam-31
October 11, 2003, 04:03 AM
Hitler's pistol.

Erik Jensen
October 11, 2003, 07:14 AM
an MG42

rrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dilettante
October 11, 2003, 07:47 AM
A full broadside from the main battery of Adm. Yamamoto's flagship Yamato, the biggest, most powerful battlewagon ever built. 9 18 inch rounds each weighing 3600 pounds.

What weighed 3600 pounds? The guns?

4570Rick
October 11, 2003, 08:08 AM
The forward guns on the Mighty MO or maybe a punt gun.:D

MaterDei
October 11, 2003, 09:37 AM
What weighed 3600 pounds? The guns?

No, the projectiles. Though this reference lists them as only 3200 lbs. It also says that they are 'armor piercing'. Ummm...Duh.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/japan/japsh-xz/yamato.htm

Baba Louie
October 12, 2003, 12:07 AM
A brand spankin new, fresh from the Saint Louie gunshop of Jake and Sam Hawkens 59 cal flintlock circa 1830 or so.

Barring that, one of Capt. Harry Truman's Battery "D" French 75's.

Adios

jrhead75
October 12, 2003, 01:30 AM
I need to add one to my previous answer. I want to fire a real live GI type BAR.

wingnutx
October 12, 2003, 02:02 AM
The one aimed at John Lennon.

Brian Dale
October 12, 2003, 02:19 AM
It also says that they are 'armor piercing'. Ummm...Duh. "Armor Vaporizing?"

I'll follow jrhead75's lead and add a top-quality, handbuilt London double gun to my first choice (which is a Ma Deuce). Take the double out after pheasant, my favorite bird. And jrhead, can I try that BAR after you?

Mike Irwin
October 12, 2003, 03:28 AM
Check out this webpage for specifics on the Yamato's main guns.

Yamato 18" main guns (http://www.warships1.com/Weapons/WNJAP_18-45_t94.htm)

Here's a picture of the ship being constructed...

http://www.warships1.com/Weapons/WNJAP_18-45_t94_Yamato_construction_pic.jpg

Dorian
October 12, 2003, 09:22 AM
Here's another vote for the minigun.

I'd personally like one of the ones that has it's ROF lowered and can be held by a normal man, but I'd go for one mounted as well.

Just so long as I'm not paying for the ammo!!!!! :)

seeker_two
October 12, 2003, 12:24 PM
Teddy Roosevelt's entire firearms collection---with TR as my shooting partner.

Being President, he probably had access to a lot of new firearms technology too--like that 20lb., 20-rd. automatic rifle that John Browning created--the BAR...:D

...or the Great White Fleet. :evil:

kentucky bucky
October 12, 2003, 02:43 PM
Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett's flintlock rifles.

PzGren
October 12, 2003, 02:56 PM
20mm loaded with "SprengBrand" , at 300 yards I'll toast your chicken, if you'll buy the beer.

gburner
October 12, 2003, 07:13 PM
'the one aimed at John Lennon'......

This response has got to go down in THR history as the opinion that is THE most illustrative of what we are about here on this forum. :scrutiny:

You make me wanna :barf:

NRA Instructor
October 12, 2003, 11:26 PM
My old M1 I named "Luke".

If you enjoyed reading about "If you could shoot any gun ever made at any time in history what would you choose?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!