For those of you that use AlumaHyde II

PDA

BsChoy
March 21, 2009, 06:18 PM
I recently got back into the semiauto 22 world with a basic 10/22 carbine (blue barrel and painted reciever) I purchased a few weeks ago. Now I have painted with Brownells Alumhyde II on at least five rifles and stocks in the past 3 years. The only thing I didn't like was the excessive cure time 7-30 days worth of it.

So with the new blue/painted carbine I tried something new. I bought a can of Parker Gray AHII. I stripped all the paint off the receiver. Prepped it accordingly and gave it a nice even coat. I then hung it in the oven starting at 170 degrees for an hour. I increased the temp to 180 then 190 after 2 hours. When I saw it wasn't harding I cranked it to 300 for 2 hours. The odor was extremely low and very easily forgotten. After that I took the part out and hung it in the rather cool garage for an hour. After it was cool the finish was exactly like it would be after a full long cure. Just remember that AHII builds a high finish and will add some material in the pin holes so you'll need a little force to get them in. Pics will be posted forthwith.

If you enjoyed reading about "For those of you that use AlumaHyde II" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "For those of you that use AlumaHyde II" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!