Question Colt Agent

PDA

Doublet
March 22, 2009, 09:51 AM
How do i know if a Colt Agent I have is a Round or Square Butt . Was manufacture in 1976 . Has a R Stamped on right side grip frame . Thx.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question Colt Agent" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
saemetric
March 22, 2009, 12:08 PM
If made in 1976 it would be a square butt, commonly known as a short square butt. All D frames after 1966 had the "short" square butt.

Old Fuff
March 22, 2009, 12:39 PM
Right! Colt intentionally cut the frame short so that a user could use any stocks made for the D-frame line. These would include the Detective Special, Police Positive Special, and Diamondback, as well as other models. You can convert any short-frame model to any stock configuration or size you want. :cool:

Jim Watson
March 22, 2009, 01:31 PM
As I recall, the Agent was the first of the short grip frame D Colts. Normally seen with short service style grip panels to match.

Later (1966 per saemetric) Colt started making all D frames that length and supplied the other models with grips that wrapped under the butt to fill them out to the standard outline.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question Colt Agent" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!