Help with a thread, please

PDA

JImbothefiveth
March 22, 2009, 01:26 PM
In the thread about an SKS in combat, I noticed all posts about the Vietnam war had been deleted except the one calling the Americans "imperialist aggressors". (I guess George Washington was also an imperialist aggressor) The post also isn't even related to the question, as it talks about AK-47s and RPGs, no mention of the SKS. I feel that this disrespects America and it's veterans, and therefore ask that that smear be removed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with a thread, please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
March 22, 2009, 01:40 PM
I did some additional housecleaning, but a link to a specific post would be useful.

JImbothefiveth
March 22, 2009, 01:42 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=5445791&postcount=53

rbernie
March 22, 2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think that it was intended as a smear as much as using the popular vernacular for such images.

Have you PMed the poster and expressed your concerns? That would probably be a good first step; I hate to edit it without y'all trying to work it out amongst yourselves.

JImbothefiveth
March 22, 2009, 01:49 PM
I don't think that it was intended as a smear as much as using the popular vernacular for such images.
Nonetheless, it calls the Americans "imperialist aggressors". I feel that this is insulting to our veterans.

Have you PMed the poster and expressed your concerns? No. However, there was a large discussion in the thread about it, so I'm not sure a PM would make any difference.

JImbothefiveth
March 22, 2009, 02:10 PM
I've sent a message requesting it be removed. So far no reply.

JImbothefiveth
March 22, 2009, 03:34 PM
I have tried to solve the problem, I sent the message, and I have gotten no reply. Would the moderaters please help with this?

Art Eatman
March 22, 2009, 04:22 PM
The "Imperialist Aggressors" line shoulld have had quotes, of course.

In the context of the picture, though, it struck me as merely a deliberate parroting of the revolutionary cant to which we've all been exposed for many a decade--and meant in this case as sarcasm.

IOW, quit worrying about what I see as your misinterpretation of the intent--or lack of intent, really.

JImbothefiveth
March 23, 2009, 12:04 AM
In the context of the picture, though, it struck me as merely a deliberate parroting of the revolutionary cant to which we've all been exposed for many a decade--and meant in this case as sarcasm. If you will read more of his posts, I do not believe it is sarcasm. He is trying to convince people of the effectiveness of guerilla warfare, and unfortunantly is willing to insult America to do so.

The classic guerrilla war image. Americans have armor, artillery, air power and infantry. Insurgents ambush the imperialist aggressors with AK-47s and RPGs.. If you read more of his posts, you will see that he is often trying to convince people of the effectiveness of guerilla warfare. This one is no different, and thus I do not believe it is sarcasm. He truly believes in it and would not say it sarcasticly, except perhaps the "imperialist aggressors". (However, I am not sure even this was sarcasm, as he further defended it in a now deleted post.) I am not requesting that the post be removed, only the line about "imperialist aggressors".

Art Eatman
March 23, 2009, 08:22 PM
Sorry, but I really think you're picking fly poop out of pepper. Lemme put it this way: I ain't gonna bother. Feel free to try to persuade some other mod to agree with you. :)

Jeff White
March 23, 2009, 09:07 PM
JImbo,
I just read the entire thread, including the deleted posts. I think you're seeing an insult where one was not intended. I read it the same way Art did, as parroting the same old propaganda line. Some of us who served even get a laugh from things like that. A captain I served with gave me a copy of the The Tunnels of Cu Chi right after it was published as a gift. He inscribed it; "To Running Dog" as in imperialist running dog a nickname he had given me. I wasn't insulted.

I don't think that Yokel is any less a patriot then anyone else here. I don't see any need to edit the thread further.

TimboKhan
March 24, 2009, 09:57 PM
Jimbo, I gotta tell ya, from the quote you provided I see nothing wrong given the context of the statement. I think he was just being a little sarcastic or whatever. For that matter, I scream "DIE YANKEE DOGS" virtually every time I shoot my SKS. Clearly, I do not wish for any Yankee dogs to perish, but it is funny to blast away at a target with bayonet extended while screaming it...

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with a thread, please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!