m1 garands in other calibers?

PDA

brian923
March 22, 2009, 07:00 PM
i was looking through some old magazines, and came across an excerpt in one of the "ask a question" catagories now in almost all gun magazines. the question asked was, " if the m1 garand could be converted into any other cartridges besides the 458 win mag" that the reader had read in a previous article of that particular magazine. (cant recall the specific magazine) the article imediatly fallowing basiclay stated that the m1 could be converted to anything that could be shuved into a 30-06 action. this included belted magnums... i dont see how this is possible? i would think that this would entail alot of work in the sence of finding the appropriate pressure load for the new cartridge as we already now that the m1 is suseptible to even 30-06 loads. i am aware of the .308 conersion, but i thought that even this conversion needed a new opp rod installed. can anyone elaborat on this, or point out web sites that explain more on this fact. i find it interesting. thanks guys, brian

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 garands in other calibers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 22, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'd think if nothing else, getting belted mags to work in 30-06 enbloc clips would be problematic.

As for the gas system, I suppose it could be tuned to any pressure curve, if you knew what you were doing with port sizes, or used an adjustable gas plug.

rc

bfoosh006
March 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
It is possible and is done by someone. I can't remember who...lettme check.

bfoosh006
March 22, 2009, 07:38 PM
Here you go........http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/458garand/458garand.html

thegoodlistener
March 22, 2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.mccannindustries.com/rifles/458garand/458garand.html

Dang you beat me to it.

Line Rider
March 22, 2009, 07:53 PM
A buddy of mine who was in the Navy in the eary 1980's told my that Boatswain's Mates used .308 converted M1 Garands to shoot mines out of the water.

Gewehr98
March 22, 2009, 10:26 PM
They were chambered in 8x57 Mauser, complete with Hebrew markings, etc. I missed buying one at a gun show a few years back, and kick myself for not having dones so.

That's not a bad idea, considering that as a new country in 1947, they were given all sorts of leftover WWII M1 Garands, as well as a bunch of 8x57 ammo.

I've got a spare Garand receiver in a desk drawer, and have been thinking about having somebody make me an 8mm M1 Garand barrel...

brian923
March 24, 2009, 07:23 PM
this sounds pretty interesting. i would like to have one done in maybe a 280, or even a 270. dont think it would do anything that the 30-06 couldnt do, but it would be interesting... thanks guys, for the info. i appreciate it. brian

Palo
March 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
+1 for 8mm Mauser Garands, seen both the Hebrew models (they didn't make many) and a couple made by a gunsmith that used to be located in the San Francisco bay area in the 1980's (he's out of the biz now). Also seen one in .25-06 that was pretty cool and sent a 120 gr. pill downrange at almost 3000 fps. Pretty accurate too.

jpwilly
March 24, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have a 308 Win Garand (converted from a 30-06 with a new Wilson Arms bbl). All it takes is a barrel swap for 308 Win. But you should also install the 308 Bullet guide witch will keep someone from unknowingly shoving 30-06 cartridges into the rifle. En bloc clips hold the 308 exactly the same as 30-06 because the 308 is just a shorter 30-06 cartridge. I've installed a Schuster Valve so I can play with any surplus ammo and or reloading powder out there -prevents damage to the op rod.

Many of those Navy M1's converted to 308 used a chamber adapters that tended to come loose and cause issues.

Onmilo
March 25, 2009, 12:45 AM
Some calibers that an M1 Garand can be converted to,
.270 Winchester, .25/06 Remington, 8mm, 7mm, 6.5mm Mauser,
.257 Roberts, .308 Winchester, .243 Winchester, .358 Winchester.

The cartrigdes that use the .30/06 and .308 work fine without major modifications, the mauser cartridges require some bolt work.

All barrels can be made from blank stock with a 19" lathe with a milling attachment.

In most cases the adjustable lock screw isn't neccessary, the 8mm Mauser would benefit from this addition, but trial and error to determine the proper gas port dimension is required.

The 'bullet guide isn't really a bullet guide, it is a magazine block that prevents loading longer cartridges in the shorter chamber guns.

In long case small bullet diameter the normal practice is to stamp or engrave the cartridge desingnation on the top of the front receiver ring.
http://www.fototime.com/4F924F3A1DC5DA7/standard.jpg

krs
March 25, 2009, 11:20 AM
I've barreled two of mine in .308. Using milsurp ammo (when it was more available) I never needed to make any pressure related changes as the 7.62x51 was meant to duplicate the government .30-06.

There's been several conversions to .243 for match use - the bullet tends to fly a little better.

I wouldn't want to go with a magnum caliber because I don't think the action would stand up for long. It was designed around a small fast caliber - .256 something or other (I'd need to turn around and look it up) with smaller pressures than .30-06 but the ordnance dept. would've been left with warehouses full of ammo.

8x57 could be alright I guess, but not as pleasant to shoot. Hard to say...

brian923
March 26, 2009, 05:12 PM
6mm-06 or 6.5-06 would be awsome! i think i might have another project on my hands... it never seems to end!!!

what kinda performance do you guys think you could get out of a garand and the 6.5-06?? anyone out there knwo where i can get a barrel made, and or changed out on my riflle? i would do it myself, but i dont have any of the tools for a garand. i can re-barrel bolt guns all day long, but i would hate to break something on my garand. is there a book out there that would help me figure out how to re-barrel a garand? if so, i have accses to a lathe(and someone who knows how to use it) milling machines and so forth. i would guess that chambering the barrel would be the same as bolt gun barrel, and conturing wouldnt be all that hard... i think that timing and gas port would be the hardest part of the whole operation...

didnt mean to be long winded... thanks guys, brian

MythBuster
March 26, 2009, 08:39 PM
A slighty smaller Garand about the size and weight of a Mini 14 in 7.62-39 would be fun.

jpwilly
March 26, 2009, 09:46 PM
It was designed around a small fast caliber - .256 something or other (I'd need to turn around and look it up) with smaller pressures than .30-06 but the ordnance dept. would've been left with warehouses full of ammo.

The 276 peterson originally but was upsized to 30-06 and it can take a beating.

A slighty smaller Garand about the size and weight of a Mini 14 in 7.62-39 would be fun.

Maybe a Mini 30 or SKS is in your future.

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 garands in other calibers?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!