Types of revolver frames

PDA

Bravo11
October 8, 2003, 03:02 PM
This has probably been asked before but here goes.
Can anyone tell me the different revolver frame types and give an example of each.
I own autos and don't know much about revolvers but I'm always hearing things like J frame, K frame, N frame, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Types of revolver frames" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ruger357
October 8, 2003, 03:17 PM
J frame the smallest, ex. mod.36
K frame is the next size up ex. mod.66
N frame is a little biger ex. mod.629
I think the mod.500 uses the X frame. The largest.

BluesBear
October 8, 2003, 04:29 PM
We just did this 2 weeks ago (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41362)

Standing Wolf
October 8, 2003, 05:20 PM
Small, medium, large, and in between.

Sorry.

chaim
October 8, 2003, 05:52 PM
I don't know the Taurus and Ruger designations (if they even use letter designations). Colt and S&W use different designations. However, usually people seem to use the S&W designations (which they don't officially use anymore BTW) as an easy shorthand.

Small-frame: J-frame

Medium-frame: K-frame, though in the early 80s S&W came out with a beefed up medium frame that is still a medium frame revolver, the L-frame (the 586, 686, 581, 681, 696). The L-frame and Ruger GP 100 are about the same size and strength.

Large-frame: N-frame

The only Colt designation that I am really familiar with is the D-frame which is their small frame and just a tad bigger than the J-frame.

ruger357
October 9, 2003, 07:15 AM
Oops, forgot about the L-frame.

If you enjoyed reading about "Types of revolver frames" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!