I need more of your infinite knowledge

PDA

jto2009usmc
March 23, 2009, 12:08 AM
I have the opportunity to make some purchases but I need to check in with you fellows to make sure it is worth the purchase. I have NO idea about either of these rifles.

The first is a Yugo SKS for $150. The stock is very well kept, very few dings and the metal is preserved. Very clean. comes with two 20 round mags.

the second is a Lever action 250 savage. It is also well kept but i think he is asking a bit much at $275.

I asked him to hold on to them for me until Monday afternoon, if you folks think that the deal is worth it i'll make sure i pick them up.
Thanks ahead of time!
John

If you enjoyed reading about "I need more of your infinite knowledge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MachIVshooter
March 23, 2009, 12:31 AM
Right now, Yugo SKS's are typically selling for $250 to $300, so I'd go for that one. Need more info on the other to say yeah or neah.

rmuzz
March 23, 2009, 12:41 AM
I was at a gun show in Minneapolis last Sunday, I wasn't looking hard at SKS rifles but I'd say MachIV's price range is pretty accurate from what I saw.

jto2009usmc
March 23, 2009, 02:46 AM
Well, on the savage 250 it looked as though it had been left out in the sun for too long almost, the wood was darker on one side than on the other. It was not warped at all, just discolored. When i inspected the barrel there was a ding on the bottom side, looked like someone had dropped it on the barrel, perhaps on a rock? the action was smooth, someone had taken relative care of it beyond that i assume?

22LRFan
March 23, 2009, 02:53 AM
I would recommend the Yugo SKS for that price, even if you were only interested in flipping it for more money.

Ignition Override
March 23, 2009, 03:40 AM
As most SKS rifles appear to only have a fixed 10-rd. magazine, could the offered mag. be made to fit and feed reliably, or could a spare be found and easily made to fit without great expense? Aftermarket mags etc are not known to work well in so many of them.

But if the mag is no problem, and the selector valve by the grenade launcher is not corroded (or the gas tube and piston) by corrosive Yugo ammo,
i.e. Samco's Yugo ammo, it appears to be a really good deal.

Many people at "SKSboards" also have a wealth of experience with anything and everything. The SKS appears to be a critical feature of their 'preparation lifestyle'.
They even have forums for Russian and Albanian types, among others. That is mostly where I've quite often read (for many months) about certain things to look for, not just about my Norinco.
Along with "SKSboards", there is a list of SKS sites at "www.123exp-warfare.com".

If you enjoyed reading about "I need more of your infinite knowledge" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!