AR-15's

PDA

BCPerry
March 23, 2009, 09:43 AM
Hey guys. Great news, the wife has just told me to go by my first AR. So I need a little help. Which ones are the best, and which ones should I stay away from? What's your opinions?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
March 23, 2009, 10:52 AM
Our opinions are vast and varied.

First thing's first... what would be the intended purpose of this AR?

Evenflo76
March 23, 2009, 10:52 AM
At this point, It is a bit late to get in to the AR game. What is your budget? Is that figure just for a rifle, or are you including optics/sights, magazines, ammo ... ?

I would say that you may be hard pressed to find any AR variant by a reputable manufacturer for <$1,000.

Manufacturers that are safe, IMO

Colt

LMT

RRA

DPMS

Bushmaster

to name a few. I'm not going to get into the "Which is best" discussion. That poor dead horse is getting beaten as we speak.

My advice would be to check forum classifieds and similar avenues. Deals are out there, just few and far between.

My $0.02

45B@cav
March 23, 2009, 11:01 AM
I've used Stag parts for some builds and I'm impressed with the quality. I don't think you could go wrong with Stag.

Prion
March 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
You can still find AR's, depends a bit on where you live, but you will pay a bit more. It's never too late to get into the AR game, maybe a little early actually. If the economy keeps tanking and no AWB is passed soon I think the AR market will soon be back to normal prices. Do not despair.

I'll add Smith and Wesson's MP-15 series to the list above.

CoRoMo
March 23, 2009, 11:04 AM
At this point, It is a bit late to get in to the AR game.

Disagree. I bought a fine AR a few weeks ago at a very good deal.
There are in fact many, many out there at a year ago's price.
Just avoid the online auctions.

...be hard pressed to find any AR variant by a reputable manufacturer for <$1,000.

Manufacturers that are safe, IMO

RRA

DPMS

Bushmaster

I've seen plenty of these very brands in the $800 range NIB.
I'd throw in S&W M&P15, and I've also seen some of them in the $800 range.

Eb1
March 23, 2009, 11:05 AM
Nothing wrong with CMMG or White Oak.

Lightninstrike
March 23, 2009, 11:08 AM
Nothing wrong with CMMG or White Oak.

Yep and LWRC ain't bad either.

CoRoMo
March 23, 2009, 11:11 AM
+1 on Stag. I'll eventually own one.
Charles Daly too.

Mainsail
March 23, 2009, 12:16 PM
...the wife has just told me to go by my first AR.

You might ask her to clarify this a little. If she told you to “go by your first AR” she means that you should go get near your first AR. If, however, she told you to go buy your first AR, then you’re free to purchase an AR with her blessings (assuming she wasn’t being sarcastic). This distinction is critical to both your firearms purchase and your marriage.

Coronach
March 23, 2009, 01:18 PM
The first thing you need to ask is "what am I going to use this AR for?" Specifically:

How many rounds per year will I put through this gun? Be honest.

Will I be taking expensive rifle/carbine training courses?

Is this a multi-purpose plinker, a dedicated varmit gun, a tack-driver paper-puncher, a stand-up fighting gun, what?

All of these answers will have an impact on what you should buy, and prevent you from buying more or less gun than you need.

Mike

Matrix187
March 23, 2009, 02:23 PM
How do Del-Tons stack up. Are they about on par with bushmaster?

jaybr
March 23, 2009, 02:29 PM
I just picked up my first AR about a month ago, a Smith & Wesson M&P15. Can't give a report yet as it's been sitting in the safe waiting for optics. When I was shopping, all reviews I read where very good.

Evenflo76
March 23, 2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, many an AR has been built out their parts kitsHow do Del-Tons stack up. Are they about on par with bushmaster?

f8talh8red
March 23, 2009, 02:32 PM
i would go with an olympic arms. on the cheaper side, very reliable, made in the northwest so you know they take weather into accountability. they have great customer service and a lifetime warranty. and its chambered for both
.223 and 5.56. well built, no problems whatsoever. would highly recommend.

+1 to olympic arms

CoRoMo
March 23, 2009, 03:02 PM
Mainsail...

To split hairs here, if she is telling him to pass within proximity of his first AR, it would still have to be his first AR. Ownership has been implied and is part of the commandment. Therefore, acquisition of his personal property through purchase is a prerequisite to the act. He must purchase the gun before he can complete his wife's wishes. Otherwise, he's simply visiting an AR that isn't his own.

:p:D:p:neener::neener::p:D:p

Eb1
March 23, 2009, 03:04 PM
I see it as "first". Meaning that there will be more to come..:p

mljdeckard
March 23, 2009, 04:12 PM
I would spend the next couple of months doing homework. Order a couple of detailed books on them from Amazon. (Or wherever.) Go to Brownells.com and order their free AR catalog. You can build a lower very easily. When you have a detailed understanding of the gun YOU built, the brand matters much less, because YOU can fix or modify it as you want to.

Gary G23
March 23, 2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1283

March 23, 2009, 05:53 PM
Don't forget Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne.:evil:

CoRoMo
March 23, 2009, 06:04 PM
Go to Brownells.com and order their free AR catalog.

I think they no longer offer that catalog.

I agree to the notion of research. Before I bought my first AR, I searched and researched every type, style, and brand that I could read about. Ended extremely happy with my choice.

Ed Ames
March 23, 2009, 06:08 PM
brownells has an online AR builder that is very slick. Nothing is in stock of course but it's fun and shows prices/pictures and allows you to save builds and order.

Http://www.ar15builder.com/

Mainsail
To split hairs here, if she is telling him to pass within proximity of his first AR, it would still have to be his first AR. Ownership has been implied and is part of the commandment. Therefore, acquisition of his personal property through purchase is a prerequisite to the act. He must purchase the gun before he can complete his wife's wishes. Otherwise, he's simply visiting an AR that isn't his own.

True. I guess it may all be in her tone of voice. Women are tricky like thatů

;)

eitrheim31
for the price i like RRA, can't be beat (i say this because thats what i have)

briansmithwins
Function dictates form and the AR is the LEGO of the gun world. My personal rifle is a 16" lightweight with Aimpoint. It's intended use is urban defense and our local rifle matches.

My wife's rifle is a 20" lightweight with 4X ACOG, which is close to the rifle she had when she was in the military.

Neither of our rifles has free floated handguards since the accuracy criteria we have is 'will it hit a man sized target at 400 yards?'

You really, really, have to decide what you want the rifle to do before you buy parts, assuming of course you have a limited budget.

BSW

mljdeckard
March 23, 2009, 08:14 PM
Yep, it's still there, and still free. brownells.com

mljdeckard
March 23, 2009, 08:15 PM
delayed double-tap

punkndisorderly
March 23, 2009, 09:21 PM
I think it would be easier to tell you which to avoid than which are good.

As long as you stay away from parts guns that show up at gun shows sometimes, you should be OK. By parts guns, I mean guns that have name brand upper and lower receivers, but the rest of the gun was assembled with whatever the cheapest nonbrand/surplus/factory second parts they could lay their hands on and put together by someone who may, or may not know what they're doing.

Another name to add to the good list: Armalite. I've been very, very happy with mine. Not easy to find in most shops for some reason.

dscottw88
March 24, 2009, 12:20 AM
Stag, LMT, CMMG, LAR...

PeteyPete
March 24, 2009, 12:22 AM
Don't overlook the S&W M&P15 series....excellent quality.

PT1911
March 24, 2009, 12:27 AM
my vote... DPMS>.. great variety".. good quality... "reasonalbe" price.

10-Ring
March 24, 2009, 12:31 AM
Dude -- you're coming pretty late to the party! It's been tough lately to get what you want w/o a substantial wait or pretty good price increase --
there are a lot of good manufacturers out there -- just get the configuration you want at a price you (and your wife) can live with and don't settle since you don't know when the little lady will let you do this again ;)

Hostile Amish
March 24, 2009, 12:43 AM
S&W, Colt, LMT, or Stag will do just fine.

PT1911
March 24, 2009, 12:51 AM
I have not been impressed with the most recent AR's produced by Colt.. they are just poorly made...just over the last couple years... prior to that, they were the best of the best... not sure what happened... just feel cheap now.

Cliph
March 24, 2009, 01:07 AM
A the local gunshow last weekend they were selling DPMS flat tops for $950.

model of 1905
March 24, 2009, 01:55 AM
www.danieldefense.com

HippieMagic
March 24, 2009, 03:12 AM
When I ordered the catalog from brownells I tried to get both the AR-15 one and the 1911 one... The 1911 one came in about a week and I checked my email that day and had an email containing an AR-15 catalog so they may just be emailing out now because of the demand.

I was actually interested in building something but I will probably take it slow. I only have $600 for a gun and I prefer to buy a M&P 40 at the time being... I will probably piece together my own AR as a future project when this crazy chills out.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!