Aperture Front Sight?

PDA

Davandron
March 23, 2009, 10:35 PM
Does anyone on here use a front aperture sight / post on their rifles? I'm wondering if they are an improvement when used on a general purpose rifle with an aperture rear sight.

The KNS sights seem to be the most common for the AR-platform (see here (http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/SIGHTS%20AR-15%20AR-10%20M-16%20SR-25.htm)) but I also spotted this Levang Aperture (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=281804) at Midway. This review (http://www.coloradoshooting.org/kns.htm) was positive of KNS but wasn't sure if it helped.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Aperture Front Sight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
plinky
March 23, 2009, 11:59 PM
I have dual apertures on one rifle (Savage MkII FVT) and for shooting bullseye targets, they are hard to beat. A post obviously approachs the bull from only one side, distorting the sight picture. An aperture surrounds the bull and your eye judges when the bull is centered. It's very natural.

A globe sight would be my first choice as you can vary the aperture size to match the bull.

PurdueRifleman2008
March 24, 2009, 07:19 AM
For target/match shooting, yes, they work great. For hunting, I'd rather just use tangent sights.

bhk
March 24, 2009, 09:49 AM
Perfect for bullseyes. Not good for much else. When I was younger I had a target rifle with interchangable apertures for the front Lyman sight. With the front aperture properly sized for the bulleye, accuracy was almost on par with a scoped rifle.

joem5636
July 2, 2010, 07:23 PM
I just switched to a Levang aperture front sight after trying for several years to adjust to shooting with a post front sight. I find the Levang works far better for my old eyes as I can see the target clearer and do not have to contend with a varying sight picture of the front sight. I do wish they came in somewhat smaller diameters. I also wish they were brazed instead of soldered -- they are pretty delicate and the pipe aperture will easily break off the post (I re-soldered mine but for the price brazing would seem to be a far better solution).

I doubt that the other aperture sights with cross-"hairs" would work better but I have not tried them.

Best,

Joe

Vern Humphrey
July 2, 2010, 08:18 PM
When I was younger I had a target rifle with interchangable apertures for the front Lyman sight. With the front aperture properly sized for the bulleye, accuracy was almost on par with a scoped rifle.
I have just such a sight on a .30-30 which I bought in 1964. For woods hunting, you take out the insert and use just the front tube in conjunction with the rear aperature. It is a very fast sight.

Float Pilot
July 2, 2010, 08:22 PM
I use one on my Swede CG-63 target rifle and my 50-90 Sharps. Again for target work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Aperture Front Sight?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!