MilSpec or Comm Tube on my AR?

PDA

HMMurdock
March 24, 2009, 07:48 AM
I am looking at getting a Magpul CTR stock (or the MOE, when I figure out what the difference is) and it says it is for MilSpec tubes, not Commerical. I have a Bushmaster AR I recently bought at a shop, new, with nothing changed on it. How do I know if I have a commerical or MilSpec tube?

If you enjoyed reading about "MilSpec or Comm Tube on my AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gary G23
March 24, 2009, 01:23 PM
You can measure the diameter.
1.14" is milspec
1.17" is commercial

Every Bushy I have seen has been commercial.

tunnug
March 24, 2009, 01:49 PM
Easiest way to tell without measurement, take a look at the threads, if they stick out past the tube it's milspec, if they're even with the tube it's commercial.

bushmasterar15
March 24, 2009, 02:07 PM
Every bushy that I've had had a commercial tube on it.

SimpleIsGood229
March 24, 2009, 09:21 PM
Mil-spec tubes are generally 4- or 5-position, while commercial-spec are generally 6-position, if I'm not mistaken.

The CTR has a friction lock which removes any play between the stock and buffer tube, while the MOE does not. I highly recommend the CTR. I love mine.

March 24, 2009, 09:46 PM
Yep ... Bushmaster has the commercial tube.

Here's a link to Bushmaster's FAQ section and their answer to the question of which size tube they use.

http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/afmmain.aspx?faqid=1317

:)

Zach S
March 24, 2009, 09:49 PM
BM uses commercial stocks. You can either find a commercial CTR, or swap the buffertube out for a mil-spec (I used a stag).

As stated above, the CTR has a friction lock that locks up solid, the MOE lacks that friction lock, it just looks like the CTR, and rattles like an M4.

For future reference:

Mil-spec:
Threads larger than the buffertube. If you have calipers, the tube is 1.140 diameter, the threads are 1.188, +/- about .010" maybe .015"
4 or 5 position, although I think stags are 6. (edit: just checked mine, its 6)
The back is straight, doesn't sit flush with the stock when it collapsed.

Commercial:
Threads and tube are the same size, 1.170 (+/- .010)
The back is normally angled to match the stock, and is almost flush when collapsed.
6 position

CMMG used to use a cross breed between the two. The diameter and threads were mil-spec, but it was 6 position and has the slanted back to match the stock, like the commercial buffer tube. I believe they use mil-spec 5 pos tubes now.

March 24, 2009, 10:05 PM
I stopped by my local gun shop this morning to buy a Troy front sight (HK folding battle sight) and ending up buying a bunch of other stuff too including a Vltor Emod buttstock (commercial) for my Bushmaster lower/POF upper along with 5 MagLevel™ PMAG™ magazines and a MagPul MOE grip. :D I wanted/needed the other items anyway so I figured I might as well get them while I was there.

:)

Pickles
April 15, 2009, 12:06 AM
Are Rock River Arms LAR-15's usually commercial, specifically the Entry Tactical?

<sorry in advance for dumb question, my Entry Tactical is currently in the mail on it's way to a local FFL>

Zach S
April 15, 2009, 11:41 AM
Are Rock River Arms LAR-15's usually commercial, specifically the Entry Tactical?
Commercial.

Commerical:

RRA
Bushmaster
DPMS
Double Star
Sabre Defense(?)

Mil-Spec:
CMMG
Stag
Noveske
CD
S&W
LMT
Colt
Spike's Tactical (I think)

I dont know about Armalite (mil-spec, I think), and I dont feel like searching for the much hated chart.

On a side note, it would appear that Mil Spec buffer tubes are becoming the standard, with only a few companies not using them.

If you by a no name collapsible stock, assume its a commercial. Most aftermarket mil spec stocks are advertised as such.

yehork
April 17, 2009, 05:29 PM
As a side note, DPMS offers both Commercial and Mil-Spec tubes, so you could have either if you have a DPMS.

Our base model rifles come with the commercial tube, except the Mark 12 which has a Mil-Spec and the Mil-Spec tube is an upgrade for others.

The easiest way to tell the difference on a DPMS is the commercial tube we sell is a 6 position and the Mil-Spec is a 5 position (including fully open and fully closed).

If you enjoyed reading about "MilSpec or Comm Tube on my AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!