Primer Question

PDA

Mattkc
October 8, 2003, 09:59 PM
I'm loading some 357 158 gr. xtps with 18gr. of Lil'gun. Are small pistol primers ok or do I need to get magnum. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
October 8, 2003, 10:05 PM
As far as I know, regular small pistol primers will work fine. I was shooting some .357/Lil Gun/Winchester SPP loads within the hour.

P95Carry
October 8, 2003, 10:20 PM
Just my .02 but .. I honestly fail to see a real need for mag primers with mag loads. It is of course argued that they are more energetic ... ''more fire'' and so better ignition ... I have yet to be convinced from a subjective viewpoint.

Most tho do suggest a ''play safe'' move whereby you assume that pressures will be higher with mag primers and so download a tad .. hardly seems much point to me!! Regular always served me - just fine.

Just perhaps ... I might with mega hot loads consider a small rifle primer - purely cos of being a tad thicker ...... and so less likely to perforate but tho I load hot .... not that hot!! Much!!

Mattkc
October 8, 2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the info the regular primers have worked fine for my lite-mid loads so I'll stick with them.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
October 9, 2003, 12:59 AM
Standard power Federal and Winchester primers I use for all of my calibers. The only times I have used a magnum primer is for shooting wax bullets

Mike Irwin
October 9, 2003, 05:47 PM
I've found that Magnum primers give better consistency when I'm loading heavy charges of WW 296.

That's the only use I have for them, though.

And once my old stock is gone, Winchester now indicates that the small pistol primers are good for both regular and magnum loads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primer Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!