Trying to the most out of my 357mag rifles

PDA

padd54
March 25, 2009, 04:17 PM
Would the 357 Remington Max. cartridge safely work in my Puma 92 and Marlin 1894 357mag rifles?

I remember reading and article where the writer extended the OAL well past 1.590" to achieve the best results.
How can you determine what the max OAL of your rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "Trying to the most out of my 357mag rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
March 25, 2009, 04:26 PM
In my opinion the marlin and puma would not be up to the additional pressures of the maximum. Not to mention that such a rifle would be a single shot.

I have a 357 handi rifle on the way that I intend to convert to max. But that rifle frame is rated to 65K psi

357 max SAAMI pressure level for this cartridge is set at 48,000 psi.

357 mag SAAMI pressure level for this cartridge is set at 35,000 psi.

padd54
March 25, 2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. How do I find out what pressure my rifles are rated? I remember reading that the pressures were lowered in recent years.
What does the conversion entail?

R.W.Dale
March 25, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. How do I find out what pressure my rifles are rated? I remember reading that the pressures were lowered in recent years.
What does the conversion entail?

there is no conversion, 357 MAX is far far too long and operates at much much too high a pressure to work in either the puma or the marlin.

The only rifles I'm aware of that can be converted are break action single shots, in those it's a simple ream job

wcwhitey
March 25, 2009, 07:32 PM
Padd, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Longer range, less trajectory or foot pounds of energy. The right handloads with .357 can change the characteristics of your rifle.

greyling22
March 25, 2009, 07:56 PM
I have a 257AI so I understand the allure of a more exotic round, but for the price of a reamer you could just buy a used 30/30. easier to feed too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trying to the most out of my 357mag rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!