LCP problems, need advice...

PDA

BoneDigger
March 25, 2009, 06:43 PM
My new, post recall, LCP is having serious FTE issues. Here's a little background.

I bought this new and took it directly to the range, uncleaned (2 weeks ago). I fired 100 rounds of WWB through it. I had two FTEs in that first 100 rounds. I chalked it up to no initial cleaning. I took the gun down and did a good cleaning, lightly oiled the rails, then put it back together.

Today I took the gun to the range and fired 150 rounds of various ammo (WWB, Remington, UMC). I immediately started having extraction issues. By the end of the session, I couldn't get through a single magazine (6 rounds) without having AT LEAST one FTE and sometimes two. Several times the gun left a fired casing in the barrel at the end of the magazine (last shot) and didn't even get it part of the way out. Most of the time the round would be caught either part of the way out of the barrel, or just outside of the barrel.

I had no failures to feed or to fire. My wrist is just fine (not limp wristing).

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do about this or does it need to go back to Ruger under warranty?

Todd

If you enjoyed reading about "LCP problems, need advice..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDGray
March 25, 2009, 07:15 PM
I'd be using that warranty. When I sent my P345 back to Prescott, I talked to the warranty dept, and insisted on a return shipping label, which they happily sent me. Had a KT P11 that broke the stamped steel ejector, acted like your Ruger. Not sure how close a design it is, since I've never seen a LCP.
Good luck! I was only without my gun for a total of 7 days, and UPS will deliver it to your door;)

searcher451
March 25, 2009, 09:09 PM
Send it back. Why wouldn't ya? Ruger has excellent customer service; there's no reason to keep the thing in your hands and wonder whether it will work the next time you pull it out. And that's especially true if you plan to or are using it as a concealed carry piece.

The Lone Haranguer
March 25, 2009, 10:36 PM
It sounds like an extractor problem. Although it is disappointing and frustrating, let Ruger handle it. At least they will take care of you, although there is no written warranty per se.

Burl
March 25, 2009, 11:31 PM
Ruger is a stand-up company and will make it right. Call them and they may have questions and suggestions but they will make it right. My friends LCP went back a 2nd time due to failure to return to battery and they fixed it free and free shipping both ways.

skinewmexico
March 26, 2009, 12:27 AM
Yeah, Ruger has a lot of experience fixing LCPs, send it back.

Big Daddy Grim
March 26, 2009, 12:30 AM
Ruger will do you right but extractor probably was a dud.

moooose102
March 26, 2009, 06:14 PM
JMO, i would first spray the heck out of the ejector area with gun scrubber (and compressed air if you have it) before i sent it back. not that ruger wouldn't fix it for free anyway, but why live without your gun if it is just gunk? if that does not cure it, send that puppy in!

BoneDigger
March 26, 2009, 07:02 PM
Going in the mail back to Ruger tomorrow. I cleaned it well before the second outing and it was even worse than before. So, gotta go...

Ruger is willing to reimburse my shipping "If it is found to be a warranty issue." In other words, I pay shipping and then if they find it is a problem with the gun, they will reimburse me.

We'll see what happens now...

Todd

If you enjoyed reading about "LCP problems, need advice..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!