How much does a good LE Jungle C. usually sell for?

PDA

Ignition Override
March 26, 2009, 03:23 AM
This is just for planning about a year from now, or later, but a guy ordered one last year in a nearby store, and he paid about $500 for a very nice example. Handled it and found it as desireable as an MN 44, but much more expensive. Have read that there are many fakes available.

Also, is the cheaper .303 ammo (corrosive or not) getting more expensive?

If you enjoyed reading about "How much does a good LE Jungle C. usually sell for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
madcratebuilder
March 26, 2009, 08:38 AM
Yes, there are fake No5MkI jungle carbines floating around. surplusrifle.com has a sticky on ID'ing No5's. In the past importers converted No4MKII's to No5's
Two things to look for that can't be faked. The receiver has several lightening cuts done to it and the rear sight is marked to 800yds instead of 1300yds. It may or may not have a metal nose cap. It should be marked No5 MKI on the left side of the receiver.
You should be able to find a 95%+ rifle for 4-600 bucks. Several listed on gunbroker.
Yes, ammo is spendy.

porsche
March 26, 2009, 09:15 AM
i bought a nice one from allans armory last fall for 300$. only issue is that trigger, barrel band and rear metal are chromed as was used for parade or ceremony. he gets them from time to time and accuratly describes. you cut off the middle man if you get a C&R. havent shot, but have read the experience not pleasant as rifle light and butt pad is raised and small.

doubs43
March 26, 2009, 09:31 AM
The two biggest problems with the Jungle Carbine are the recoil and a "wandering zero". The latter problem is why the Brits stopped production altogether. They could never satisfactorily solve the problem of the wandering zero. Sight the rifle today and tomorrow it will not shoot to the same POA.

Even so, the JC is light, handy and very neat. If you can find a nice original, go for it!

Rubber_Duck
March 26, 2009, 11:08 AM
I've been waiting for one of these threads to pop up.

I happen to have one of the "fake" Jungle Carbines. Mine is marked No.4 Mk.1, picked it up for $275 at a gunshow after some haggling. I like the Enfield for what is it, a very fast-cycling, high-capacity bolt-action design with good, accurate sights, but I never liked how they looked in standard configuration, but the JC has an almost sporterized look, yet they are authentic as they were actually made that way for a certain time. I am also very fond of shorter rifles. I like the Jungle Carbines a lot but I wasn't about to pay 500-600 dollars for a true No.5, and the fake ones may actually be better shooters since the wandering zero is supposedly caused by the lightening cuts on the barrels and receivers that the real No.5 carbines have.

I have shot my pseudo-JC and it shoots straight and consistently, I haven't tested for accuracy but so far I've been able to hit water jugs and such out to 150 yards. The rifle handles and balances very well, and recoil is IMO surprisingly mild (compared to a Mosin-Nagant carbine or an 8mm Kar 98K). The ammo situation is a crapshoot, however. I have some S&B FMJ that I was able to acquire from a private seller, but in general .303 Brit unavailable locally and is expensive online. I also have a box of Radway Green surplus but I don't plan on shooting any of it, as I hear it has all dried up and I got a good deal on it at $8 for a 32-round box. One option I have been considering is rechambering the rifle for 7.62x54R or better yet, 7.62 NATO (to keep it "western"), however there is an issue with bore diameter (.308" vs .311") and making the mags work with the aforementioned cartridges. Another option is reloading, but then Enfield chambers were made oversized to allow the use of dirty/corroded cartridges and as such the brass swells excessivley upon being fired and is not as reloadable as other calibers.

I am by no means a Lee-Enfield expert (far from it, actually) but the above info comes from my own research on the subject, any information/corrections from other members is more than welcome.

Here is a pic of my No.4 Mk.1 "fake" SMLE Jungle Carbine (notice the stock is "incorrect" for the JC):

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=95076&stc=1&d=1238080098

porsche
March 26, 2009, 11:28 AM
just checked allan's armory website. he has one left. been on site for a week, maybe longer. 320$ with a description. sounds a little rough, but also sounds like could be made into shooter easily with tightening of the stock at barrel band.

SharpsDressedMan
March 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
Duh. I was reading LE as law enforcement at first.........

cane
March 26, 2009, 01:53 PM
I have learned that replacing the JC's hard rubber butplated stock with a regular No 4 stock tames a lot of the kick.

Rubber_Duck
March 26, 2009, 08:52 PM
Do the No.5 and No.4 stocks habe a different LOP?

alemonkey
March 26, 2009, 09:36 PM
Regarding the brass stretching, you can alleviate that by only neck sizing when you reload the brass. That way it will only stretch once.

If you enjoyed reading about "How much does a good LE Jungle C. usually sell for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!