Barrel band and accuracy

PDA

nachosgrande
March 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
I'm always hearing about how accuracy is greatly reduced on guns designed with a barrel band instead of free floating. But then I look at guns like the Springfield 1903 and it's just covered head to toe in barrel bands and it's supposed to be very accurate. Is there a way to design a gun with barrel bands that make it accurate, or have accuracy standards just gone up since then?

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel band and accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pulse
March 26, 2009, 02:26 PM
my honest opinion?
free floating is overrated.

yes, it helps, but it gets blown way out of proportion.

gvnwst
March 26, 2009, 02:32 PM
Free floating shows up best when you;
A: are using a really tight sling.
B: it is really how, you have a thinner barrel, and you are shooting a lot.
Those things tend to mess with the barrel a lot, and that is when free float really comes into the picture.

Kivaari
March 26, 2009, 02:39 PM
I agree that free floating is not the "end all" for accuracy for every rifle.

If I was building a fat barreled varmint gun or tactical rifle, then yes, for sure. Consider the Enfield, which has an interior barrel band and spring loaded screw for "dampening" and also 10/2 contact at the muzzle. Finnish 39s use a very slight barrel contact. "Featherweight" rifles or similar with "buggy whip" barrels respond to stock tip pressure...and on and on

Big_E
March 26, 2009, 03:37 PM
My Rem. 700 SPS is not free-floated and it shoots just as well as my friends Savage that is. Though with a new stock or modding the cheap factory one I am sure it will be more accurate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel band and accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!