Any Truckers Out There?

PDA

NeverAgain26
October 9, 2003, 02:05 AM
When I was younger, I had an uncle who used to drive cross-country. One night back then when we were driving upstate, I saw a trucker wanting to pull into his lane. He dimmed his headlights totally and when the trucker was in the right lane, the trucker blinked his tail lights twice.

I inquired as to the meaning of this and my uncle told me it was a road courtesy to let the trucker know he was slowing to allow him into the lane and when the truck's tail was clear of my uncle's front end.

Since then I have done this and I want to be courteous to people who's lives are tied to the roads. But I am not clear on proper procedure.

When a truck wants to come into my lane, I usually slow up and dim my lights. What does that mean? I know s/he knows I am letting him in. But where does the part about signalling when their rear end is clear of your front end come in? What about if s/he is not clear or there is some other reason s/he should not make the lane change yet? Do you flash your brights?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can guide me in this as I have a lot of respect for these people who's home is on the raodways.

By the way, I am the least PC person I ever met. The s/he I used is because I do recognize that there are lady truckers on the road, too.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

NA26

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Truckers Out There?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tamara
October 9, 2003, 02:06 AM
Unfortunately, this is OT.

Hopefully someone will answer you via PM.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Truckers Out There?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!