BSA Sweet scopes good or bad

PDA

bessemerbob
March 26, 2009, 07:14 PM
Looking at the BSA 223 Sweet for my range gun. Anybody have one? What have people been saying about these newer guys on the market?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "BSA Sweet scopes good or bad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
280shooter
March 26, 2009, 09:26 PM
they are what they are for the money,,
I have one on my air rifle. seems very clear..and stay on zerro for now..My friend had one on his 223, the upper powers were very blury he took it off,
so they are what they are for the money,

280shooter
March 26, 2009, 09:30 PM

http://opticstalk.com/

popeyespappy
March 26, 2009, 09:31 PM
I've got a Sweet 22 on my 10/22 and a Sweet 17 on a Savage 93R17. I've been pretty happy with them to date and haven't had any trouble with either one of them yet. But my are on rimfire rifles....

Ghost Tracker
March 26, 2009, 09:33 PM
No BSA scopes for me, thanks! I would rather find a used low/mid grade Bushnell Banner. As 280shooter says above, they are what they are. BTW, you didn't mention what your "range gun" is. It could make a difference in what brand/grade of scope all of we brilliant opinionators think you need. ;)

bessemerbob
March 26, 2009, 10:00 PM
223 Savage 12FV

Ghost Tracker
March 26, 2009, 10:26 PM
That's a fine rifle, capable of sub-MOA performance. It deserves the best glass you can afford to mount-up. You might give us a ballpark budget for scope & rings, we'll give you suggestions 'till you're COMPLETELY tired of reading them! I've got a friend who swears by Mueller scopes. Me? I think a Bushnell 4200 Elite is the best value around. But (I think) the Bushy is a bit higher-priced than the BSA. What does the BSA Sweet cost?

lipadj46
March 26, 2009, 10:26 PM
It may last on your .223 as it is a low recoil round, you will not be pleased with it for long if you want to do any serious hunting or target shooting with it. If you can afford it get this, it is a monarch for $220, best deal around, it will last you for as long as you need it to:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9x40-team-primos-riflescope.aspx

bessemerbob
March 26, 2009, 10:48 PM
Well the budget is around $200. I would like to stay at that or a bit under. The sweet is listed at 134.99 at swfa.... Also I would like to get at least a 10pwr or up

lipadj46
March 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
I think you would be crazy to consider a $135 BSA and not consider the Team Primos at $220 especially since your budget is $200. Like I said it is a Monarch and a serious scope, a scope that will stand against some of the best (4200, Conquest, VX-III, SII etc). The sweet is just some more BSA fodder.

WardenWolf
March 26, 2009, 11:59 PM
BSA = Better Stay Away. All their stuff sucks and has horrible quality control. Sometimes you may get a good one, but most of the time you just wind up with an expensive paperweight. Get yourself a GOOD scope.

MAX100
March 27, 2009, 02:29 AM
Stay way from BSA. The Bushnell 3200 10X40 Tactical is an excellent scope for the money around $200. For $300 you could get a Millett TRS-1 4-16x50 Mildot from SWFA.

Wonder Optics cost around $300 and they are getting good reviews on the Sniper central and Sniper Hide as well as Falcon scopes.

Save up a little more and get a nicer scope that will last.

GC

Clipper
March 27, 2009, 05:56 AM
I have a Sweet .22 and a .243, and my shooting buddy has a .223. All have done a great job, and I plan on getting a 30/06 for my Mosin-Nagant. I also have 3 other BSA scopes that have been trouble-free, and my cousin shoots coyote at 400+ yards with a BSA on his Savage 22-250.

Be careful...The scope snobs who would never buy nor have ever owned one one will sure have plenty to say about them...

redneck2
March 27, 2009, 06:27 AM
There is always a chance of getting a good or bad scope with any brand. The more expensive the scope, the higher the chances of getting a good one. I used to work in a gun shop. The low end Tasco, BSA, Swift would have as many as 30-50% come back. Burris and VX-III, almost never.

A few months ago I gave away (as in free) a cheapie 6x18 that was on a rifle I bought. At higher powers, it was like looking thru the bottom of a glass jar.

Be careful...The scope snobs who would never buy nor have ever owned one one will sure have plenty to say about them...

And guys that only buy and use cheap scopes will never appreciate the quality difference of something good.

Cheap scopes have a tendency to lose zero, don't return to zero when the reticle is moved, aren't fog proof, have the reticle come loose, and grey out at higher powers. Other than that, they are fine.

Typically, the more severe the application, the quicker they fail.

lipadj46
March 27, 2009, 06:58 AM

What is snobbish about trying to talk a person into buying a scope like the Team Primos that is so much better a product for only $90 more?

bessemerbob
March 27, 2009, 08:29 AM
Lipad, the Team Primos looks like a great deal but the only problem is the power....... I would settle for 10 at the lowest but would really like to go even higher, stupid stigmatism......

bessemerbob
March 27, 2009, 08:31 AM
so it looks like 1vote yes and about 7votes no....... Well if we dont get some BSA support soon Ill be scratching that off the list...

Clipper
March 27, 2009, 08:39 AM
And guys that only buy and use cheap scopes will never appreciate the quality difference of something good.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I've had high-end Bushnell, Weaver and mid-grade Leupold, too. For the price, the difference was unimpressive to me, a 200-yard & under hunter. I'd rather spend the extra money on the gun, or on another gun.

soldier147
March 27, 2009, 08:41 AM
my dad handed down a ruger m77 270 with a bushnell sportsview scope to my brother. He got stationed in Korea and asked me to take his rifle, so his soon to be x-wife wouldn't sell it. that scope looks to be at least 20-30 years old. I deer hunted with it this year and with two shots, I dropped two deer where they stood and now they are in the freezer. Most accurate scope I've shot with so far. And one of those shots was on the fly.

superhornet
March 27, 2009, 10:05 AM
Get a Tasco, they are the best.....:)

Redneck with a 40
March 27, 2009, 10:14 AM
Spend the $80 on a Cabela's Pine Ridge scope, I put one on my Marlin 22 magnum and I'm very happy with it. Its just as clear as the $160 Nikon Pro-Staff that is on my Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308.:)

rangerruck
March 27, 2009, 10:45 AM
if it says BSA, then run away!!!! You can make a more stable, more clear scope, using a toilet paper core, and coke bottle bottoms, really.... I am not being rhetorical, i bet you could.
the only thing worse than BSA is NC star.

amd6547
March 27, 2009, 10:48 AM
I put a BSA mil-dot on my K31, and it worked great.

unlearned69
March 27, 2009, 11:00 AM
Take a look at the Simmons Whitetail classic 6.5-20x50. They are on sale at Midway USA for $109 right now. I don't have one, but I have heard a total of 1 negative report comparted to dozens of positive reports on the scope. I'm considering buying a 223 tactical or varmint gun, and if I do this will be the scope I try on it. That said if I had dropped the coin on a savage 12 I might up my scope budget, but the simmons is surely worth a shot.

HGUNHNTR
March 27, 2009, 11:01 AM
:barf::barf::barf::barf: that sums it up for me.

Get a Nikon Prostaff
:)

lipadj46
March 27, 2009, 11:04 AM
Lipad, the Team Primos looks like a great deal but the only problem is the power....... I would settle for 10 at the lowest but would really like to go even higher, stupid stigmatism.....

The problem with the cheap scopes are at high magnification they really can get terrible to look through. Having an eye problem does not help either but don't you wear corrective lenses? I have an astigmatism but my glasses correct for it.

Honestly if you want a cheap scope go for it but don't pay $135 for a BSA. Get something that has a disposable price so if it breaks it's not so terrible. One guy here swears by centerpoints but I don't know myself. Pretty much the Chinese scopes all come from a small handful of factories anyways so they might as well be sold under the same brand name.

Ghost Tracker
March 27, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hey, this is supposed to be The HIGH Road.Be careful...The scope snobs who would never buy nor have ever owned one one will sure have plenty to say about them... Help me undertand. Asking a question or two (re: rifle & budget) makes me a "scope snob"? Yep, it's absolutely true that I haven't ever (nor will ever) buy, own or use a BSA scope. That's only because I'm OLD. I've thrown-away considerable money trying to save a dollar or two. So I've earned the knowledge for which I've paid & now share. If the OP was glassing-up a cheap, inaccurate rifle then...who cares what he buys? But his Savage isn't just a good value, it's a great rifle. Great rifles deserve (at least-good) optics. Nobody is suggesting he go buy a Schmidt & Bender, but then again, Savage Arms isn't Dakota Arms. With all due repect to whatever you choose to buy & shoot -

"the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
quote by Aldo Gucci

bessemerbob
March 27, 2009, 05:20 PM
OK, my 2 factors.....6*18*40 or up, and around the $200 mark..... If not Ill be waiting along time to get something in the 400-500 range...

pat86323
March 27, 2009, 05:33 PM
i will have to respectfully disagree with all of these people. I have a bsa 3-9x40 on my savage 270 which is a backup hunting rifle. While it isnt nearly as nice as the leupold that i have on my 7mag it is a fine scope for the money. I carried that 270 for 5 years over hill and over dale and the scope held zero and did its job. Ive had bushnells and tascos and i would gladly trade either of those brands for a bsa. The only other suggestion that i might make is if i remember correctly wal mart had a nikon line that wasnt too terribly pricey and nikon makes some good optics. So what im saying is if you need a scope now get the bsa if you think it will fit your needs. If you can afford to wait it out for a while step into a leupold.....you wont regret it.

jon_in_wv
April 21, 2009, 09:13 PM

Its funny how several guys have jumped on this statement. He didn't mention a name guys. Are you self-identifying yourselves as scope snobs????

I also think it was a fair statement. Anytime you bring up BSA, Simmons, Tasco, KelTec, Centerpoint, or anything else on the lower end of the price point there are always a bunch of keyboard professors who show up who never had one but they know everything about them. THE HIGH ROAD way of doing it is to give your opinion, hopefully an informed one, and leave the the personal issues alone. (and don't be so sensitive.)

That being said, I have no real experience with the BSAs but a friend of mine, who was a Marine Sniper, surprised me the other day when I asked him to recommend a scope for me and he recommended the BSA sweet scopes. HUH?!?!? I ended up buying a Millett TRS-1. I think you do get what you pay for and a 150 dollar BSA didn't seem like as good of a deal as a 300 dollar Millet. I did buy a Centerpoint Adventure Class for my Romanian M69 and it seems decent enough for that job. I wouldn't have paid 150 for it though.

unlearned69
April 21, 2009, 09:53 PM
While I don't have one any longer, I've used 4 BSA's. A buddy had a BSA Platinum 8-32x44 on a 10/22 that he couldn't get to zero. I'm trying to talk him out of it to send it in to get it fixed. He took it off and put a Sweet 22 on it that works great. I also had a Sweet 22 on a Ruger that worked well. He and I both have 17's with Sweet 17's. Both have excellent accuracy. That said, the optics are slightly yellow in mine with thick crosshairs. The clicks are not even or repeatable on mine, but once set it was fine. The bullet drop compensation worked well for both of us. I chose to take it off and replace it with a Leupold Rifleman. While not the best optic in it's price range, if you get a good one it will work well. You may have to send it back right out of the box, or you may have to a year down the line. They have a lifetime warranty. You may need it, but of course you may need the warranty for a Leupold too.

JWarren
April 21, 2009, 09:56 PM
Hey, this is supposed to be The HIGH Road.

FACT:

There is NOTHING "High Road" about holding back your opinion of a piece of EQUIPMENT.

If a person gets offended over criticism of a piece of freakin' equipment, they'd be better off trying to figure out why they have invested so much of their self-worth in an ITEM.

If you think not giving your honest assessment of a piece of equipment is "High Road," I'd rather talk to a few "Low Roaders" that will potentially save me several hundred in mistakes.

Among the cheaper brands, I've OWNED:

BSA
Tasco
Simmons
Leapers
BEC

I was the Poster Boy for trying to buy cheap.

If I were talking about owners of cheaper optics, I'd be talking about ME. I can't see how that would make it not "High Road."

I cring when I see someone defend a piece of EQUIPMENT by evoking "The High Road."

By the way... I finally realized that I could have bought another Leupold Mark IV with the money I literally threw in the trashcan in the form of excessively cheap scopes...

-- John

deerhunter61
April 21, 2009, 09:57 PM
BSA...any scopes starting with those letters....BAD!

missouriman
September 21, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have a bsa sweet 223 and i love it its the 6x one , I can get shot holes touching with it , i use it for coyote hunting , the only thing bad about it is the turret cap or what ever its called , I just took it off and its great. I have 2 more on their way

Uncle Mike
September 21, 2009, 09:23 PM
but then again, Savage Arms isn't Dakota Arms.

Thank you God!!!

hehehehe...as for the BSA line of fine optics....there is cheap, and then there is cheap!
BSA aint going to win any Bavarian optic competition but if the man wants a cheap scope, and the BSA has all the bells and whistles he needs for the money he is willing to spend, well...

Read carefully the following, it is the best advice one could give....

I finally realized that I could have bought another Leupold Mark IV with the money I literally threw in the trashcan in the form of excessively cheap scopes...

Thank you JWARREN.

P.B.Walsh
September 21, 2009, 09:29 PM
I have a BSA 4-16 on my Rem. 700 and it's *ok*, not great, but for $100 it is good. Now I'm am buying a Falcon Menace or another similar scope. :)

Buy quality, buy once, buy not-so-good quality, buy twice. :)

jimmyraythomason
September 21, 2009, 09:46 PM
Since I have sworn off of scope threads,this will be my only post. "BSA = Better Stay Away. All their stuff sucks" I guess that will be a lot of "stuff" since the company has been making "stuff" since 1861 and built the Lewis gun of WW1 fame. Generalizations usually are not wise.

Txhillbilly
September 21, 2009, 10:24 PM
I have two BSA-Sweet 22 scopes,a 6x18x40AO on a Ruger 10/22T and a 3x9x40AO on a Savage 93 22wmr. I also have a Sweet 223-6x18x40AO scope on one of my RRA AR15's with a 20" Bull barrel. I have several Nikon Monarch,Leupold,Pentax,and Mueller scopes on other rifles.

Now I will say the BSA's are a cheaper grade scope than the others,but I have never had any problems with them and can shoot just as small groups with them as I can with a $500+ dollar scope.

I personally like BSA scopes,as well as the other mfg's listed above. If you compare several different brands with the same magnification you will find some cheaper scopes will hang right in with the higher priced scopes,with the only difference being at the highest magnifications because the quality of the glass used in each scope.

It's funny that I had a $700 Leupold on my Savage 110FLP and then put a $220 Mueller on it and like/shoot it better now with a cheaper/lower quality scope.

Just buy the best scope you can afford,and enjoy shooting your gun!

rangerruck
September 22, 2009, 12:26 AM
" If it says BSA, then run away!" ... me

Runningman
September 22, 2009, 12:54 AM
You guys are going to have a real hard time convincing me BSA makes a good scope. I bought two new BSA scopes in one day for 22s. Let me say this, BSA cured me from ever buying a Chinese made scope again. Adjustments were beyond terrible and so were the groups on both scops. Replaced them both with made in Japan scopes 50 yard groups magically shrank to less than 1/2 of what I was getting with the BSA scopes.

bpl
September 22, 2009, 03:52 AM
I have a BSA Sweet 22 on a 22mag, and its not that great of a scope. I'll be replacing it eventually. I'd go with a different scope if I were to do it over again, but I'd have to spend more money. Maybe I can sell it to some sucker on gunbroker or something!

cmanhome
September 22, 2009, 08:52 AM
BSA = Better Stay Away. All their stuff sucks and has horrible quality control. Sometimes you may get a good one, but most of the time you just wind up with an expensive paperweight. Get yourself a GOOD scope.
And just how many of these terrible BSA scopes have you actually bought, owned and used, before you start judging them so badly.
cmanhome

rocpyro
September 22, 2009, 09:04 AM
Another vote for the Nikon Team Primos as the BEST scope for the money. There are not better deals elsewhere. It is a rebadged monarch(closeout since they went to 10 power scopes) and since it was popular and they already had the manufacturing set up, kept making it, calling it the team primos. SWFA has the best price on them, that's where I got mine. I have a sweet 17 BSA as well, and there is no comparison.

longdayjake
September 22, 2009, 09:25 AM
For those of you who own BSA scopes and like them, good for you. I wish that I could go back to cheap scopes on all my guns. I am the type of person that thinks like this: "If I am going to spend $150 on something I want it to be amazing. If it isn't amazing I just wasted a whole $150. If I spend $150 more I can get something much nicer." MY brain then says, $150 is too much to spend on something that is not very good. For that reason I started with a VXII after I took off the bushnell piece of junk of that came with my rifle. I have since gone up to a vxIII. I will go higher someday. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a serious varmint hunting fool. I shoot targets that are the size of a soft ball at 200-300 yards away. Sometimes I take a newcomer along to show them how fun it is. Many times they bring their deer gun topped with a "cheap" BSA or bushnell. The fun begins for me as I can spot and shoot 10 times more rockchucks in the time it takes for them to spot one. After they become amazed at how awesome a shooter I am, I trade them rifles. The very SECOND that they start looking through my scope the world suddenly becomes so much clearer!!!!! I try to look through their scope but just end up getting a headache. They are WAY too dark at those distances to see small targets. There really is a night and day difference between cheap scopes and expensive ones and I don't even buy the most expensive. That said, these same guys with those same scopes get a deer most every deer season so obviously they work for that application. For me, cheaper scopes are worthless because I can't see what I like to hunt through them. Its a simple fact.

JonB
September 22, 2009, 09:29 AM
Only BSA I have is the Sweet 22 on my Marlin 60. Hold zero and I have no complaints so far. It's a 3-9x and for small critters I found 4.5x or so to be perfect.

Walkalong
September 22, 2009, 10:29 AM
The fun begins for me as I can spot and shoot 10 times more rockchucks in the time it takes for them to spot one. After they become amazed at how awesome a shooter I am, I trade them rifles. The very SECOND that they start looking through my scope the world suddenly becomes so much clearer!!!!!
Yep, under tough conditions is where quailty/price shine. I am a cheap b******, but I won't buy a cheap scope. That inclcudes BSA, Tasco, Leapers, etc.

I have a couple of Tasco scopes, and they work fine for non demanding conditions. One is on a .22. I bought it used for $2 over 20 years ago. The other came on a 30-30, and it will be replaced soon, before I send my son hunting with it this year.

It is hard to spend the bucks on a scope, but it is worth every penny to buy at the bottom layer of good quality vs the cheap stuff.

Where that is, is another debate.

I just bought a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 X 40 to go on a .22 Hornet. It's nice, but can not compare to my better scopes, and I kind of wish I had saved and spent more money for a better one. Once you get used to good glass, it is hard to go backwards.

jordan1948
September 22, 2009, 10:59 AM
I put a sweet .223 on my Mini-14 but haven't really been able to try it out yet. btw I got mine at midawayusa.com for like $40 when they were on sale.

Bwana John
September 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
Ive got a 4-12X40 AO BSA scope on my 77/22 stainless target model. I got it for about $100.

It does hold its zero, and the adjustments are repeatable.

BUT the optics are crap:barf:

dubbleA
September 22, 2009, 01:37 PM
I have a 6-18X BSA mounted on a 17HMR NEF Sportster, and it's just awesome. Target turrets, adjustable objective and clear optics make this $120 scope a bargin. I havent had any problems with making long shots on crows.

dagger dog
September 22, 2009, 04:07 PM
The Savage you bought will definitley out shoot most BSA scopes , you buy what you can afford at the time. Stay away from the 32 and 24 power variables in the BSA, the exit pupil is very small and cranked up to that power they get very dark.

Simmons Pro Hunter in 4X12X42 with side focus parralax < $175. is a bit clearer, and if you can save the extra 115$ you can upgrade to a Burris 4.5X14X42 AO and it comes with a spotter or binocular, check out Natchez they have both.

Bushnell has several scopes in the 200$ range that are as good as any BSA.

Oohrah
September 23, 2009, 04:39 AM
Very few scopes today except for the high end, that are not China/Japan.
Even Weaver and Redfield before they went out were Japan. I own several BSAs including a pistol varible. No complaints, and they pretty much do what I need to have done. Do they ever break? Sure they do, but thus far I haven't had to return one. Optics are as clear as the scopes of yesterday, and I own quite a few of those Weaver, Redfield, Bushnell, and a few others.
I still love those old steel Weavers!!!! The last four years of Turkey Shoots with different caliber rifles 17 Hornet, 6mm Rem. and a couple of years with .223 Rem, sub minute 10 shot groups, using BSA either 8x32 or 6x24 scopes
took first place. Are there better? Sure there are, but these produce as good as I can hold. Adjustments are true to each 1/8 min. click. Your Sniper friend advise I feel was right on. It was my job for awhile in the early 60s. Scopes that were durable were few, no matter how careful they were treated. Lyman, and some of the other high end of the day scopes were good, but sealing sucked and most would fog internally. Redfields seemed to be the best, or maybe just got lucky with a good one. I had one failure with a Lyman with a post cross hair reticle. The crosshair broke. Was the Lyman a good scope? You bet, I thought perhaps the clearer optic then most.
I think you will like that BSA, and you will have some bucks for more ammo!:D:D:D

04JRB
September 23, 2009, 09:32 AM
I have a 12fv in .223 too. I currently have a Bushnell Banner Dusk til Dawn 6-24x on it. I have been happy with it for range duty (only had a chance to use it at about 200 yds maximum so far). It was around $125 from midway.

Im going to south dakota for prarie dog shootin in June, I may spend a bit and get into the next step up ($300-$600, no specific brand) for this trip. If Im going to be stretching out to the max distance of the rifle, I dont want to be let down by my optics.

SHvar
September 23, 2009, 11:40 AM
A good friend has a BSA he bought because he decided if it was junk he didnt waste much money, and can easily replace it, but if its good he gained on the deal.
The scope is VERY accurate, its clear, in fact clearer than many more expensive scopes Ive seen when set on the higher powers.
The only draw back to it is that under certain lighting it casts a bit of a red shadow from its own light up mildot reticle. Its dead accurate, tough built, holds zero perfect, and has an upper end of 24 power thats crystal clear.
My opinions are from someone who has experienced a few of their scopes, none have been blurry, all have been accurate, all have been tougher than many upper price scopes.
My personal preference has been Bushnell, I always go back to them at some time on everything I put scopes on, but thats just me.
Scopes are like anything else, there are cheaper models, and much more expensive models, decently priced models. When you find a good scope from any manufacturer the price and name are sometimes the only differences.
Ask yourself this, "do I have a need for a $600-$2000 scope for what im doing?" Also when the guy next to you at the range is shooting the same rifle and hes got a $25 walmart scope and hes grouping tighter, shooting more accurately, consistantly, and hes using the cheapest plinking ammo, you cant blame any of those things for why hes doing better.
I dont prefer BSAs, but I know that they can do a great job if you want one, thats up to you.

mountainpharm
October 2, 2009, 01:27 PM
My advice as one who got suckered into buying a BSA scope: Avoid BSA at any cost. I bought one in January to put on my .223. While it was a clear scope, it broke after less than 200 rounds through it. I sent it back to BSA for warranty service. The latest estimate has it back in my hands sometime in December, though the timeline lengthens with each email to BSA Customer Service. For the record, it was sent to them in August. I explained that requiring 4-5 months to service a warranty is considered by most to be excessive (industry standard is about 12 days) and that I found their terms to be unacceptable. I asked them to allow my dealer to replace the scope with an identical model and BSA could replenish his inventory. They said no. I asked them to issue a credit to my dealer. They said no. I asked them to send me a check. They said no. I have since filed a complaint with the BBB and they were unable to get BSA to agree to do anything other than repair the scope as previously described. I have since bought a quality replacement and have no idea what to do with that POS when they finally send it back to me.

BSA scopes may function for a period of time, but a little searching on this forum or others will show their dismally high failure rate. When the day comes where you need to send a BSA scope back for service (and that day WILL come), you will not have a more frustrating experience.

Bottom line: I tried to save money by getting a cheaper BSA scope and ended up spending much more than I otherwise would have if I had just gotten the quality optics to begin with. You will find this theme repeated on here as well. I've now joined the chorus of others who say buy quality glass the first time -- do not cut corners. You sure as hell won't save any money, especially if you buy a BSA. Learn from my experience.

HGUNHNTR
October 2, 2009, 01:48 PM
Simply put a better scope WILL give you better repeatable accuracy under a broader range of shooting conditions.

If you only shoot 50 yards on sunny days, with rifles of low recoil, then yes, the BSA will perform close to as good as a scope of better quality.

Prepare yourself for disappointment under other conditions, and for the additional financial burden of having to replace a subpar scope.

P.B.Walsh
October 2, 2009, 01:54 PM
BSA scopes are terrible in the cold weather, they fog up SO bad, the glass quality is twerrible at higher magnifications, and now I need to buy a different scope, the BSa that I have might be good enought for about $100, but I belive a Nikon Prostaff would be a much better bang for your buck. :banghead:

HGUNHNTR
October 2, 2009, 02:03 PM
External fog is not the fault of the scope, internal fogging however is. To eliminate fog on the outside of the lens you can use the anti-fog stuff or simply leave your cased rifle outside so the glass is the same temp as the air. Also avoid breathing on the lens.

I definitely agree on the Prostaff

presidents_topgun
October 2, 2009, 06:24 PM
Looking at the BSA 223 Sweet for my range gun. Anybody have one? What have people been saying about these newer guys on the market?

Thanks
I bought a brand spanking new BSA scope and the coating was coming off the housing. I contacted a factory rep and I was instructed to send it in for a replacement along with $20.00 to ship it back. Can't be too much of a scope if the company wants you to pay twice for shipping for a defective product and they're not willing to stand behind their product at their expense. I didn't send it back. It sits on a 50 cal TC muzzle loader and only sees use during muzzle loading season.

RonE
October 3, 2009, 01:46 AM
I bought a rifle with a BSA Sweet 17 scope and it was "poor" at it's best. I bought a BSA scope for a project rifle and it was worse than the Sweet 17 scope. I would stay away from BSA unless your BSA is a rifle or motorcycle.

BritUSMC0321
January 19, 2010, 09:41 PM
Re; BSA performance...

Certainly money can buy a better scope. I own 2 BSA scopes & yes they are they cheapest scopes in my inventory (except for an El Paso Weaver I got for 30 bucks that is still a workhorse hunting scope-sitting on a 25-06).

This is my experience...
I acquired a BSA 6x24 Contender at dealer cost when they first came on the market. A friend who owned a gun store offered me his dealer sample at cost in return for field testing it for him before he decided if he should place an order for more.
I put it on a .223. The glass is "typical" for the price range & eye relief is quite critical. 18x is the practical zoom limit (but never used). That said it is very accurate & adjusts precisely (never has to settle after adjustments). I have since used it on a .17 hmr & a .308. It has been accurate & consistent on all 3 rifles. It is now back on the .223 & achieves 1/4" groups repeatedly-sometimes better than .25". "I would only consider replacing it if it breaks".
The other scope is a Sweet 17 (2x7). It has "decent" optics (on par with the Weaver). adjusts as good as most Prostaff/Buckmaster Nikons & holds its zero. I DO NOT use it on my .17 because the reticle is too thick for precision accuracy in most practical .17 hmr applications. It is also somewhat top heavy/bulky on a .17. Instead I use a Sightron 3x9 rimfire (The rifle is a CZ452 Varmint).
As a comparison my other 2 centrefire .224 rifles are scoped as follows...
.22 Hornet = 4x Unertl Hawk
22-250 = 3x9 Leupold VXII

In summary, I consider both BSA scopes are servicable, better than many competitors, excellent value for the price range & I enjoy shooting with them (I use the sweet 17 on a Benjamin Sheriden). All of my friends who have used the contender (1 ex-101st sniper, 1 ex-Air force DM & a current DS small arms instructor) have been impressed with it's accuracy & repeatable adjustment.
However, I do think that I was possibly very lucky with both scopes & would probably not risk spending money on another BSA due to other peoples experiences.

I hope that this info has been helpful.

Maverick223
January 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
Everything is relative...except for post dates...March '09.

:)

TexasPatriot.308
January 20, 2010, 02:39 AM
once again, you get what you pay for. and I aint paying for them.:)

TasteLikeChicken
January 20, 2010, 03:01 AM
I have owned BSA scopes. Their current retail price is in the 200-250 range. All were mounted on a 22LR silhouette rifle...no recoil.

First one was junked within the first firing session. I exchanged it with the retailer for another identical scope. Naturally...this cost me shipping and handling.
Well......that one would not hold zero and the reticle fell out in 100 shots. Not impressed.

Sent that one back to the factory just recently.....cost me about 20 dollars for shipping/return shipping. So..add that to the price of the scope.
I'll see how "customer service" does. If it is replaced...rather than repaired...I'll be looking for some rube who likes BSA.

In comparison...the B&L 3500 I mounted on the exact same rifle has performed flawlessly for about 30,000 rounds of ammo.

If you were a friend....I'd tell you if it says BSA...run away. But if you're dead set on one....I might just have a new in the box at a great deal.

jon_in_wv
January 21, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have a good friend who was a Marine Corps Sniper (and ACTUAL one, not one of those guys that CLAIMS to be one) and I asked him what scope he would recommend for my rifle. He recommended a BSA Sweet Scope. I didn't buy one but he said he really liked the BSA Sweet scopes. If I was to scope a 22lr, I would get one but not for my bigger rifles. I went with a Millett TRS-1 and I'm very happy with it.

sprocket3
January 21, 2010, 06:29 PM
"BSA = Better Stay Away. All their stuff sucks and has horrible quality control. Sometimes you may get a good one, but most of the time you just wind up with an expensive paperweight. Get yourself a GOOD scope."

I thought it stood for Buy **** Again.

If you enjoyed reading about "BSA Sweet scopes good or bad" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!