9mm magazine spring question

PDA

gary vale
March 26, 2009, 09:12 PM
I have owned a S&W 9mm mod 659 since the mid 80's
Have always kept the magazine (10 rds) empty, untill I go to the range.

Will the magazine spring become weak, if I choose to keep it filled?
How long will it take for this to happen?

I have always kept a revolver for home defence.

Thanks....

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm magazine spring question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PT1911
March 26, 2009, 09:16 PM
research and popular opinion seems to support the idea that a fully loaded mag will NOT weaken the spring over time... I would say it depends on the mag as I have had mags (granted high capacity .22 mags) weaken as a result of storing loaded that took roughly 6 months loaded with 35 of a possible 50 rounds.. but the popular consensus is no.. it wont weaken the spring.

ZombiesAhead
March 27, 2009, 01:10 AM
PT1911 is correct.

BTW - PT1911 - Some of those 25-50+ round capacity .22lr magazines use rubber bands instead of springs which probably have totally different physical properties.

SimpleIsGood229
March 27, 2009, 01:18 AM
I keep most all of my detachable rifle and pistol mags loaded to full capacity, all with zero problems. It's loading and unloading that cause springs to wear.

Mad Magyar
March 27, 2009, 08:24 AM
For long-term storage, which are very few pistols, I load 1 less despite "popular consensus". :)

Confederate
March 27, 2009, 08:41 PM
I have a friend who had his 1911 loaded for several years. He took it to the range and it when bang!...JAM. Don't know whether it was because it was the spring or because it was just a fluke. He loaded it back up again and it shot fine. Well, at least until it jammed again. It was, after all, a 1911!

But it didn't jam again at that session.

PT1911
March 27, 2009, 09:37 PM
the high capacitymags that have given me issues do not use rubber bands.(never used those) they, in fact, used springs... may have been cheap springs, but still went against the popular beliefs.... I dunno...

The Lone Haranguer
March 28, 2009, 03:59 PM
BTW - PT1911 - Some of those 25-50+ round capacity .22lr magazines use rubber bands instead of springs which probably have totally different physical properties.
Rubber bands? Seriously?

wrs840
March 28, 2009, 04:15 PM
Uhh... I'm no expert, but... The FN BHP that I have owned since I bought it new in about 1986 sat for years with 11 rounds loaded in the two 13 round factory mags that came with it. When BHO started seeming a probability last October, I got off my ass and got my CHP and took the BHP with me for the range portion of the training.

Both mags refused to feed at round #10, apparently because both mag springs had the "push" relaxed right out of them.

My trainer told me to pull bottom-plate, stretch the spring two or three inches past it's current static-state and put them back together and reload.

Viola. Back to full function. Whoo hoo! Thank goodness for guidance from folks that know what they're doing!

Les

Ken Rainey
March 28, 2009, 04:50 PM
Well, wrs840, not exactly....stretching a spring past it's elastic state will only last a little while and it actually causes the spring to loose it's stored energy...so, the next time you use them they'll likely fail again...time to buy some new mag springs. Actually, I'm surprised the mags failed you unless they were dirty inside, the spring "should" have been ok unless it was used a lot in it's past before sitting loaded for all those years...:uhoh:

As far as leaving mags loaded for long periods of time, if the spring is of good quality, it will be ok, if it isn't it won't....like Mad Magyar, I say down load by one or two just to be on the safe side and make sure your mags are clean on the inside...grunge on the inside of a mag can cause feeding problems..:scrutiny:

For my autoloading pistols I always have two sets of mags, one set for carry and one set for the range. I make sure the pistol will function with my chosen carry load in the carry mags then clean and load them (less one or two rds) and leave them alone til I either rotate that ammo out by shooting it from those mags or empty the mags manually and clean and reload them. The range mags just get used and wiped off and cleaned out as necessary to maintain proper function and round counts are kept for each mag along with the pistol for routine maintenance purposes. By using the range mags this way, it lets you know just what you can expect from your carry mags.....works for me ... ;)

wrs840
March 28, 2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks Ken,

I did buy two replacement mags already, and the factory originals haven't failed again... yet... But I did wonder if the spring-stretching-thing would last long-term. I think I'll find new springs for them now. Any suggestions on a good source?

Regards,
Les

Ken Rainey
March 28, 2009, 05:55 PM
Wolff springs are excellent and are offered in extra power of either 5 or 10 % .. I'd get the 5%...they also have them available in a 3 pack ... Brownells has them for $17.29 or I think you can order direct from Wolff - whichever is most cost efficient. I think ISMI also offers a chrome silicon type replacement spring that suppose to be good but I've never looked them up....

rcmodel
March 28, 2009, 06:06 PM
Less see?

I've got M-16 mags loaded since I "aquired" them in 1970 when I got out of the service.
They still work just fine every time I shoot up the old ammo and load with fresh stuff.

I have 1911 mags that I bought at an estate sale that still had WWI 1917 dated ammo in them. And they still work fine.

I have bought two 1930's era Colt Woodsman from estates with copper case, pre-WWII ammo in them, and they still work.

You will wear out your mag springs from loading & unloading them much sooner then leaving them loaded.

Modern hi-cap mags like the Glock gave up spring life for an additional round or two.
The springs in them are over-compressed when fully loaded.
Down-load a couple of rounds and they will last indefinitely too.

Here's more:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm magazine spring question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!