Help for Remington 700 Stock Upgrade

PDA

Dobe66
March 26, 2009, 09:17 PM
Have a Remington 700 VLS and looking to upgrade the stock for better target accuracy. Not looking to be bench rest competitive, just to get better accuracy. Any advice/experience would be most welcome.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help for Remington 700 Stock Upgrade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wirtbowhunter
March 26, 2009, 09:26 PM
I have a h s precision stock that I like pretty well. I love the looks of the laminate stocks though.

A-FIXER
March 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
knoxx stocks put out a axiom but and blackhawk lable but same style I have on on my short action 308 and all I can say is wow look at LA Police web site and seem to be the lowest cost at 450 other at 598.00
offers a free floating barrel and recoil reducer rear stock... you will likke....

jmr40
March 26, 2009, 09:52 PM
Unless you just want something else the stock you have on your gun has the potential to be as accurate as anything else. Having it professionally bedded may help a little.

Horsemany
March 26, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have to agree with jmr40 on this one. There are many ways to increase accuracy in 700's but a heavy laminated stock isn't hurting you unless it's fit poorly. Pillar bed it and float the barrel for starters and I don't think any other stock would increase accuracy.

I'd try replacing the trigger first thing if you haven't yet.

Dobe66
March 26, 2009, 10:10 PM
Once more demonstrating my ignorance. How does one go about pillar bedding a stock?

Baba Louie
March 26, 2009, 10:13 PM
How does one go about pillar bedding a stock?
http://www.masterclassstocks.com/pillarbedding.html

LTR shooter
March 26, 2009, 10:51 PM
My VLS shot extremely well after free floating the barrel. Along with a proper pillar bedding job that should allow the rifle to shoot to its full potential with the stock barrel. I never did have a bedding job perfomed on mine but upgraded the trigger.

a-sheepdog
March 27, 2009, 01:02 AM
If your has the HS Precision stock, you should be in good shape. Even the laminate could be bedded and work very well.

Dobe66
March 27, 2009, 02:01 AM
Is a pillar bed something that can be done by the average person? If so, where would you look to find out how and/or purchase the appropriate components?

dakotasin
March 27, 2009, 07:27 AM
these guys have it right - the laminated stock isn't holding you back at all. it is a very stable stock.

start by floating the barrel, then glass bed the stock and pillars. the pillars and action bedding are d-i-y projects.

bedding compound can be picked up in many gun shops or brownells. pillars can be picked up from any hardware store and file-to-fit yourself (get aluminum tubes for ease of filing), or for the more creative, pillars can be 'poured' from your bedding compound.

nicholst55
March 27, 2009, 08:04 AM
Is a pillar bed something that can be done by the average person? If so, where would you look to find out how and/or purchase the appropriate components?

You betcha! If you can glass bed a rifle, you can pillar bed one. The below link shows an excellent method of pillar-bedding. You may find other articles if you Google it.

Materials are available from Brownells and Midway, and doubtless others.

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

Dobe66
March 28, 2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the insights. Will try the pillar bedding on an older 250-3000. Since the pull is too short for me on the 700, I think I'll be looking for a nicely bedded relacement stock.

aubie515
March 28, 2009, 08:08 PM
I really dig my AICS 1.5 stage.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/aubie515/ForSale09001.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Help for Remington 700 Stock Upgrade" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!