Assistance in Identification


March 26, 2009, 09:32 PM
Not sure what it's for. It is plastic with a (very heavy) spring loaded metal clylinder. When it's "cocked" (by pushing the cylinder back into the barrel), you can unscrew what appears to be a firing pin in the back. There is also a small slot cut out on the right side as well. Markings are "HS" on the grips and "Made in West Germany" on the left side above the trigger. At first I thought it might be for some sort of injection or other darting function (i.e. for livestock usage) but there are rudimentary sights which I wouldn't think you'd need for something you were going to just hold right up to an animal. Someone else suggested it's a "gas pistol" to shoot little tear gas pellets -?

Any help in identification and valuation appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Assistance in Identification" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
March 26, 2009, 09:35 PM
what is the diameter of the bore? my grandfather had a similar .177 cal pellet gun, not quite the same, but could be a pellet gun.

what is the small hole on the right side of it?

Duke of Doubt
March 26, 2009, 09:38 PM
I think the pellet gun hypothesis will turn out to be correct. I was thinking maybe a flaregun converted into a nailgun or injector, but the pellet gun seems more reasonable. Have you tried to load it with 4mm or .177 pellets? How hard does that cylinder fly out of the barrel, and what holds it in?

March 26, 2009, 09:42 PM
Not sure about the size of the bore...the thing is, I don't see any way this could have been loaded with a projectile other than just dropping it down the bore.

Duke, no idea what's holding the cylinder in. It comes out "really hard". I sort of doubt it's a modified piece but I suppose that's possible. That is an interesting idea about being a flare gun, though. The piece that unscrews in the rear does look like a firing pin. Only thing is I'd think there'd be some signs of usage if it was made for flares. But since I don't know what it is I won't rule out anything.

March 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
what is that hole in the right side of the frame? is that possibly a hole to insert a pellet when the metal cylinder isn't pushed in?

March 26, 2009, 09:54 PM
I don't know but I doubt it. The 'firing pin' can be unscrewed when the barrel is cocked and then you can see down the bore. But the bore is solid, there doesn't seem to be any where something would be fed into from the side.

Ron James
March 26, 2009, 10:59 PM
Well, HS is Herbert Schmidt. I wonder if it could be a spring /compression .177 cal air gun , Model 9.

March 27, 2009, 07:36 AM
It is a .177 Air-Pistol. Made by Herbert Schmid, Germany.
The room between the barrel and the outer "receiver" is the compressing-room of the gun. Low power, smooth bore, used by kids in the 60ties- 70tis in Germany. The long " Firing Pin" is only a screw long enough to push the projektile down the barrel to clear the little holes in the back of the barrel so the air can stream into the barrel.
Ask google for a similar construktion : diana mod.2


edit: Unscrew the nut at the front end of the barrel and the whole barrel and spring will come out at the back.
Spring tension is not very strong but be carefull not to hurt yourself.....
If i remember correctly the manual said : please aply a drop of oil from time to time trougt the hole
on the right side of the gun.

Ron James
March 27, 2009, 09:54 AM
:) Ha, Ha, See , told you so.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Assistance in Identification" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!