Hi Power

PDA

gafirefighter
March 26, 2009, 10:55 PM
So, now I have the 92FS, and I want to further expand my collection of 9mm firearms. It seems to me that the next logical step would be a Hi Power. I hear many consider it to be the ultimate 9mm, and after firing one for the first time recently I can see why.

I see from the FN site that they are no longer importing these into the U.S. That does not seem like a big issue though. It appears that they are fairly abundant and the prices I have seen on some are not all that bad.

The question I have is what would you all consider a fair price on a recently made, blued Hi Power that is in new or like new condition. I know that opinions will vary, but I just wanted to make sure that I had a good strarting point.

Also, if you all want to give me the upside and downside of the firearm I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Adam

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ByAnyMeans
March 26, 2009, 11:04 PM
It depends if you want an original or not. I am new to handguns and also wanted to include a hi-power to the collection. I was not concerned if it was an original I just wanted one that was built to spec and had interchangeable parts. I got a used but less than a hundred rounds down the tube for $300. There not hard to find but the prices can range from there up to as much as you want to spend on a safe queen. It is an Argentinian Hi-Power Classic. It has Hogue grips with the finger grooves and it is one sweet shooter. I recommend you look at the clones built to spec if your not concerned with having an original.

rbernie
March 26, 2009, 11:13 PM
FEGs (Hungarian) and FM (Argentinian) HiPower clones go for $300-$450.

A FN HiPower can sometimes be found for $450.

Browning HiPowers seem to settle in at $550-$600, with various variants commanding higher prices as collectables.

If you want a decent Browning-rollmarked HiPower, bring six bills.

New-in-box units can still be found, but they command $850+.

gafirefighter
March 26, 2009, 11:42 PM
Whatever I buy will either be Browning or FN. I am not opposed to spending $600 or maybe a little more. I know that the quality of the FN will be on par with the Browning. FN makes great guns, and always has. I used a 249 and 240B with their name on it for a while.

I guess the difference between the companies does not matter to me. I just want it to work every time the trigger is pulled.

Adam

maksim
March 26, 2009, 11:49 PM
I have had a hard time finding a hi power, and any others to order are close to if not over 1g.

dogtown tom
March 27, 2009, 12:15 AM
gafirefighter:...I see from the FN site that they are no longer importing these into the U.S. ...

Browning is the U.S. importer for FN (Fabrique Nationale) and just brought in a number of Hi Powers.

gafirefighter: Whatever I buy will either be Browning or FN. I am not opposed to spending $600 or maybe a little more. I know that the quality of the FN will be on par with the Browning. FN makes great guns, and always has. I used a 249 and 240B with their name on it for a while.

I guess the difference between the companies does not matter to me. I just want it to work every time the trigger is pulled.

If the Hi Power is a Browning, it was made by FN. Browning Arms doesn't make guns and never has, they are importers. Browning has been the authorized importer of FN firearms for many years. All Browning Hi powers are FN's, not all FN Hi Powers are Browning's.

Some FN Hi Powers were imported by others- such as FNUSA, Cassi, and Howa.

earlthegoat2
March 27, 2009, 12:22 AM
I have not seen a Browning Hi Power in any guise be it vintage, MK3, Nazi, 9mm, 40cal, new, crusty, that was not less than 800. These rusty ones I found are not worth that much. Around here HiPowers command an outrageous premium.

speedsix
March 27, 2009, 02:29 AM
I have owned more 9mm pistols than any other caliber. I have had three BHPs. To tell the truth, I think they are overrated.

I lusted after my first one so I bought it. I was a little dissapointed. I ended up selling it. I regreted it so I got another one (a Agrentine Detective) it was a POS so I dumped it. I missed not having one so I got a FEG BHP clone just to have the platform. Now that I have it, I am like why?

The time has passed on this design. There is a reason nobody is carrying them anymore. Nobody wants them because there are much better guns out there.

You have a Beretta which is one of the best 9mms ever made. I think the Glock 17 is pretty good as well. Before you down the BHP road, get a Glock.

gafirefighter
March 27, 2009, 04:03 AM
Thank you for the information so far on the BHP.

I too own more 9mm firearms than any other gun. I already have the G17 and will be getting another G19 fairly soon (should have never sold the last one). Basically, I am not looking to get one as a cary gun. I may cary it around the gun shop I work in a little, but it is really just something that I feel I need in the collection.

I had a bad habbit of buying firearms and selling them as soon as I find something that I wanted more. I have done way too much of that is the last few years and it has resulted in much lost money, but also quite a few guns that I wish that I had kept. I have always used it the buying and selling as a way to test them out and see what I really care for. Now I have a new plan. The plan has been to put some serious though into my purchases. I now only want to buy guns that I will be keeping long term. I have told myself that I will not be selling any of my firearms any more just because the future is so uncertain.

A little long winded, but it lets you know where I am at. The BHP is just something I feel needs to be in the collection. I do not buy safe queens, but this might be the one that gets used the least.

Adam

BikerRN
March 27, 2009, 06:20 AM
My off duty EDC is a .40 S&W High Power.

I used to carry a 1911, until I spent some time shooting a High Power. It addresses all, and there are a few, weak points of the 1911. I have no problems with the design of the gun and in fact often marvel of what a great weapon, even today, it really is.

Some may think the High Power is outdated or "old school" but to me, it ain't broke, so I ain't fixing it.

BikerRN

Coltman 77
March 27, 2009, 08:11 AM
"Some may think the High Power is outdated or "old school" but to me, it ain't broke, so I ain't fixing it."

Amen brother.

I love my Hi Powers. Old school can be a good thing.;)

dogtown tom
March 27, 2009, 08:40 AM
earlthegoat2: I have not seen a Browning Hi Power in any guise be it vintage, MK3, Nazi, 9mm, 40cal, new, crusty, that was not less than 800. These rusty ones I found are not worth that much. Around here HiPowers command an outrageous premium

Please. One only has to look at GunBroker or on this forum to find beautiful Hi Powers, MOST of which are less than $700. A quick search on GunBroker pulled up these results:

$675 for a somewhat scarce FN imported by Howa.
$624 for a nice postwar FN
$649 for a MkIII FN
$645 for a seldom seen FN Competition Model

Sure there are shops with $800 Hi Powers, but to say you can't find one for less than that means you aren't looking hard enough.

About two months ago I bought a 99% MKIII for waaaay less than $800 on this very forum- The seller said it had four mags, actually included SIX magazines (four still in box).
http://http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=420789

rellascout
March 27, 2009, 09:30 AM
I have owned or currently own over 8 Hipowers.....

I have bought them over the last 5 years. I have never paid more than $600 and that was for a gun that had custom work done on it by Don at Action works..... and came with upgrades.

If you want a hi-power you need to be patient. Look around and don't buy anything that is over $700.

This is the last one I bought. It is a pre T series with the internal extractor.... I paid $525

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/Picture001.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/Picture002.jpg

earlthegoat2
March 27, 2009, 09:33 AM
Im not saying there arent other avenues to owning a HP. I just wanted to shed some light on what I see as some of the most outrageous geographic price premiums on the scene today.

Coronach
March 27, 2009, 10:25 AM
The time has passed on this design. There is a reason nobody is carrying them anymore. Nobody wants them because there are much better guns out there.Let's assume you wanted a SA 9mm. What other "better" options are there? Off the top of my head, I can think of a 9mm 1911...and that's about it.

Mike

dogtown tom
March 27, 2009, 12:26 PM
speedsix: ...The time has passed on this design. There is a reason nobody is carrying them anymore. Nobody wants them because there are much better guns out there.

"The time has passed......"? You're kidding. right? :scrutiny:

...Nobody wants them...
Horsehockey. No one can FIND them at Glock prices. The HP is one of the most popular (if not THE most popular) handguns ever worldwide. A "Browning" was the handgun of choice for everyone from Idi Amin and Saddam Hussein to Prince Harry.

..much better guns out there...
Horsehockey again. The BHP is one of the most reliable handguns ever manufactured. Still in military service with many of our NATO allies. If by better you mean cheap, then realize you get what you pay for.

You have a Beretta which is one of the best 9mms ever made. I think the Glock 17 is pretty good as well. Before you down the BHP road, get a Glock.
Yesterday 11:22 PM

And the Beretta 92 is a fat pig compared to the BHP. As to being better, ask that question again in fifty years. It is doubtful that those 92's will still be running without major parts replacement. My 1944 Inglis HP has only needed the occasional new recoil spring.

rbernie
March 27, 2009, 02:19 PM
And the Beretta 92 is a fat pig compared to the BHP.Frankly, most any duty-sized weapon is a fat pig compared to the BHP. It's amazing how slim and svelte it feels in comparison to more 'modern' offerings.

Hawk
March 27, 2009, 03:45 PM
Frankly, most any duty-sized weapon is a fat pig compared to the BHP. It's amazing how slim and svelte it feels in comparison to more 'modern' offerings

'specially if you put those skinny Navidrex things on 'em.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=30269&d=1130024298

atlanticfire
March 27, 2009, 03:48 PM
Have an FN HP has shot about 8K rounds. Works everytime and is super accurate. Got it new a few years back when FN still made them.

BlindJustice
March 27, 2009, 05:14 PM
Many claim that the BHP is an improvement by John M. Browning
over the 1911. Well, number one, JM Browning was working around
patents that were still held by Colt He did design a prototype however
he died at his desk working for Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. THe
french were looking for a 9mm Parabellum pistol and wanted a hi-capacity
feature. JMB didn't think this was needed. After his death Belgian arms designer Dieudonne Saive, working at FN. completed a production version
of the pistol now known as the Browning Hi-Power. The French backed out
of the deal and adopted a different handgun, one designed by a Mr. Peders
the design of it's slide to frame is later seen in the SIg 210 as well as the CZ
75 family of variants. The BHP became the Pistole 35 or p-35 for the year of it's adoption by the Belgian Military. Credited as the first Hi-capacity or
Double Stack magazine semi-auto.

During WWII the Germans kept the FN plant going and it produced some 350,000 Hi-Powers for the German Military. Many can be found used with german proof marks. THe Belgian Saive escaped to Canada and joined Kngalls which also made Hi-Powers for the Allies. G. Britain, Canada and other countries in the Commonwealth had the P-35 or Hi-Power as their
military sidearm decades.

The original design had an internal extractor like the 1911. Problem was they would break if the slide is allowed to slam shut on an empty chamber. In the early '60s, the extractor was changed to an external type.

The BHP has a magazine disconnector, meaning if the mag is removed the
trigger is disabled from operating the hammer. THe disconnector adds to the trigger pull, some gunsmiths doing a trigger job will remove the disconnector to lighten the trigger pull.

The Brits had a standing order of only carrying 12 rounds in a magazine due to reliability issues with 13 rds loaded. THe BHP is an elegant looking big service pistol, known for reliability and accuracy.

I had one of the first commercial models in the 70s offered with an adjustable rear sight. At the time, jHPs weren't as good as they are today,
and I recall it didn't like Federal ammo, and stovepiped those some. I sold
it and kept to the .45 - Commander and a S&W 25.

Today, I have a coiuple of similar .45s, but also looked at various 9mm Parabellum platforms last year for a range gun more economical. I got the CZ 75B I like the thumb operated frame mounted safety similar to the 1911
and BHP. Although in profile a CZ 75 and BHP look similar, the trigger is completely different,besides being DA/SA it also doesn't go up into the slide
like a BHP and no mag disconnect.

However, all that said, a BHP would be a great way to start on a collection of semi-auto 9mm parabellum chambered adopted and used
by various Military organizations

Others, might include
Luger p-08
Waltehr P-38
Sig 210
Beretta 1951 - this and the P-38 are ancestors
if you will of the 92FS, same design for the lock up
of the action.
Polish Vis Radom
Finlands Lahti
Star and Llama 9s

Probably enough for now,

Randall

it

jaydubya
March 27, 2009, 08:41 PM
On my first flying cruise to Vietnam, my issue weapon was the S&W .38sp Victory Model revolver. I considered it suitable only for firing tracers straight up while swallowing seawater by the gallon. So, knowing I was going back at least one more time, I bought my t-series BHP in 1968, and carried it for two more flying cruises to Vietnamese waters (plus four on a staff in between). The Hi Power sat in my sock drawer for thirty-some years, still loaded with Navy ball, until I became interested in shooting again. For six years now, I've fired it weekly, std press stuff only. I love it.

When I bought my BHP, it was the king of the high capacity (a better translation of Grande Puissance than "High Power") autoloaders. If I were shopping for a 9mm autoloader now, would I pay $600+ for a used Browning Hi Power, or $800+ for a new one? No. An awful lot of excellent handguns have come on the market since 1968, and many are for sale new for about $500. And finally, rumors are rampant that the FN/Browning Hi Power will soon cease to be made. No, I do not plan to buy another.

And one of my grandsons will get mine when they plant me.

Cordially, Jack

gafirefighter
March 27, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies and information. I will keep my eyes open and if the right one pops up I may just jump on it. Only time will tell.

Adam

tipoc
March 27, 2009, 10:27 PM
No one can tell you what might be the best gun for you, that is your call. What fits your hand and strikes your fancy will differ from other folks preferences. But for many the BHP is very hard to beat. There are many more modern designs but few as tested.

You may want to drop by here...

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

One of the better sites on the web and a useful one.

tipoc

KenW.
March 27, 2009, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't sell my HP for anything. Grandpa brought it back from WWII (liberated it from a German officer who no longer needed it). It has NAZI proofmarks. Shoots like a dream still!

Clifford
March 27, 2009, 11:23 PM
Hawk, who makes a stainless highpower? Never seen one before and now that I have I want one.

rellascout
March 27, 2009, 11:26 PM
That is a Custom Hi-power from Wild West Guns......

AKA as Wild Alaska

Ken and his crew are wizards with BHP.....

They did custom work on one of my BHPs......

I believe that finish is teflon..

http://members.cox.net/rsegal1/wildbhp2.gif

http://members.cox.net/rsegal1/wildbhp.gif

Clifford
March 27, 2009, 11:31 PM
Guess that explained the engraving on the rear of the slide. Man would that thing look good with my stainless Colt 1911's. Dammit I got to buy another gun.

JWF III
March 28, 2009, 02:05 AM
gafirefighter, I'm assuming the ga in your name means you're in Georgia. What part? I know of 2 different BHPs for sale in central Georgia at pawn shops. One is $600, the other is $575, both are probably negotiable and each is at seperate shops. One in Eatonton, the other in Monroe. PM me (or ask me here) if you're interested in more details.

BTW, if the econ was better I would have bought one of these. I love HiPowers, the 2 I have just isn't enough.

Wyman

Harold Mayo
March 28, 2009, 04:21 PM
Better guns out there? How are they "better"?

I will advance the suggestion that, if you see a guy carrying a BHP, you can safely assume that he will be better than 90%+ of the shooters that you will encounter, even among people who are considered "shooters" (not just the general public). There is a reason that some very good shooters carry the BHP. If the poster who suggested that doesn't "get it", I have to assume that he's not one of those upper tier shooters....

gafirefighter
March 28, 2009, 09:58 PM
Rellascout, that is a great looking Hi-Power. I may even consider doing some work like that on mine when I get it. Thanks for the pictures.

Adam

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi Power" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!