Does any body know what happened to the STg 44's?

PDA

Realbigo
March 27, 2009, 12:59 AM
So i'm working on a new idea for a short story where my hero will be a vet of the OSS runing around S.Korea shortly after the invasion by the north. I'd like to arm him w/ unusual, but cool, and possible. Therefore, I'm thinking about either a Stg44 or a FG42, but I have no idea where he might have been able to pick one up from after the war. Has anyone ever heard a story about the Allies packing up large numbers of either rifle and shipping them off to another army, or putting them into storage, or anything like that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Does any body know what happened to the STg 44's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
elmerfudd
March 27, 2009, 01:06 AM
I understand they are still in use in various hot spots around the world and I have seen pictures of them in captured arms caches in the middle east.

As to what happened to them immediately following the war, I don't know, but the Germans did make close to 1/2 million of them.

Pulse
March 27, 2009, 01:25 AM
the germans did employ soldiers from all over the world, among them Japanese.
they also used soldiers of Japans enemys, China and Korea.

when those "exchange" soldiers went home, i am sure there where some weapons lost in a boating accident or some such.

entirly possible that there where some MP44 among those weapons tragicly lost.

ALSO, before WW2, the germans did train parts of the Chinese army and i did hear reports that there where still some backdoor supply lines open from germany to China via smuggling.
also a possibillity.

ALSO the blueprints for the MP44/STGW44 where not exactly a big secret i am sure there where some built in other countrys.

Duke of Doubt
March 27, 2009, 01:44 AM
Realbigo: "So i'm working on a new idea for a short story where my hero will be a vet of the OSS runing around S.Korea shortly after the invasion by the north. I'd like to arm him w/ unusual, but cool, and possible."

On July 20/21, 1950 in Tejon, Korea, THEN Major General William F. Dean, United States Army, earned the Congressional Medal of Honor personally by leading 3.5 cm. bazooka anti-tank teams, armed himself at times with only a hand grenade, to destroy many oncoming North Korean T-34 tanks. Dean ultimately was captured, and released several years later.

http://www.militarymuseum.org/DeanCMH.html

Who needs some crummy Stg44 or FG42?

Realbigo
March 27, 2009, 02:04 AM
I remember reading about Korean Janissary Laborers being captured shortly after the Normandy Invasion. That's an interesting concept of him picking it up in China.

Acera
March 27, 2009, 11:47 AM
I would think keeping a ample supply of the unusual ammo the Stg used would be an issue.

Joe Demko
March 27, 2009, 11:50 AM
PPSh-41 isn't cool enough?

Trebor
March 27, 2009, 12:21 PM
If he's in South Korea it would make much more sense for him to use Japanese weapons instead of German weapons.

The Japanese were in Korea and all sorts of weapons were left behind. I'm not talking about "onsies - twosies" but depots full of weapons.

The downside is that the Japanese weren't much on SMG's and didn't have any assault rifle equivilant.

There's also the Soviet and Chinese weapons that would be available in that area. A captured PPsH would make sense.

For any captured weapon ammo supply is a concern, but if he's only trying to outfit himself, and not a group of men, then it wouldn't be hard to scrounge up a PPsh and a couple drums or stick mags.

Remember that PPsH drums need to be fitted to each individual gun so you could have a scene where he's getting ready for a mission and is fitting an extra drum he acquired to his personal PPsh.

The German weapons just don't make any sense though. There wouldn't be any reason for any to be there in any real numbers and there wouldn't be any ammo available, especially oddball stuff lik 7.62 Kurtz.

Onmilo
March 27, 2009, 12:22 PM
OSS agent running around in Korea at that time packing an StG44 would have been shot dead in fairly short order by someone on either side.

A French MAT49 submachine gun or a cut down Model 12 Winchester shotgun along with a Browning Hi-Power or Colt 1908 .380 would be better choices for your hero.

Gordon
March 27, 2009, 12:54 PM
Second on the French Mat 49 folder and the BHP!

HorseSoldier
March 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
Has anyone ever heard a story about the Allies packing up large numbers of either rifle and shipping them off to another army, or putting them into storage, or anything like that?

None of the western Allies. I'm sure the Soviets squirreled away a bunch of them, which I think they later sent to Syria among other places. The early post-WW2 East German military and paramilitary police used them also, and the Yugoslavians issued some to their airborne guys right up until the time that country fell apart.

I'm not aware of any east Asian connection that could account for an StG-44 turning up in the Korean Peninsula, but of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen. A StG-44 and a pallet of mags and ammo might be even more improbable, though.

Not sure if a 30-06 rifle isn't more than you'd want for the kind of stuff an OSS agent is likely to get up to, but both the Johnson Rifle and Johnson Light Machinegun saw combat use in the Pacific during WW2, and would be maybe more plausible in the location.

Another option might be the M2 carbine, but going a bit anachronistic and having him using one set up like an early Vietnam "Advisor Gun" with the barrel chopped right in front of the hand guards.

Duke of Doubt
March 27, 2009, 03:02 PM
We sent a whole bunch of Kar98K rifles to Israel.

I know, I know.

But we did.

Yes, they peened most of the Waffenamt swastikas. But they missed some.

CWL
March 27, 2009, 03:18 PM
ALSO, before WW2, the germans did train parts of the Chinese army and i did hear reports that there where still some backdoor supply lines open from germany to China via smuggling.

Yup. Largely unknown to the US but Germany and China had a close military relationship up until WWII. China was Krupps Armaments #1 customer after Germany itself. Before receiving American aid, Chinese military wore German "coalscuttle" helmets and their uniforms were modeled after Prussian uniforms.

German military advisers were attached to all of China's top units until Japan formally protested to have them removed. It is well documented that German diplomats in China tried to intervene with Japanese military to prevent atrocities, at least until Hitler recalled them.

Due to the chaos of WWII and the Civil War, weapons from all over the world flowed into China. While Germany had stopped arming China by 1942 it's not a big 'stretch' for you to arm your OSS with special weaponry.

Other suggestions how exotic weaponry ended-up in Korea.
1. OSS operative brought his own captured weaponry from Europe.
2. Russian link. The Russians did supply the N. Koreans with WWII weapons by way of Siberia, or it could have been 'liberated' from a Russian advisor.
3. From IndoChina. A large part of French Foreign Legionnaires serving in SE Asia happened to be displaced German military with no homes to go back to. This could have been a personal weapon of a German "Legionnaire" who sold it to your "hero".

If you enjoyed reading about "Does any body know what happened to the STg 44's?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!