Cool find...in my garage!

PDA

DFW1911
March 27, 2009, 12:20 PM
I was doing one of everbody's favorite chores - cleaning out the garage - when I came a cross a knife that hasn't seen the light of day in years: a Cold Steel SRK!

I completely forgot I even had this thing. My brother gave it to me years ago when he "de-weaponized" his house when the kids were born.

It's in new condition.

I realize it's not like hitting the lotto or getting some high-dollar knife, but it sure made cleaning the garage worth while.

Now, let me get to work on the attic...

Take care,
DFW1911

If you enjoyed reading about "Cool find...in my garage!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
X-Rap
March 27, 2009, 12:38 PM
A buddy of mines mom was cleaning her garage and found a stack of M14 mags that have been there for over 30 yrs. He doesn't have a M1A but I do:D. Made a sweet deal on those, told him to have her keep cleaning and the gun might even turn up.

TMM
March 27, 2009, 12:40 PM
finds like that are why i love looking through Grampa's attic... several years ago i found a couple bricks of .22's, case and a half of 20 gauge, case of .38....

My aunt has also found some collectibles up there that she ebay'd for her folks at a good profit...

unfortunately i am aware of all the stuff i own. i look forward to the day where i can find something that i forgot all about...

TMM

Ghost Tracker
March 27, 2009, 12:49 PM
I, too. have only recently reclaimed ownership of my garage back from the wasteland of Christmas Decorations & out-grown Mountian Bikes. I found a 60's vintage Daisy Model 99 Champion (Competition BB Gun). I'm hoping to uncover a Dino Ferrari of the same year!

The CS SRK is a great garage-find, I dare you to outlive it!

DFW1911
March 27, 2009, 02:32 PM
I also found my old Daisy pellet rifle...you know the one:

http://daisy.com/shopping/customer/product.php?productid=16150&cat=258&page=1

She's raked up many a Grackle, just about the only animal I'll shoot without regret, except varmints, of course!

Ghost Tracker
March 27, 2009, 02:54 PM
I guess garages are where old Daisy rifles go to hide. But it's funny, they never seem to die! Mine's (gulp!) 40 years old now. Still shoots where it's aimed. I wish my body was holding-up as well...:D

KevinAbbeyTech
March 28, 2009, 01:21 AM
I also found my old Daisy pellet rifle...you know the one

I have one of those too, I keep it racked up next to my real rifles.
I rarely use it though (that may change the way prices keep going up on ammo).

It is a relic of my childhood.
I shot my brother with it once, he was hiding behind a post I shot at...

TehK1w1
March 28, 2009, 02:10 AM
We had a tree take out about half our house during hurricane Ike, and about a month ago while the crew was rebuilding the roof, ceiling, etc, one of them was taking out the remains of the ceiling, and a BB pistol fell down with the chunks of the ceiling. It apparently hit the floor pointing directly at the site supervisor, giving him one heck of a scare :eek:
All we can figure is that a previous owner of the house hid it in the attic insulation at some point, and it sat there for 20+ years.

theotherwaldo
March 28, 2009, 01:19 PM
Found a Daisy on my screen porch last week. Our Red dog pulled a siding panel loose and there it was, rusty, dusty, and battered. It's the kind that came with a fake plastic scope that has long since broken off, so it has no rear sights. It still works, of course.

And, of course, it was still loaded.

DFW1911
March 28, 2009, 05:37 PM
I shot my brother with it once, he was hiding behind a post I shot at...

I shot my brother when he was hiding behind this huge brick planting "box" we had.

He didn't know it but I had managed to get onto the second floor balcony. While he was scanning the area for me he felt the unmistakable sting of a one-pump shot...right in his back.

My plan, which I thought was just brilliant, did have one flaw: he returned fire with a semi-auto Crosman pistol, sending me scrambling for cover, of which there was precious little. I was hit a time or two (or more).

Every battle thereafter I, too, was armed with my Crosman SA!

I need to get back to the garage and see what other treasures are just waiting to be discovered.

Thanks y'all,
DFW1911

KenWP
March 30, 2009, 07:34 PM
Well so far in my life I have found a Browning 22 auto in one old house that I still shoot 35 years later and it was made in 1914 and in and other old house I found a 22 single shot Cooey rifle and a Stevens Favorite in 25 Stevens. I have to keep looking I guess for a pellet gun.

DFW1911
April 1, 2009, 04:24 PM
Quick update: the Cold Steel knife I found is incredible. It has a great grip, fantastic edge and in flawless condition. The construction appears to be durable.

I'm thinking of a new business: I'll clean out your garage, free of charge, provided I get to keep some of the better finds!

Thanks,
DFW1911

hso
April 1, 2009, 09:13 PM
A buddy of mine's mother was cleaning her garage and found a Root beer face 1969 Rolex GMT Master and a 70 series Colt buried in a box of things of his. He's keeping the Colt and selling the Rolex since his mom needs a new car. Lucky find.

shrpshn
April 1, 2009, 09:24 PM
You have a keeper. If it is as old as you indicated, it is a SRK manufactured for Cold Steel by, the now defunct, Camillus Cutlery.

These American made SRKs, and Recon Tantos, are in demand because of the "proprietary" Carbon V steel used; and, just because they are probably the last USA made Cold Steel knives.

Modern SRKs & Recon Tantos are manufactured in Japan, using AUS-8A stainless steel, and are of good quality also.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cool find...in my garage!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!