New stock or new scope first?

PDA

bessemerbob
March 28, 2009, 10:56 AM
My savage 12FV is on its way YEAH! and I plan on putting a thumbhole stock on as well as upgrading from my Buckridge scope. I do not have the money to do both at one time. So I was thinking it would make more sense to have the stock upgraded first since this will require alot of moving and shaken.....

If you enjoyed reading about "New stock or new scope first?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P.B.Walsh
March 28, 2009, 05:42 PM
I would go for a nice stock of your choice.

Ed Ames
March 28, 2009, 06:28 PM
Unless you are dead against the current stock I would go with optics first. You know that a $50 scope (I think that's what the Buckridge is, if not sorry) isn't going to be everything you want. The stock stock may actually be just fine and switching to a new stock with no significant feature differences (e.g. special mounts or folding) is aesthetic. Works before Looks.

dagger dog
March 28, 2009, 08:28 PM
If you have a scope to mount on the 12FV go for the stock first 'cause the rifle comes without sights. Take a look at the Bell and Carlson DuraMax series you can get into a pillar bedded varmint barrel channel stock that is a very serviceable unit it will make the a whole world of difference in the way your new rifle looks and feels.

If you are dead locked in a on a thumb hole stock check out Stockys Stocks E-Bay Store, he has plenty for the short action Savage.

A heads up on the short action Savage there are two different action screw spacings out there so make sure to measure your action and get the correct spacing on your new stock.

The 12 FV has a very good out of the box accuracy reputation. When you hand load then it will become darn near scary!

12FV .223 Rem Bell and Carlson DuraMax stock, Burris 4.5X14 Ballistic Plex, one peice base and Weaver rings, Dicks sling .

PotatoJudge
March 28, 2009, 11:22 PM
If the factory stock fits you okay then definitely get the scope first. Look at the Nikon Team Primos for about $200.

bessemerbob
March 29, 2009, 03:16 AM
Well my situation is I have a cheap buckridge now that will get me at least shooting, Im dead set on a nice thumbhole to. So I was thinking that the bumping around that the gun with go through being restocked will lead to me having to re site it in.

WardenWolf
March 29, 2009, 03:39 AM
The Savage 12 doesn't have iron sights. A scope should be the first thing on your list as the gun will be effectively unusable without one. The people suggesting stocks are likely doing so on the assumption that the gun has iron sights. It does not. It needs a scope to be useful at all. Get a good scope on your gun, and customize it later. You can get by with a gun that doesn't feel just how you want it for a while as long as it shoots well.

If you enjoyed reading about "New stock or new scope first?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!