Here's what $81 can buy...

PDA

SaxonPig
March 28, 2009, 05:04 PM
A 1941 Turkish 98 complete with bayonet. Rifle is in much better condition than could be expected for the price and I think it will be fun to shoot. I have owned dozens of Mausers over the past four decades but never one with the 29" barrel and straight bolt handle. The best part is that I already have ammo. Got about 1200 rounds out in the garage.

Which side were the Turks on in WW II anyway?

Looking at my C&R log book the last three guns I have purchased have been Mausers. Actually not surprising.

http://www.fototime.com/C2FBB9537FF4ACE/standard.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's what $81 can buy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jaws
March 28, 2009, 05:07 PM
Which side were the Turks on in WW II anyway?

They stayed and watched how the rest of the world killed eachother. Kudos to them.

Lucky
March 28, 2009, 05:13 PM
They fought with the Germans.

Jaws
March 28, 2009, 05:20 PM
They fought with the Germans.

Dig deeper.:)

They entered the war on the allied side just as a symbolic act just weeks befor the war was over. No fighting.

Coronach
March 28, 2009, 06:24 PM
Lucky is probably thinking of WWI.They stayed and watched how the rest of the world killed each other. Kudos to them.I dunno if you can say Kudos for that. If they had sat out WWI, which had about the stupidest series of casual events for a major conflict that anyone can imagine, I would agree. WWII, however, was uncharacteristically clearcut in the good/evil department. Evil is not overcome by passive observation.

Not disparaging the Turks, mind you. The USA was sitting that one out, too, until the Japanese made a grave strategic error.

Mike

NCsmitty
March 28, 2009, 07:36 PM
SaxonPig, I'm guessing it's marked K.Kale, correct?
It's a large ring action utilizing a small ring threaded barrel.
Those were produced wholly in Turkey and seem to be the best of the standard length Mauser's produced there.
I have converted a few of them for my own use.

Some of the other Turk Mauser's were converted 1903 intermediate actions originally produced in Germany and at the end of the war they produced a hodge-podge of rifles from German parts and their parts. Some were the standard small ring thread barrels and others were large ring threads.

Turkey was neutral during WWII, but was sympathetic to the Germans who escaped the Russian invasion of the Caucasus.

NCsmitty

Jaws
March 28, 2009, 08:15 PM
WWII, however, was uncharacteristically clearcut in the good/evil department.

In general yes but things are not always black and white. I can't blame most eastern Europe countries for joining axis. Soviet Union wasn't exactly the best neighbour to have. :(
Look, even the Poles, clearly on the allies side got invaded by the Russians the same time the Germans invaded.
In that area of the world it was more like chosing the lesser evil then chosing good vs evil.

BTW. That's a nice rifle and great deal Saxon. Congrats.
Here in Canada you barely get a carton of cigarets for that money.:cuss::D

SaxonPig
March 28, 2009, 09:12 PM
Yes, K.Kale (manufacturer?) under the crescent moon and star symbol that splits the name Ankara (city where it was built?). ASTCFA (?) written above the star symbol but not sure what it means.

For its age and I assume a rough history the rifle is in amazingly good condition. It still has most of its blue intact with no pitting that I can see anywhere. The bore even looks pretty decent. Seller said is a good shooter and I bet he's right.

It's just fun to find something to play with for such a cheap price.

Kind of Blued
March 28, 2009, 11:40 PM
You could have got two P-Mags on E-Bay for that money! :neener:

That looks like a whole lot of fun.

alemonkey
March 28, 2009, 11:47 PM
Looks like a smoking good deal, I wish I could find one like that.

.45Guy
March 28, 2009, 11:52 PM
In general yes but things are not always black and white. I can't blame most eastern Europe countries for joining axis. Soviet Union wasn't exactly the best neighbour to have.
Look, even the Poles, clearly on the allies side got invaded by the Russians the same time the Germans invaded.
In that area of the world it was more like chosing the lesser evil then chosing good vs evil.

BTW. That's a nice rifle and great deal Saxon. Congrats.
Here in Canada you barely get a carton of cigarets for that money.

Thank you Jaws. I had family that was anti communist, and realized that the allies had no intentions of heading their way. They did what they had to do and surrendered to the english at the end of the war... big mistake... Of course I have pictures of a bunch of my relatives in their JNA uniforms, so I gues they got over it eventually...

manthegun
March 29, 2009, 12:34 AM
quote:
The USA was sitting that one out, too, until the Japanese made a grave strategic error.

What an appropriate adjective.

gallo
March 29, 2009, 12:42 AM
what is the ammo?

WardenWolf
March 29, 2009, 01:09 AM
Turkey was neutral during WWII, but was sympathetic to the Germans who escaped the Russian invasion of the Caucasus.

I'd feel a bit sorry for them, too. It was better to be captured or interned by almost anyone besides Russians. They were freaking brutal. Keep in mind that your typical German infantryman was not involved in or aware of the genocide that was going on. They weren't all monsters, and it's best to remember that. Very nice Turkish Mauser. Enjoy it.

dakotasin
March 29, 2009, 02:58 AM
what is the ammo?

8x57, aka 8 mauser or 8mm mauser.

saxon - i had 2 just like the one you have now. 1 of those 2 has been converted to a fairly high-end custom hunting rifle, chambered to 8x57. the other just sits. not sure what i'll do w/ it, but i suppose some day i'll sport that one too.

the one i have that is untouched also has the bayonet cover. it is a nifty looking rifle.

SaxonPig
March 29, 2009, 10:43 AM
gallo- The ammo is... appropriately... Turkish surplus that I bought a few years ago when it was dirt cheap. Saw it advertised all over the place but bought it at a local show from a dealer and I paid like $69 for 1400 rounds. I have used some of it in my other rifles and it seems to work fine. I suspect it's corrosive so a good cleaning is undertaken after shooting.

NCsmitty
March 29, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yes, Turk surplus is corrosive and it's some of the highest powered 8MM ammo available.
Here's a link to ammo tests that were done.

http://www.turkmauser.com/ammo/mhbTurk.aspx

NCsmitty

SaxonPig
March 29, 2009, 01:29 PM
Interesting info. I now recall that I am still using some Egyptian 8x57 I picked up a number of years ago and haven't started shooting the Turk stuff yet. Will have to check the stamps for dates.

That Turk ammo is loaded pretty hot according to that web site. I think fully loaded military Mauser ammo is not unusual. I have some FN 7x57 dated 1970 that uses a 139 grain BT bullet and velocity is 2925 with amazing consistency, like 10 FPS variation. This ammo feels a bit warm but is very accurate in my 98 and my Ruger #1.

We have to recall that the 98 is an extremely strong action and apparently these rifles used this ammo we feel is on the warm side for many decades and apparently did so without mush trouble.

jws527
March 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
For $81, I would have been on that twice over.

RyanM
March 29, 2009, 01:53 PM
In general yes but things are not always black and white. I can't blame most eastern Europe countries for joining axis. Soviet Union wasn't exactly the best neighbour to have.

Indeed. And what was the Russian government's approach to Judaism at around that time? "1/3rd should starve, 1/3rd should leave the country, and 1/3rd should convert" sounds familiar...

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's what $81 can buy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!