How NOT to release a Bobcat

PDA

SwearNoAllegiance
March 29, 2009, 12:55 PM
Dunno if this has been posted, but I thought it worthy of sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0xp5YhtyA

If you enjoyed reading about "How NOT to release a Bobcat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wankerjake
March 29, 2009, 01:49 PM
Humph. I agree, I think I wouldn't have let him go. Must have been after something else.

a-sheepdog
March 30, 2009, 11:07 PM
I don't think that I would have done that.

paintballdude902
March 31, 2009, 01:58 AM
not smart but atleast they tried to help it

mbt2001
March 31, 2009, 09:02 AM
hahahaha

Do not get at eye level with a cat... That is inviting trouble.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 31, 2009, 12:19 PM
One of my buddies is from South Dakota. Said that on the Sioux reservations, the Indians would pick up anything they find on the side of the road. So, when one of his friends caught a bobcat in trap, they stuffed it in an old suitcase and set it by the side of the road on the reservation. Then went and hid off the road a ways to watch. Pretty soon, here came a car with quite a few Indian folks inside and sure enough, they stop and pick up the suitcase and drove off. The car disappeared over the hill. My buddy and his friends got in their car and drove over the hill. Scene was that car stopped in the middle of the road, all four doors open, opened suitcase, no bobcat OR human beings to be seen. You do the math. :)

ArmedBear
March 31, 2009, 12:21 PM
LOL

But I thought the Sioux were like, totally in tune with nature, dude. Like Dances with Wolves.

lgbloader
March 31, 2009, 11:34 PM
Looks like they dance with bobcats too. LOL

LGB

Funderb
April 1, 2009, 12:23 AM
awesome! I want one as a pet now.

a-sheepdog
April 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
I agree with Paintballdude902. I am pretty sure that I would not have taken that approach,unfortunately for the cat. On a positive note, the cat survived as I don't like the take lives of animals that I have no use for (wouldn't eat him).

alistaire
April 1, 2009, 12:51 PM
One of my buddies is from South Dakota. Said that on the Sioux reservations, the Indians would pick up anything they find on the side of the road. So, when one of his friends caught a bobcat in trap, they stuffed it in an old suitcase and set it by the side of the road on the reservation. Then went and hid off the road a ways to watch. Pretty soon, here came a car with quite a few Indian folks inside and sure enough, they stop and pick up the suitcase and drove off. The car disappeared over the hill. My buddy and his friends got in their car and drove over the hill. Scene was that car stopped in the middle of the road, all four doors open, opened suitcase, no bobcat OR human beings to be seen. You do the math.

So how did your buddy induce the bobcat to go from the trap to the suitcase?

edSky
April 1, 2009, 01:25 PM
Except for the man on the right having been de-capped, it doesn't look like it turned out so badly. I've acted more cautiously letting a squirrel out of a have-a-heart trap. But then again, I've seen a squirrel inflict some pretty serious gnashes on some dummies who tried to corner and catch one once. Lots more blood than you would imagine, unless you've seen their teeth in action.

chas08
April 1, 2009, 01:43 PM
So how did your buddy induce the bobcat to go from the trap to the suitcase?

That would have been my next question. Seems I've heard this tale before but it was on the east side of San Antonio and they weren't Indians.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 1, 2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah, the details were a bit sketchy - I'll ask him next time I email him - he's back in SoDak now.

Does sound a bit like one of those tales that seems to happen to a LOT of people, now doesn't it? :)

Maelstrom
April 1, 2009, 02:21 PM
Two points to ponder.

1. The gentlemen were of the OLDER variety.

2. The gentlemen were of the RURAL variety.

My experience teaches me that neither of those things is conducive to taking instruction from anyone who is younger and/or more urban than they are.

I'd have stood way back and just let them have at it.

TooTaxed
April 2, 2009, 11:05 PM
True story:

When I was in a fraternity at GA Tech (Atlanta) in the late 'fifties, one of the brothers brought a bobcat he'd trapped on his farm...mascot for the Frat! Didn't work out well...soon a number of the brothers were sporting slashes, as the cat would charge anyone who came close to the cage. The cat had to go! After considerable discussion, we made a plan to make the most of the opportunity. (also considered: turning it loose in a competing frat house, leaving it in a laundramat dryer, puttting it in a closet in the faculty lunchroom...and several other innovative ideas...!)

One of the brothers had a large suitcase with a broken lock he was about to dispose of. We cut a hole in one corner to provide breathing air, then tossed a large blanket over the cat in the cage (THAT was an interesting process!), stuffed it into the suitcase and closed the lid mostly shut, pulling the blanket out of the crack, latched it shut...Voila...one extremely angry cat in suitcase!

We piled into several cars and drove out of town. Waited until no one was in sight, then set the suitcase on the road shoulder...after shaking the suitcase pretty good, of course! That suitcase just quivered with super anger! Then we quickly drove into cover and awaited developments.:evil:

Almost immediately a car came speeding past the suitcase, then slammed on the brakes! Half a dozen dark male heads popped out of windows, looking around...then the car quickly backed up and one fellow jumped out, tossed the suitcase into the rear seat, and the car sped off! We followed, in time to see the car suddenly swerve far to the left, then the right, going through the ditch and a fence before it could stop...with all doors wide open and fellows running everywhere!:what:

It was memorable.:D

atomd
April 4, 2009, 08:57 AM
That's some funny stuff there TooTaxed!

Oh,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9W5u11V7LM

I still wouldn't want one for a pet though!

moooose102
April 4, 2009, 10:09 AM
well, not as bad as i had expected. really, all the bobcat was doing was to get away. it certainly could have been a lot worse.;)

Sunray
April 5, 2009, 01:13 AM
PO any cat and you're going to pay for it. The guy was lucky Kitty didn't catch an eye.

If you enjoyed reading about "How NOT to release a Bobcat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!