.30-30 WIN competition for April

PDA

Clint C
March 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
Look to post #35 for official rules, And you can start posting scores anytime.

If you enjoyed reading about ".30-30 WIN competition for April" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
woof
March 29, 2009, 01:41 PM
Better allow scopes or have a separate contest for glass.

Clint C
March 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
OK, so maybe we will have scopes and we can have a scope winner, non-scope winner, and an overall winner.

What do you all think?

_N4Z_
March 29, 2009, 04:28 PM
I vote for irons only.

Or with/without category.

Schleprok62
March 29, 2009, 05:02 PM
can have a scope winner, non-scope winner, and an overall winner.

What do you all think?

This seems like a fair way to do this... I've been needing to get my 336c out and do something with it...

Who's with us????
:D

lionking
March 30, 2009, 12:58 AM
My M94 is ready and waiting!!!!!!:DMay I suggest we use a paper plate as the target like we did for the milsurp contest,which will make it easier for people to obtain the same target?

scythefwd
March 30, 2009, 01:10 AM
I'd love to join in, but my .30-30 is a bolt. Have fun and announce when you decide to let us, the bolt action .30-30 owners, join in the fun too.

Clint C
March 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
I like the paper plate idea. What do all the rest of you think?

Nugilum
March 30, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'll join. I'll use my boy's 30-30. My son's 1968 Winny has a side scope so I can do both with the same gun! :D

woof
March 30, 2009, 12:42 PM
I think there are so many .30-30s with scopes (for old eyes) and their owners probably don't want to take the scopes off for this, and might not be able to see the paper plates anyway.

What I think would be really interesting is a class for completely offhand, standing, no support of any kind.

Clint C
March 30, 2009, 02:58 PM
Here is a thought for off hand you can shoot at the whole paper plate and measure your groups. For benchrest you have to put a five inch black circle in the center of the paper plate and hit the circle for your shots to count. You can paint it completely black or just put a black circle on it.

What do ya'll think of that?

Gewehr98
March 30, 2009, 03:29 PM
No Savage 340s or Remington 788s? :(

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 30, 2009, 04:37 PM
Good question! And can I not play with my Savage 24V? :(

Clint C
March 30, 2009, 04:52 PM
Since there has been so much interest in playing with the bolt actions, looks like I may have to open a bolt category.

lionking
March 30, 2009, 10:01 PM
Paperplate open sights,I paint mine black personally.

decide on a target for scoped

allow any rifle in 30-30

have a winner for iron sights,and a winner for scoped

we could always start a seperate leveraction contest thread for any make or caliber.

This would give a good thread for seeing accuracy among 30-30,and a thread for accuracy of a leveraction in general.I have a M94 38-55 that needs to go out to the range again.That is my thoughts.:D

Clint C
March 30, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ok, who else wants to see all the .30-30 go against each other? That means bolts and levers in the same competetion.

Irons get to use a 7" black circle and Scopes get to use a 4" black circle on the paper plate, and you must hit the black circle for your score to count. Off hand gets to use the whole paper plate.

How about that? Does it sound fair to you all.

gvnwst
March 30, 2009, 10:38 PM
I will see if i can steal my brothers 336 for this, but no promises.

Clint C
March 30, 2009, 11:14 PM
I see, coming over here to see if you can beat me at the .30-30 comp huh?

Well you have a more fair chance over here since all I have is a plain jane 1894 with Irons. It is very accurate though. LOL Great rifle, it is my favorite of all my guns.

gvnwst
March 30, 2009, 11:19 PM
No, i just have never taken it out to shoot. :neener: It used to have a scope on it, but i took it for one of my guns.:D

So, if i take it, i will see just how accurate it is with his ammo.

Clint C
March 30, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ah screw it,LOL, everyone uses a paper plate no circles, you can add them if you want. There will be a winner for scope, Irons, and off hand. All rifles are in bolts and levers. You can color the plate what ever color you want.

Make all your suggestions now because the competition starts on April 1st and the rules will not be changed after the competition starts.

Clint C
March 30, 2009, 11:24 PM
Thats cool, I was just busting your B's. LOL

gvnwst
March 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
Okay, i don't even know what that means...:uhoh::D

Gordon
March 30, 2009, 11:31 PM
I have this old Ballard that has a lever on the bottom, it has a Soule tang sight . Did you say it had to be a lever action REPEATER?

janobles14
March 30, 2009, 11:33 PM
im down for this! my good old 30aw will dot a "i"!

Clint C
March 30, 2009, 11:41 PM
As of right now you can use a lever or bolt, it can be single shot or repeater.

Must be .30-30

If anyone is apposed to anything and doesn't want to speak out in front of everyone you can PM me and I will not tell anyone were it came from, but remember majority rules.

Kymasabe
March 31, 2009, 12:30 AM
Count me in. I just picked up my '78 Glenfield .30-30 today. First lever gun I've ever owned and my first .30-30.
Just tell me what to shoot at and how to submit my target.
Mine is scoped by the way so enter me in the "scope" category.

jacob.elliott
March 31, 2009, 07:26 PM
i guess ill break out the old marlin and see if i can even hit the plate lol

Clint C
March 31, 2009, 08:11 PM
That old wind won't push around the .30-30 will it jacob.elliott? LOL

jacob.elliott
March 31, 2009, 08:15 PM
if it does the tornado whistles should be blowing.

last weekend i thought we were going to have a snow wrapped nader. that target prolly wouldn't have looked any worse than the one i posted tho. lol

Clint C
March 31, 2009, 08:21 PM
That pretty funny man. (jacob.elliott) This year I watched it snow while there was a lightning storm. If I had ever seen that as a kid I don't rememmber it, it was very cool.

Here is a way I suggest we measure the targets.

You measure groups by measuring the distance to the outside of farthest shots,
then subtract aprox. .308".

If anyone has a better way let me know, or if this is not the proper way let me know.

jacob.elliott
March 31, 2009, 08:31 PM
sounds good to me, thats how i would do it. i will probably have to measure mine with a yard stick so it might be hard subtracting .308 :o

Clint C
March 31, 2009, 08:49 PM
That's ok, if we go with decimals I have one of those fancy calculators that will convert it from fractions to decimals. I could do it on paper, but they taught me to do it with a calculator. LOL

jacob.elliott
March 31, 2009, 09:01 PM
see everything we learn in school is a waste lol

black_powder_Rob
March 31, 2009, 11:54 PM
okay i am all roared up about this!!! now i just have to find some ammo:rolleyes: hopefully i will find it soon enough, if not i might just order some online.

Clint C
April 1, 2009, 10:43 AM
Place a regular paper plate at 100 yards and try for your best three shot groups. You can color the plate what ever color you want, and add circles if you would like.

All actions are legal, must fire a .30-30 Win round.

There will be a scope category and irons category.

Any shooting position, (including benchrest) no gun vises. Bags are legal, so are bi-pods, but nothing to lock the rifle down and the butt of the rifle must touch your shoulder.

There will also be an off hand category. No support other than your body. In other words no devices to help you shoot. No benches, shoulder hooks, just you and your rifle.

There will be a winner for scope, Irons, and off hand

Shoot as many targets as you wish and then enter your best target. Enter one target per gun. You can enter with one gun and use it for iron sights category and scope category, but must use irons in the iron category and a scope in the scope category. You can enter one target per class, once you have done so that's it you have submitted a target, no more.

Here is what you will need to put on your post when you show your score.

Name (whoever shot the target, there name should go here, and must be a member, just put down the site name of the person who shot it.)
Rifle used-brand and model, action
Sights-Irons or scope
position-bench, laying down, exc.
Score-group measurment
Additional information- like weather, wind, sun, just any commits you wish to add.
Then if you have a way to do it, put a picture of your target, and any other pictures you wish to add.

You measure groups by measuring the distance to the outside of farthest shots,
then subtract aprox. .308".

There will be no rule changes during the competition, if people try to change the rules and compete with those changed rules, your target will be void. This is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship. If you feel I left something out that we discussed on the original start of this competition let me know, and that will be the only rule changes considered.

Please keep the bickering of what rifle brand is better to a minimum, and no politics.

Happy shooting to all! I look forward to seeing what you all can do with your .30-30.

Rule change!
Ok, after much debating I will make a rule change. For this first month of the competition I am going to Have the lever guns (repeaters) in their own category, and everything else in the next category. We will see how it goes, and may throw them all in the same mix the following month. The only reason I am doing this is because this was supposed to be a .30-30 lever competition to start with, and there was a lot of interest for others. So here we are. Everything will be divided up as irons and scope, and off hand, just like before, but now there are two categories 1. Lever rifles that are repeaters, and 2. everything else that shoots .30-30.

Clint C
April 1, 2009, 10:54 AM
To compete in the official competition click on link below.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=439913

Art Eatman
April 1, 2009, 12:49 PM
I've merged the two threads, trying to avoid confusion. Crossed fingers.

Art

gvnwst
April 1, 2009, 12:59 PM
Ummm...Art, i think Clint was wanting to have this thread die, and the other to get stickied.....less confusion that way.(not having all these other replies)
:)

gvnwst
April 1, 2009, 01:00 PM
Thats odd, it don't say i posted....although i see it?
EDIT: now it does:D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 1, 2009, 01:09 PM
Well, I will just say that the rules are fine as is, except that make everyone report what kind of gun they used, and divide the scores into 2 categories: (a) leverguns (b) anything else.

Clint C
April 2, 2009, 04:53 PM
Ok, after much debating I will make a rule change. For this first month of the competition I am going to Have the lever guns (repeaters) in their own category, and everything else in the next category. We will see how it goes, and may throw them all in the same mix the following month. The only reason I am doing this is because this was supposed to be a .30-30 lever competition to start with, and there was a lot of interest for others. So here we are. Everything will be divided up as irons and scope just like before but now there are two categories 1. Lever rifles that are repeaters, and 2. everything else that shoots .30-30.

woof
April 2, 2009, 05:43 PM
Nobody has mentioned this but I assume the offhand guns can be with or without scopes and are in the same category either way?

Clint C
April 2, 2009, 07:29 PM
That is correct. Pretty much every category will have a scoped and iron winner. This more or less is three competitions in one thread and then we can compare all of them. Thanks for pointing it out as I didn't specify that in the rules. I am really excited about the off hand competition. With all the categories here there should be a lot of participation.

Clint C
April 2, 2009, 07:32 PM
I think I miss read your post, but I think it would be good to have a scope winner and irons winner in each category.

lionking
April 4, 2009, 10:28 PM
Well here is my entry.I have this M94 sighted in with Federal ammo,which with it it centers around the bulls.But I had Winchester and Remington ammo on hand so that is what I used.

Included is a photo of my five tries,so you can see what I averaged which 2 inch groups is not consistant sizes more like 4 inches.With Winchester Super X 150gr I managed a 2 inch group with iron sights so that is my entry.Did three tries with Remington ammo,two with Winchester.

I shot shouldered with a rest.I may enter a standing position target maybe.I would like to get hold of some leverevolution ammo to see how that does also.My 30-30 dates back to around 1977 when my dad bought it for me when I was 13.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa45/lionking_rocks/winchester%20m94%2030-30/016.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa45/lionking_rocks/winchester%20m94%2030-30/023.jpg

JustsayMo
April 5, 2009, 11:13 AM
Nice shooting LK.

I gotta get in on this! Way fun. Thanks ClintC

hossdaniels
April 5, 2009, 11:35 AM
Here is my brand new to me(1969 production) winchester 94 in 30-30 that I picked up(err... stole) out of the classifieds last week for $125!:neener:

Its a shooter too!

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww303/hrcarver/30-30.jpg

Under 1.5" at 85 yds with open sights off of coat hood of the truck!

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww303/hrcarver/30-30005.jpg

A 2" group at 85 yards with open sights off of coat and hood of truck.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww303/hrcarver/30-30006-1.jpg

A 5 1/2" group at 85 yards with open sights off coat and hood of truck(nobody is perfect:o )

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww303/hrcarver/30-30008.jpg

Not bad over all huh? I know its not a legal 100 yds, but its best I could do this morning.

Hud
April 5, 2009, 12:36 PM
Even better if you shot those Frisbees in the air, Hoss.

hossdaniels
April 5, 2009, 02:34 PM
Lol, they are not frisbees, left over christmas plates.

Schleprok62
April 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
Do you also want ammo information posted with the target? I'll be using handloads from a 1976 Marlin 336C, scoped with a 4x Barska... hopefully, we'll get a nice day here soon to get out and get this done... hmmm... need to go get some paper plates too... LOL

R.W.Dale
April 5, 2009, 05:43 PM
Put me in the "Other with Irons" category. The below groups were fired from a front rest offin the bench.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/GROUPS/HPIM2407.jpg

gvnwst
April 5, 2009, 05:56 PM
Nice shooting krochus. How is the recoil in those BFRs?

R.W.Dale
April 5, 2009, 06:03 PM
Nice shooting krochus. How is the recoil in those BFRs?

Thanks!

The 30-30 BFR is a real pussycat that recoils less than a ruger SA .357mag.

Clint C
April 5, 2009, 06:40 PM
Nice shooting guys, That BFR is awesome, I want one. As far as ammo goes you can add if you want, but don't have to. I will put it on mine just to give all the info I can. It is snowing here and windy as heck, so I won't get to the range for awhile, plus the wife is going to be induced tomorrow, and we will have a baby girl here tomorrow morning. We thought she would be here a few weeks ago, but she must have wanted to be born in April. This is great fun, and thanks for participating guys.

MJR007
April 5, 2009, 07:11 PM
My Grand-dads 94 32win feels left out.

hossdaniels
April 5, 2009, 08:46 PM
Krochus, that is some awesome shooting with a handgun. Good job man!

Clint C
April 5, 2009, 11:21 PM
That's not a handgun, that's a hand artillery piece! Man do I want one.

lionking
April 11, 2009, 05:57 PM
30-30 handgun,now that is cool.:cool:

scythefwd
April 12, 2009, 02:53 AM
Krochus,
Were those factory loads or roll your own? Do you think you could get much better with hand rolled?

BTW, that is some incredible shooting. With that short of a sight radius and you still are sub six inches? Have you chrono'd rounds out of that? Just wondering because I have been dreaming of a .30-30 revolver lately :).

R.W.Dale
April 12, 2009, 03:12 AM
Krochus,
Were those factory loads or roll your own? Do you think you could get much better with hand rolled?

BTW, that is some incredible shooting. With that short of a sight radius and you still are sub six inches? Have you chrono'd rounds out of that? Just wondering because I have been dreaming of a .30-30 revolver lately :).

As mentioned on the targets both were shot with very non tub mag friendly bullets (handloads),as for velocity I seem to be stuck in the low 1800fps range irregardless of bullet weight. I'm beginning to suspect that magnum primers are required to light things off before the cyl gap comes into play. More testing is required

As to the sight radius it isn't as much of an issue as you'd think at first. Compared to a 20" marlin or winchester with factory sights mounted on the Bbl my BFR's sight radius is only about 2" shorter. Remember I have a 10" bbl plus about 3.5" on the frame actually giving this revolver a better sight radius than many Soviet designed rifles.

The downside it's heavy! Weighing about as much as a winchester m94

lionking
April 12, 2009, 05:37 PM
C'mon peeps,lets see more entries.:D

Eb1
April 12, 2009, 05:52 PM
was raining bad today, but next weekend I should be able to post some pics/entries.

Clint C
April 12, 2009, 10:19 PM
Mine are coming, we had a baby last week, and have been very busy.

gvnwst
April 12, 2009, 11:20 PM
Well, i may be submitting my entry soon, and i just got back from a precision LR rifle course, so, who knows, i might just do reel good....(or pathetically bad:D)

lionking
April 13, 2009, 12:39 AM
congrats Clint!!!!!!!!:cool:

Clint C
April 13, 2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks Lionking

Clint C
April 19, 2009, 11:00 AM
Give this a bump to try and re-circulate on the new posts.

lionking
April 29, 2009, 11:24 PM
guys cmon dust off those 30-30's!Really want to see what you guys do with a scope!

Clint C
May 1, 2009, 09:45 AM
Lionking-2"-irons class-1st place

Krochus- 4.8"- Irons other category- 1st place

I will open this competition up for May and see if we get anymore people in to it. I won't procrastinate and miss out on the next competition.

Thanks guys and good job.

Eb1
May 1, 2009, 10:59 AM
that would be good. I am taking my 30-30s to the range this weekend. Will it be the same rules?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
May 1, 2009, 11:46 AM
Well, I suck - I guess it's over and I never got to the range with my .30-30. I was lucky just to turkey hunt once this crazy month of April.

Lionking-2"-irons class-1st place

Krochus- 4.8"- Irons other category- 1st place

Good job, boys!

Clint C
May 1, 2009, 09:20 PM
Yep same rules. I will get it posted here in a bit.

Judah Ben-Hur
May 1, 2009, 10:48 PM
I took my 30-30 out and tried about a week ago. The weather finally was nice. I was slowly working my groups up to the pie plate with some old Federal stuff. I dry fired and noticed something not right. The problem was the peep sight coming loose and I had to start the sight-in process over. Me and a buddy fixed that and I gave it a shot 2 different times. Damn it, I could only get 2 shots on the plate with the 3rd just off both times. :banghead: One was a 2" group and the other just under 3". No more Federals (red/white box) on hand. I did let him try some Remington 150's and 170's before he had to split. Both were very tight groups but they were about a foot and a half low from the plate. I'll give it another try. :D

Clint C
May 2, 2009, 12:02 PM
Here is the link for May's 30-30 competition.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5572027#post5572027

Judah Ben-Hur
I hate it when something like that happens. I have a .22lr where that has happened a few times.

lionking
May 2, 2009, 09:38 PM
Next time I hope I see some Marlin's in the thread,I don't own a Marlin and am curious to whether they tend to be more accurate than a Winchester or not.The 2 inch group I got was definately a "best of".Overall I 'd say in my hands 4-5 inch groups are more common.

gvnwst
May 2, 2009, 09:55 PM
Well, if i can get my brother to relinquish his marlin, i will take a preverbial shot at it. Maybe a few real shots too....

Judah Ben-Hur
May 2, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm not brand loyal to either Marlin or Winchesters. I've always heard the Marlin's were a little more accurate out of the box. Who knows, probably has more to do with the guy or gal pulling the trigger. My nephew has a 336 something that seems alot tighter than my 30-30 & 32 win spcl.

Ok May, here I come. :D

If you enjoyed reading about ".30-30 WIN competition for April" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!