Burning old rifles in Kenya

PDA

nathan
March 29, 2009, 05:58 PM
What a waste to see these go.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc127/Dongha_97/0317pod09.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Burning old rifles in Kenya" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gidaeon
March 29, 2009, 06:08 PM
:eek:

I wish there was a good program to distribute or even sell at least the bolt and semi's to citizens in various nations somehow. Export and make a little $. I won't claim to be up on world politics in every region. That's one big money pile and a lot of great tools.

JimJD
March 29, 2009, 06:15 PM
Please tell me those are really airsoft rifles and movie props.
:(

Are they going recycle the steel at least?

bang_bang
March 29, 2009, 06:25 PM
You should start a "spot the rifle" game with this pic. So many finds in the bunch.

I spotted a SKS and what looked like an Uzi pretty close together.

I would be more than happy to adopt those children...a shame to see them destroyed when so many good loving homes would shelter then in the U.S.

Deer Hunter
March 29, 2009, 06:27 PM
And yet, the violence carries on.

Auburn1992
March 29, 2009, 06:29 PM
I spot an enfield as well as an Rpk

Geno
March 29, 2009, 06:40 PM
Someone remind me again, what kind of firearm did Cain use to kill Abel?! He didn't?! Firearms didn't exist then?! Yet, violence is near as-old-as humanity?! So I'm confused...why burn the firearms? <<pause>> I get it...they must have needed to burn the wood on those cold African-continent afternoons. You know, when the temperature drops lower than 120 degrees! :banghead:

AHHHHHH! Look in the top row, just left of center...is that what I think it is?!?! A Browning BAR?!?!

squirrel sniper
March 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
I see some AKs, CETMEs, Lee Enfields, RPDs, a few RPGs, and unfortunatly, a few Garands, what a shame ( I also spotted a nice SxS shotgun, a Mosin, a few SKS's, as well as an AR )

Realbigo
March 29, 2009, 07:04 PM
I saw a ton of AK's, a smattering of SMLE's lots of RPK's & RPD's. CETME's or G3's( I can't tell for sure) and a few SKS's, but no BAR or Uzi's

Silverado6x6
March 29, 2009, 07:32 PM
Remember Obama is a Kenyan, what happens there could happen here.

bang_bang
March 29, 2009, 07:38 PM
but no BAR or Uzi's

I take my reference to the Uzi back...appears to be a wire-stocked AK but the glare made it look different.

grimjaw
Remember Obama is a Kenyan, what happens there could happen here.

:scrutiny:

So by virtue of the previous Catholic Pope being Polish, what happened there to Jews during the '40s could have happened in Italy by virtue of his nationality?

GIVE ME A BREAK. TRY LOGIC NEXT TIME.

Cap'n Jack Burntbeard
Its sad to see such a waste, there so many good homes for them to go to.:barf::barf:
I just know more than half of those have Rock 'n Roll switches on them.:D

Guero4179
March 29, 2009, 08:10 PM
Not enough info here to judge what that is all about.

Iansstud
March 29, 2009, 08:35 PM
I think pic is taken in Illinois???

skeet king
March 29, 2009, 08:39 PM
Look at the wood at that break action shotgun on the far right

Vern Humphrey
March 29, 2009, 08:58 PM
So by virtue of the previous Catholic Pope being Polish, what happened there to Jews during the '40s could have happened in Italy by virtue of his nationality?
The prevous pope was a member of a restance group that actually broke into concentration camps and rescued people.

Obama's father was a high-ranking official inthe government that perpetrated crimes like this. He is the one who advised the Kenyan government there was no reason they couldn't have a 100% tax rate if they gave the people enough to live on (of course the government would determine what was "enough to live on.")

RP88
March 29, 2009, 09:08 PM
I see a few Mausers, SKS's, RPDs and RPKs, various AKs...

...and a couple M1 Garands. Now that really hurts :(

rondog
March 29, 2009, 09:14 PM
Is there any more photos of this? Different angles, during the burn, etc.? I'm trying to collect photos of such lunacy.

shotgunjoel
March 29, 2009, 09:23 PM
That's so wrong, that's like burning people, oh wait, they do that too. Sell those things over here and you could actually make some money for your damb country. Put me down for one of those SMLEs.

Cannonball888
March 29, 2009, 09:23 PM
I found Waldo...twice.

J/K. Tragic photo. From BO or Odinga's scrap book?

Funderb
March 29, 2009, 09:27 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

this makes me sad.

Marcus5aurelius
March 29, 2009, 09:40 PM
Brings a tear to my eye...

ChronoCube
March 29, 2009, 09:44 PM
Poo...

Do you have a link from which you got that pic?

grimjaw
March 29, 2009, 09:44 PM
Vern, I think you know the point I was trying to make, and your answer had more fact in it than what I responded to.

jm

Titan6
March 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
Kittens are weeping....

Ohio Gun Guy
March 29, 2009, 10:19 PM
1. Looks like my rifles just got a little more RARE. (The bad way)
2. Kenya's life expectancy just droped.
3. The government/strongman of that country just got a little stronger.

cauberallies
March 29, 2009, 10:28 PM
I see a PKM if I am not mistaken.

HorseSoldier
March 29, 2009, 10:31 PM
I think there's a StG-44 in there slightly to the right side about mid-level.

Martyk
March 29, 2009, 10:34 PM
I see several K98 Mauser's

dbarile
March 29, 2009, 10:44 PM
OK:

Don't look if you don't want to see them burning.

/http://www.gulfcoastpundit.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/22403/

IndianaBoy
March 29, 2009, 10:53 PM
Stupidity abounds....

A nation with so much poverty destroys items that could be sold to fund malaria medicine or vitamins.

Float Pilot
March 29, 2009, 11:17 PM
Kenya
Kenyan Military 'Forcefully Collected' 3,000 Guns in North Rift Disarmament
East African Standard (Nairobi)
19 July 2007
The Government has recovered more than 3,200 illegal firearms in North Rift. Rift-Valley Provincial Commissioner Mr Hassan Noor Hassan said about 3,000 assortments of guns were forcefully collected during the first phase of the disarmament exercise launched last year. The administrator said residents surrendered the rest of the guns in the second phase of the disarmament. Late last year, Government suspended the exercise... ( gunpolicy.org )

Read More: East African Standard (Nairobi)

Kenya
Torching Illegal Guns Was Fine, But Not the End to Kenyan Insecurity
Daily Nation (Nairobi), Opinion
5 April 2007
The Government recently set ablaze 8,000 of the estimated 100,000 illegal weapons recovered from gangsters, unlicensed handlers and immigrants fleeing strife-torn neighbouring countries. Speaking during the occasion, Internal Security minister John Michuki said that the days of armed criminals were over, adding that the war to mop up the illegal guns will not stop. The firearms had been used in senseless murders, robberies and carjackings,... ( gunpolicy.org )

Read More: Daily Nation (Nairobi)

Kenya
Kenyan Pastoralists Defy Orders to Surrender Guns in Disarmament Drive
IRIN (UN News) / Reuters
22 March 2007
MARSABIT -- The severe drought in northern Kenya last year and cattle rustling have wiped out more than half of Halake Wario's livestock, but failed to dampen his determination to remain a pastoralist. "Livestock keeping is part of my Borana tradition but it is risky and tough," Wario told IRIN in Marsabit district. "Many people have been killed in the past and livestock stolen, [leaving] many families poor, but I wish the same... ( gunpolicy.org )

Read More: IRIN (UN News) / Reuters 23136

Kenya
Kenyans Relieved as 8,000 Illegal Guns Burn in Nairobi Ceremony
East African Business Week (Kampala)
20 March 2007
NAIROBI -- Kenyans went to sleep with a deep sense of relief last Thursday after an assortment of 8,008 guns, seized from criminals within just two years, were set ablaze. The government at the same time announced it would seek ultimate death as penalty for anyone found in possession of illegal arms or their imitations. "These weapons will never be used again for criminal purposes in our country or elsewhere," security... ( gunpolicy.org )

Read More: East African Business Week (Kampala) 23086

Rubber_Duck
March 29, 2009, 11:39 PM
I see a lot of SMLEs and AKs in that pic.

jaholder1971
March 29, 2009, 11:45 PM
Kenya sucks, and that's sad.

yenchisks
March 29, 2009, 11:51 PM
how are they staying stack like that?i wonder if theres any stg44 in there.

anotherinkling
March 30, 2009, 12:44 AM
I was in Kenya and Uganda last year and was amazed at the variety of firearms employed by the police and private security. The mall guards in Nairobi carried AK-47s, but I saw tons of folks in uniform carrying everything from pump shotguns to old Mausers. Not sure I saw a single handgun, though.

The political situation in Kenya is a difficult one. The government's trying to stop tribal fighting in parts of Kenya. They go in and say they want to help stop the violence. Then they round up the guns and end up making the compliant tribe easy prey for other tribes. It's a mess.

Gelgoog
March 30, 2009, 01:02 AM
makes me wonder if we didnt have those NFA laws, if some entrepreneurial American wouldnt just go down there and buy the whole lot up for resale here. But even if we could buy those from kenya, I don't think they would be getting past the ATF.

RugerOldArmy
March 30, 2009, 01:23 AM
*sniff* Look on the right edge, mid-height, nice wood, pistol-grip, break action.

Could be an old Merkel or Holland and Holland double rifle.:eek:

rondog
March 30, 2009, 01:32 AM
Problem is, in a society like that, they HAVE to destroy all the guns they collect. The second they turned their backs, all those guns would disappear right back into the bush to continue the slaughtering.

Of course, all those guns come from gun shows here in the US, don'tcha know, just like all the drug cartel guns in Mexico.

Could be an old Merkel or Holland and Holland double rifle.

In Africa? I'm sure that's very possible! Stolen from some murdered wealthy white English rancher, no doubt.

Brian Dale
March 30, 2009, 01:46 AM
Eliminate “illicit” (non-government-approved) SALW {small arms and light weapons}, and you eliminate the most effectual barrier against genocide. Civilians with light arms cannot necessarily overthrow a well-entrenched and well-armed regime, but even the most powerful governments find it very difficult to perpetrate genocide against populations armed with firearms. Genocide victims can, at the least, make it likely that a few secret policemen may die every time another family is rounded up. The costs quickly become unacceptably high for a regime that needs the approval and cooperation of its secret police.

The historical record is very clear about how very rare it is for genocide to be attempted—let alone succeed—against an armed populace. If every family on this planet owned a good-quality rifle, genocide itself would be on the path to extinction.

From: Gun Ownership and Human Rights (http://www.davekopel.com/2A/Foreign/Brown-Journal-Kopel.htm), by David B. Kopel, Joanne D. Eisen & Paul Gallant.
The Brown Journal of World Affairs, Winter/Spring 2003 – Volume IX, Issue 2

RugerOldArmy
March 30, 2009, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Could be an old Merkel or Holland and Holland double rifle.

In Africa? I'm sure that's very possible! Stolen from some murdered wealthy white English rancher, no doubt.

After they light the fire, send 'em this link ;) http://www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/london/new_stock_weapons/

jim in Anchorage
March 30, 2009, 02:10 AM
No different than seeing a US police chef taking a torch to US "buy back" guns.

D-Day
March 30, 2009, 02:20 AM
First one I spotted was a Lee Enfield. Damn shame.

Sheldon
March 30, 2009, 04:57 AM
Looks like someone turned on a giant electro-magnet and drove through Mexico City.

If you enjoyed reading about "Burning old rifles in Kenya" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!