Your oldest hunting fantasy

PDA

jim in Anchorage
March 30, 2009, 01:00 AM
I have two- drop a charging rhino with a .577 double rifle-and I have no idea where the other came from-shoot a alligator in a southern swamp with a .56-56 Spencer repeater

If you enjoyed reading about "Your oldest hunting fantasy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bang_bang
March 30, 2009, 01:16 AM
I don't really have an old hunting fantasy. I've dropped a couple of nice bucks that I thought I would never accomplish after years of unsuccessful hunting. I've took my girlfriend hunting and watched her shoot her first deer (happy moment, can't wait for that feeling again whenever I have kids to take hunting). I've seen amazing sights while sitting in the woods, ones that made me stop and gaze, like a great-horned owl perched in the top of a pine tree watching the field no more than 40 yards from me.

In about two years, I'll be relocating with the little lady while she goes to school. Our hunting days will be put on hold for a few years until she finishes and has time to venture back into the country with me (I'm still going for a few days). After our schooling is through with, I know we'll be hunting companions again and hopefully venture out west for some bigger animals.

I would have to honestly say that my ultimate hunting fantasy would be to watch her take a big bull elk.

jim in Anchorage
March 30, 2009, 01:27 AM
Nice reply. You have no idea how lucky you are. Good luck in the future.

BENELLIMONTE
March 30, 2009, 03:39 AM
Raquel Welch in my tent when I get back from a long day of elk hunting. I have been having that fantasy for the last 35 years!:)

H&Hhunter
March 30, 2009, 04:19 AM
Waking up tommorrow in 1950 Kenya with a W.R. 470NE a .375H&H a jeep and enough cash to last for the next decade.:cool:

sm
March 30, 2009, 04:23 AM
I've had mine.

Born in the mid 50's, and in Field & Stream Robert Ruark had his stories.
Stories about quail.
These stories were read to me, when I was very young.

One only needs to load two, when bird hunting, I mean one should be able to shoot a shotgun, period.

The only time I ever loaded 3 shells in a pump or semi auto, was a few time s when I was backing up folks upland or waterfowl hunting. Sometimes you get more than one client that could not hit the broad side of a barn if they were standing in it.

Still, it was rare for me to load more than two. I was raised to keep the gun fed, and running.

Quail are very special to me.
Respect the quail - Ruark

You pick one bird, and fell it. This is the proper way to hunt birds.

So I had my dreams:

1. I wanted to take a double on quail, using a single shot shotgun.
I accomplished this using a 28 gauge.

2. I wanted to take a triple, which is a rare thing period, still I this was a dream.
I accomplished this with a 28 ga O/U.

I had other dreams, and I have been fortunate to accomplish these as well.
Like felling a 15 limit of doves with the fewest shells. I used 11 28 ga shells to fell 15 doves, and won the pot one morning. The previous record was someone used 12 shells.

-
Rifles.
I started with handguns first, mentors had reasons for this.

Then I did rifles. Now I some Military folks as mentors, and I wanted to do that sniping bit, where I felled targets, but was not spotted.

I ain't that big, and was using a .22 rifle. I worked so hard to learn this, with a Mentor by my side mentoring.
They set up a course, and one day I finally got my targets and was not spotted.

I get a bit bigger and again a course is set up and I wanted to do this one.
This one was harder.
"Just get the targets and don't get spotted or snake bit"

It took me a long time to get to one area. This set up was hard!
I had one last target, and I knew they were watching any routes I would take to get a shot with a rifle.

I worked my way, s-l-o-w.
Mentors said "just get the targets, don't get spotted, or snake bit".

I left my rifle, used some fishing line...and worked real slow , as I was hoping I could get a shot with a pistol, then evade ...

I used the fishing line to create a diversion away from where I really was.
I knew they would pick up on it, and ..."we got you spotted, stay put, and we are coming .."

My last target felled with a handgun shot, I was not with the rifle,and I evaded by going a route "nobody would be crazy enough to use".

I was eat up with ticks and chiggers.
"It may have been better for you to get bit by a snake by the looks of you".

I used a H&R, "22 Special" break open revolver that held 7 shots, and had the factory gold plated front sight. The loading was standard pressure , 40 gr lrn

I started young, and accomplished some goals.

Now, some of my best fishing and hunting is done without rod, reel or firearm.

s

moooose102
March 30, 2009, 05:29 AM
for me, it has always been my dream to hunt a huge bull moose in alaska.

Hungry Seagull
March 30, 2009, 07:14 AM
Just a regular big black bear and a Kbar knife.

That will be the way I would like to go out of this world.

Yeesh. I dont do fantasy. Ive already blubbered like a coward hiding in big truck while a brownie snuffed around my wheels over in Mt Savage one night.

kanook
March 30, 2009, 08:34 AM
i got a pre-custer trapdoor. i want to hunt a buffalo with it. then i can say that i know for a fact that it was used to hunt buffalo.

jbkebert
March 30, 2009, 08:35 AM
Yeesh. I dont do fantasy. Ive already blubbered like a coward hiding in big truck while a brownie snuffed around my wheels over in Mt Savage one night.

Don't feel bad Seagull those girl scouts can be very dangerous around cookie season if they smell cash in your pockets.:D

Just fooling with you.

Mine is hunting elk with my 2 boys in WY and all of us bringing home a nice bull. After spending a couple weeks in the mountains enjoying the hell out of ourselves.

Marlin 45 carbine
March 30, 2009, 08:40 AM
takeing a big black chargeing African buffalo with a .458 mag. and eating a huge steak of it roasted over a campfire after quaffing 2-3 shots of whiskey.:D

dat2
April 8, 2009, 01:10 PM
hunting the complete flyway while the geese and ducks fly south. start hunting in Canada then hunt down through the states then down through Mexico down to Argentenia. :D
without a passport or hunting license would be an even better challange :neener:

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 8, 2009, 01:38 PM
shoot a alligator in a southern swamp with a .56-56 Spencer repeater

Now that's kinky! Coastal brownie or cape buff with a bow from the ground is about as good as it gets for me. The thrill will be in surviving.

Funderb
April 8, 2009, 01:45 PM
Well, my thoughts on primitive only season are a little extreme....

Stalking through the woods and finding a suitable bough over a game trail, waiting in anticipation for young buck to walk under..
You jump down with a roar and club the unsuspecting quarry with your heavy oak club, or butt of mosin, your choice..

The mosin helps because you can skewer said cleaned corpse and carry it vagabond style back to your camp where the gatherers have prepared an excellent leek, parsley, and salt brown sauce with the fat of last weeks prey.

JWF III
April 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
hunting the complete flyway while the geese and ducks fly south. start hunting in Canada then hunt down through the states

Always said that I would buy a yacht if I won the lottery and do this on the Atl. Flyway. Traveling down the intercoastal on my yacht.

I'd love to scull up to a large raft of Canvasback (on the Chesapeke Bay) and pull the trigger on a 4 ga. punt gun. I would have loved to been part of those Market Hunting days.

Wyman

drgrenthum
April 8, 2009, 06:30 PM
using a semi auto 50bmg to hunt hippo in africa. They are suppose to taste wonderful. Not much of a stalk though.

flyboy1788
April 10, 2009, 02:04 AM
mine is to dress up in a ghillie suit and kill a dear with a ka-bar.:D

Rembrandt
April 10, 2009, 02:00 PM
Flyboy....don't you mean "Deer"?

Mine is to go eyeball-to-eyeball taking on a charging Grizzly with a handgun.....to answer the nagging question who will blink first....and who dines out.

Thomas Garrett
April 10, 2009, 02:06 PM
See who's quicker. Me and my Springfield 45-70 trapdoor, or a Bull moose in heat.:D

yenchisks
April 10, 2009, 02:11 PM
brown bear,with a 06.rembrandt i'll take 3to1 odds on the bear;)

jim in Anchorage
April 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
"for me, it has always been my dream to hunt a huge bull moose in alaska."
Come on up in Sep. Bring cash.:evil:

jim in Anchorage
April 10, 2009, 09:06 PM
"See who's quicker. Me and my Springfield 45-70 trapdoor, or a Bull moose in heat."See above.

leathermanwave
April 11, 2009, 12:50 AM
I have always wanted to shoot a grouse in midflight with a handgun, in the head.

H&Hhunter
April 11, 2009, 04:55 PM
takeing a big black chargeing African buffalo with a .458 mag. and eating a huge steak of it roasted over a campfire after quaffing 2-3 shots of whiskey.

I've done that exact same thing only with a .470 NE. Glad I've experienced it and prefer to not have it happen again. Charges look like fun from the outside but in reality they are a bit horrifying.;)

remingtondude58
April 11, 2009, 08:22 PM
shoot a bear with a percussion cap revolver also to shoot birds in flight with a 22

CSA 357
April 11, 2009, 09:07 PM
big bear, bull elk, i have taken every thing i can here, would love to go hunt in a place where there is game i have never hunted, deer hog and turkey have kept me pretty bussy over the years, ill be to old to go soon, but i have had a woderfull time in the woods! csa

jim in Anchorage
April 11, 2009, 11:10 PM
Quote:
shoot a alligator in a southern swamp with a .56-56 Spencer repeater

Now that's kinky! Coastal brownie or cape buff with a bow from the ground is about as good as it gets for me. The thrill will be in surviving.
Dr. Tad, FKA PremiumSauces. WANT TO BUY: 1. Old/cheap Savage or Stephens rifle or action in .223/.222-sized bolt face, 2. Browning BL-22, 3. Revolvers (SA or DA) chambered in .45 Colt, from Freedom Arms, USFA, Colt, pre-lock S&W, or Taurus. I had always had a thing about the large rimfires. And swamps. And large reptiles. Therefore...

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 14, 2009, 07:54 PM
Addendum: I'm gonna modify/add a bit to my prior statement and say being holed up in a nice well-equipped cabin for a week of BC, Canada hunting, various species, with a bow & arrow. The kicker is that Denise Richards and Amanda Bynes are in the cabin with me, waiting for me in lingerie each evening. They have cooking skills to rival Emirils, and their voiceboxes are damaged, so they cannot speak.

snakeman
April 14, 2009, 08:05 PM
simply to shoot a good elk or axis deer

Big Daddy Grim
April 14, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have taken big bear in Alaska, big bull moose also Alaska, even went with my uncle and took a cape buffalo, but my hunt I hope to do some day and it would be a fantasy would just be to hunt with partners who have passed on and went to the happy hunting grounds. I have taken just about every game that north america has to offer and a few in other places but I would trade it all to hunt one more time with my grandfather, or my dad, or my brother I miss them every hunt.

Geno
April 14, 2009, 09:03 PM
For the past 24 years I have had this really awesome fantasy of actually getting my wife to go and hunt with me. Now there's a fantasy! Woooooooo weeeeeeee! Dang!! Hottie with a gun!!

Geno
(Formerly Doc2005)

Afy
April 15, 2009, 03:19 PM
Living a Jim Corbett adventure.

REDEYE
April 17, 2009, 12:32 PM
Almost any Boone & Crocket booker at 200 yards will do.

jim in Anchorage
April 17, 2009, 01:57 PM
and their voiceboxes are damaged, so they cannot speak
now that is some imagination.

Trailer
April 29, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hunting huge killer crocks with depth charges !!! A little chicken I guess ???????
Trailer

M'bogo
April 29, 2009, 02:52 AM
I would need a time machine as my oldest huntng fantasy would involve a much younger Harry Selby and Robert Ruark hissing over my shoulder - "Take him, the big buff on the left..."

M'bogo

If you enjoyed reading about "Your oldest hunting fantasy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!