Jarring of my cheek when shooting AK

PDA

DavidB2
March 30, 2009, 03:50 AM
Got out to the range to shoot my new WASR 10. It is a great gun, and was accurate out of the box with no sight adjustments. However, one thing that I noticed was that I can't really lay my cheek against the should stock wihout my check feeling like I got punched in the cheek from the spring action of the recoil. This is is one aspect of shooting semi-automatic rifles that I have noticed (both with my SKS and even my Mini14). Maybe I have extra sensitive sinuses. If I pressed my check extra hard against the should stock it wasnt' as bad; or if just keep my check from pressing against the stock; I felt no jarring; and was still able to shoot accurately. I just wandered if there was some type of cheek cushion for AKs? Or is there some aspect of special technique that i need to be aware of to avoid "cheek jarring from AK recoil"? Maybe no one else has noticed this jarring issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jarring of my cheek when shooting AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rubber_Duck
March 30, 2009, 03:54 AM
That's just how it is. My WASR-10 does the same thing, as if the recoiling bolt carrier is rattling the bones in your face.

heron
March 30, 2009, 10:32 AM
Brownells sells a cheek-pad kit that slips on over the stock; not too expensive.

aka108
March 30, 2009, 11:22 AM
Check out Blackhawk Industries. They make all types of cop and military stuff. They mfg a cheek pad that has layers of foam inside so you may adjust the amount of fill to best fit the pad to you. Cost about 25 bucks. Check their web site.

nalioth
March 30, 2009, 12:45 PM
The Kalashnikov was not designed with "Western-style" shooting in mind.

It was designed to be fired from the waist, alongside the rest of your platoon.

Funderb
March 30, 2009, 12:48 PM
Just send it to me, problem solv'd!

Cannonball888
March 30, 2009, 01:06 PM
My advice is to start drinking more beer and eat more fried foods. The layer of fat that will be on your face does wonders to cushion the stock.

Marcus5aurelius
March 30, 2009, 01:23 PM
I recommend you buy a .22 that will fit nicely into your purse. :neener:

DavidB2
March 31, 2009, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the advice on the cheek pad. I am going to invest in one of those and see if that limits some of the jarring. If not, I am sure that I can get used to it; as otherwise it is a fun gun to shoot.

pgeleven
March 31, 2009, 04:45 AM
the WASR kick isnt really all that bad, but i have noticed that if i pop off around 4 mags or more in one day i will get a nice yellow bruise on my shoulder. its built for durability, not comfort...

i agree with the cheek pad advice, try it out and spit back some feedback

Autopistola
March 31, 2009, 03:47 PM
On mine (with a wire folding stock) I added a UTG butt pad and used foam pipe insulation to wrap the wire. This helped with percieved recoil and added needed length.

I noticed the jarring worse when I had an SKS with a Tapco T6 stock. I masked around the top portion of the buttstock and sprayed on several layers of rubberized undercoating. It helped somewhat.

AK103K
March 31, 2009, 04:54 PM
It sounds like your not holding the rifle properly. When shouldered, the stock should be pulled tight into your shoulder "pocket", with your cheek firmly on the stock, just behind the top cover. Your nose should be touching the top cover, most likely along the left side.

If your not pulling it in tight and just lightly resting your cheek on some portion of the stock, it will beat you up, as will most other rifles if you dont shoulder them properly. This is especially true as you start to go up in caliber.

When you have it right, you wont notice anything but a slight push when you pull the trigger.

:rolleyes:

rcmodel
March 31, 2009, 05:04 PM
Get a Mosin-Nagant.
After you shoot it a while, you won't even think an AK kicks at all.

Be more like shooting a .22!

BTW: I had a Drill Sergent during 1964 Basic Training that could have cured your perceived recoil problem in no time flat! ;)

rc

Gryffydd
March 31, 2009, 05:07 PM

I wonder why they bothered putting sights on it then? ;)

jojo200517
March 31, 2009, 05:09 PM
I noticed my ak kinda beat me up a bit on my face when I had the original wood stock on it. After I got the collapsible rear stock the top of it seems to be lower and i don't rest my cheek all the way on it when I look down the iron sights. Then again I use the laser a lot now so I just put the red dot where I want to shoot.

As for recoil pads on the rear are you kidding me? I have seen a lot of those for sale but I never thought they were necessary. The wood stock had a steel plate on the butt of it and the polymer one now has a textured base. I guess I'm just used to it, recoil is present but a lot less than 12 gauge 00 or slugs.

LegalAlien
March 31, 2009, 09:34 PM
Do 400 to 500 rounds of 7.62x51 a day from an R1(FAL clone) for 3 weeks on end, as an 18yr old kid, in preparation for Army inter-company shooting competition.

By the start of the second week, you almost want to let your cheek 'free float' to against the recoil.

BUT I LOVED IT!!!!!!! :D Would not exchange it for any other shooting experience.

-v-
March 31, 2009, 10:19 PM
I think the suggestion of hold it in tight in the pocket of your shoulder, and rest your cheek close to the dust cover is your best bet. I shoot an CUGIR 7.62x39 with a '74 suppressor on it, and recoil can be described as .22-esque, and I am hardly a big guy either.

Also, there is some merit of shoot off a few tubes of 12ga then go to the AK. After the recoil of a shotgun, you'll hardly even notice the AK has any recoil. Now that sucker will punch you in the cheek close to no matter what you do, in my experience.

gun addict
March 31, 2009, 10:22 PM
i'm okay with shooting the Mosin all day, but the one gun that really gets me is the SVT40. Since i have almost no fat on me (exercise! Everyday i do situps till i poop my pant!) the recoil on the SVT40 seem to beat up my cheekbone. I was out shooting with a friend on day when he lets me shot his SVT, after a few round i called it a quit, it isn't the recoil on the shoulder that bothers me, but the cheek impact!

anyone else got the same experience?

chris in va
March 31, 2009, 10:48 PM
I find if I sit down at a table with my Saiga, it slaps my cheek pretty good. Standing up it's quite comfortable to shoot.

Dan Crocker
March 31, 2009, 10:54 PM
I wonder why they bothered putting sights on it then?

Exactly...

Hey DavidB2, do you need me to bring you your woo-woo and read you a bedtime story? QUIT BEING A BABY! :neener:

I'm kidding, mine does it too. Kind of annoying.

Ohio Gun Guy
March 31, 2009, 10:58 PM
Mine doesn't have sights.....

Just an engraving that says, "This end toward enemy"...............

"P.S. If you can read this, you're dead."

;););)

jpwilly
April 1, 2009, 02:24 AM
Odds are you have the slant muzzle brake IMO you need to change over to an inexpensive AK-74 style brake they work much better. I have a 6 Position stock on mine that is wrapped with pipe insulating foam. The rifle is cozy to shoot...check it out:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/rifle008-1.jpg

AK103K
April 1, 2009, 10:15 AM
I find if I sit down at a table with my Saiga, it slaps my cheek pretty good. Standing up it's quite comfortable to shoot.
Everything beats you up more at the bench, the shorter LOP combat and hunting stocked rifles even more so.

You really shouldnt be shooting off a bench anyway. Besides the additional thumping, your not learning anything, or developing the skills necessary to actually shoot.

When you shoot from a bench, your just shooting with the rifle. When you shoot from field positions, you and the rifle shoot together as one.

DavidB2
April 2, 2009, 02:15 AM
Well I followed the advice on placing my face closer to the receiver cover; with my nose touching it or almost touching. Totally different experience when I went out to the range today. I also stood up or held it free hand. I did not even notice the jarring today. I wonder if a recoil buffer that I have seen on several accessory website will help with some of the jarring? Anyone have any experience with Ak recoil buffers?

chris in va
April 2, 2009, 02:17 AM
You really shouldnt be shooting off a bench anyway

True, but I was sighting it in...kinda hard to do standing up.

heron
April 2, 2009, 10:23 AM
Don't bother with a recoil buffer; if your rifle is performing as it was designed to, it won't need one. If the bolt carrier slams the back of the receiver, you need a new spring, not a buffer.

AK103K
April 2, 2009, 11:26 AM
I agree, dont bother with the buffers. They usually just cause more headaches.

The true AK74 style brakes do make a difference in felt recoil. The slant brakes and most of the others, have little effect.

Learning to shoot from field positions will be a big benefit all around. You will be a lot more comfortable shooting the rifle, and will become a better overall shooter in the long run.

Art Eatman
April 2, 2009, 11:37 AM
Back when I was a kid, I did the final finish on a Bishop stock when I sporterized my old 1917. I read a good bit about stock fit before I tackled the job.

One important aspect is the angle of the comb as seen from above. It should be slightly tapered so that it slides AWAY from your cheek/jawbone during recoil. It's not a lot of angle. Maybe 1/4" of taper from pistol grip on back to the butt. Maybe even just 1/8". Been almost sixty years since that little project. :)

I'm not a masochist. "Original" doesn't mean squat, compared to the absence of pain.

H2O MAN
April 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Installing a J-Tac47 or similar device may help.
You may also want to consider a different but stock, I'm using
a Vltor receiver extension tube with a LMT SOPMOD but stock.
This is a very comfortable combination.

JImbothefiveth
April 2, 2009, 11:49 AM
After the recoil of a shotgun, you'll hardly even notice the AK has any recoil. You might have a flinch though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Jarring of my cheek when shooting AK" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!