How PC is YOUR Deer Camp?

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 30, 2009, 09:50 AM
OK, for years everyone shows up with turnbolts, with an occasional levergun, single shot, or 7400 or BAR.

This fall, here you come with an EBR to hunt with (SKS, AK, AR15, AR10, M14, FAL, G3, the usual suspects).

What happens?

If you enjoyed reading about "How PC is YOUR Deer Camp?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bang_bang
March 30, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'd get the "Cool beans" reply for sure. All of my hunting buddies know that I live those style of rifles and would love to see me rain lead on a deer. I mean, what's not fun about taking a semi-auto deer hunting.

MCgunner
March 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
It's my land, I do as I want. If you are my guest and choose a .223, I'll razz you about using a squirrel rifle, but other than that....:D I have hunted with my SKS, but I have better rifles for the job built by Remington and Savage arms.

MutinousDoug
March 30, 2009, 10:41 AM
Not withstanding I hunt the primitive season, as .224 is not a legal caliber to hunt any big game in Colo, there is no reason to bring my across-the-course gun to camp.

Deer Hunter
March 30, 2009, 11:04 AM
Saiga, AR, FAL, I hunt with all of them.

Never get anything but "Damn that looks cool"

And I usually am the best shot.

buck460XVR
March 30, 2009, 11:19 AM
If it's legal and it's accurate I don't see what the problem is........whether it's me or anyone else in camp. Deer camp is for good times and enjoying each others company.........no reason to spoil that by trashing legitimate guns.:rolleyes:

hardluk1
March 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
I have hunted for 40 years and only twice have i ever shot more than 1 round at a deer. Don't even understand the head game of spray'n bullets at deer and maybe other hunters. Doesn't matter what you use to hunt with just use the same respect for a clean kill and not game time at the range. I hunt with a bow ,shotgun ,blackpwder and centerfire and do shoot out to 400yards. Past that distance it is to hard to tell if the deer is worth shooting. Never seen any hunt clubs that you put up with a bullet happy hunter.

Bearhands
March 30, 2009, 02:54 PM
All of my hunting buddies know that I live those style of rifles and would love to see me rain lead on a deer.

Thats why I voted, "Major razzing and raised eyebrows"
Thankfully semi-auto's are not allowed in PA for hunting. I can't think of anything scarier than a "lead shower" from a high powered rifle.

freakshow10mm
March 30, 2009, 02:58 PM
I've hunted quite a bit with a semi auto rifle. I always got razzing until I shot 3 deer in 4 seconds from 100y away. All heart shots all died within 30 seconds.

DesmoDucRob
March 30, 2009, 03:00 PM
Most of the guys I know (at my camp) are hunters, and not shooters. They know their rifle is accurate, because they shot a deer with it " 'year before last" I've nearly died laughing, when my dad came out the camp with a bayonett attached for grins (evil brown rifle).

indoorsoccerfrea
March 30, 2009, 03:01 PM
freakshow...thats pretty impressive...did the remaining two bolt after you shot the first one? did you hit the on the run? any pics?

freakshow10mm
March 30, 2009, 03:14 PM
Nope. I was hunting in WI and used a suppressor. Shots were quiet but I was using standard velocity ammunition. First one fell the other two looked at it confused. The second one went down and the third one looked at it then took two steps and was shot. By the time I walked the 100y they were dead.

Deer Hunter
March 30, 2009, 06:54 PM
I can't think of anything scarier than a "lead shower" from a high powered rifle

You can't?

Because your sentence is scarier than a situation that is almost nonexistant.

I've seen guys go through 10 rounds from their bolt action remchester. They had to reload and keep firing as the deer either looked up, around, or trotted off.

And this wasn't big range. This was within 100 yards.

I'm more scared of the idiot who doesn't know the rifle, doesn't know how to shoot, and sighted in two years ago with box of $3 a shot ammo that he's not using anymore.

Or the ones that make "sound shots"

jim in Anchorage
March 30, 2009, 07:24 PM
I went with fair amount of razzing. I can hear the "have the machinegunner cover the perimeter" remarks now.

matrem
March 30, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have little doubt that "turn bolt" users were not considered "PC" years ago.
Rifles are rifles.EBRs belong in hunting exactly as much as ANY other semi-auto.

MCgunner
March 30, 2009, 07:47 PM
I went with fair amount of razzing. I can hear the "have the machinegunner cover the perimeter" remarks now.

Yeah, I can hear it now, "It's a buck! Quick, covering fire!" LOL

I've had to fire a second shot a couple of times in the 40+ years I've hunted deer. I've taken 'em from 350 yards in with one shot. I've shot 'em running and standing. I've got no use for firepower, accuracy for sure, but not firepower. I hunt with a single shot pistol a lot and I'm going to start using my Hawken. I'm sorta getting into that thing lately. We don't have a primitive weapons season, but I can think of only one deer or hog that I've shot on my place that was over 100 yards.

I put a 5 round mag on the SKS to make it a little easier to carry. On the whole, my Remington...oh, excuse me, Remchester...M7 is my favorite hunting rifle. But, my friends who hunt with me are welcome to bring what they wish so long as it's legal. It's my land, though, and I reserve the right to tease them mercilessly. :D Like, "Whazamater, blind? Whacha got that Ray Charles rifle for?"

CoRoMo
March 30, 2009, 07:51 PM
This fall, here you come with an EBR to hunt with (SKS, AK, AR15, AR10, M14, FAL, G3, the usual suspects).

What happens?

A trend is born among the members of the camp. In a year or two, everyone is hunting with a battle rifle.:evil:

matrem
March 30, 2009, 08:06 PM
And why didn't you add to the poll ?; I don't care what you think! I'm using what I feel "right" using!
Maybe you did,and I didn't grasp that?

Bearhands
March 30, 2009, 08:10 PM
I've seen guys go through 10 rounds from their bolt action remchester. They had to reload and keep firing as the deer either looked up, around, or trotted off. Isn't that statement the postlude to your next one? I'm more scared of the idiot who doesn't know the rifle, doesn't know how to shoot Obviously the guys you've seen are idiots who don't know their rifles and certainly don't know how to shoot them accurately.
Next time you're in the woods and hear semi-auto gunfire fairly close, tell us you don't "duck" or at least worry about which direction that fire is coming from?

And which particular sentence did you find particularly scary? I did not mean to scare anyone honest! I merely offered my experience to the original poster as requested.

JWF III
March 30, 2009, 08:18 PM
I voted for the run out of camp. But that is only if you tried to hunt with it, and couldn't deal with everybody laughing at you.

Now show up in the off season, on one of the weekends that many of us get together to shoot, you'll be in good standings. Everybody else will have theirs, and want to give yours a go.

Wyman

Deer Hunter
March 30, 2009, 08:41 PM
Next time you're in the woods and hear semi-auto gunfire fairly close, tell us you don't "duck" or at least worry about which direction that fire is coming from?

I hear semi-automatic fire in the woods here in East Texas occasionally. Mostly it's from a Pistol and someone who pulled off to a little dirt road to unload a few rounds. As for semi-automatic fire, it's really rare to hear it during deer season. When I do hear it, It is far off.

And which particular sentence did you find particularly scary?

Your particular view on the matter. I would like you to cite circumstances that would lead to a "lead shower" on a game animal.

Seeing as how I've known numerous hunters that use everything from ARs to AKs to SKSs to Remington autoloading rifles to semi auto shotguns for hunting. "Lead shower" didn't really apply to any of them. In fact, most were better shots and shot less than those who owned bolt actions.

I don't like other hunters judging someone for what he or she uses. It's offensive. It shouldn't be about what you use, but HOW you use it.

Example: This last season I shot one doe. I fired one shot from my FN FAL. The doe was ~90 yards away. I was using the cheapest Serbian softpoint off of Academy's shelf.

That same week, the same guy missed 6 times at four deer. All within 50 yards. All with his .270 WSM Browning bolt action.

"Lead Shower". Right.

Never generalize or make assumptions on the adroitness of a particular hunter based on his or her tool.

Bearhands
March 30, 2009, 08:55 PM
Your particular view on the matter. I would like you to cite circumstances that would lead to a "lead shower" on a game animal. you need to re-read the quote I posted and relax.
I'll re-post it for you. All of my hunting buddies know that I live those style of rifles and would love to see me rain lead on a deer. see, *I* didn't say it, just merely quoted it. "Lead Shower". Right.
I'd suggest you direct your ire to the man who posted "raining lead on a deer" not me.
And why not stick to the originally posted question... I did, and neither did I disparage semi-autos for hunting other than to say they are not legal in Pennsylvania for which I am glad for the reason stated. Chill out man. We're all allowed to have different opinions last time I checked.

Deer Hunter
March 30, 2009, 08:58 PM
I apologise if I came off as chastising. However,

Thankfully semi-auto's are not allowed in PA for hunting. I can't think of anything scarier than a "lead shower" from a high powered rifle.

To me, it sounds like you have somewhat of a problem with using them for hunting.

Just setting things straight.

Art Eatman
March 30, 2009, 09:13 PM
Stick with the topic and quit wandering around.

My camp is for mule deer, mostly. Lots of open country with the probability of longish shots. So, no .223 or 7.62x39. However, I don't know any hunters who'd think those would be useful cartridges, out here. I can see where somebody might do quite well with a scoped flat-top AR-10.

Bearhands
March 30, 2009, 09:14 PM
DeerHunter.... apology accepted :)

Ya know..... different parts of the country look at hunting in very different ways.... Here, we have thick woods, VERY rolling terrain and small fields compared to Texas' huge expanses... Having someone fire multiple fast-fire rounds at deer is not commonplace at all and if it's close range, it becomes concerning. That is why my post might sound like I have a problem with semi-auto hunting. Plus public hunting land is full of "2 day/yr" hunters who practice little and just want to go home with a kill.
I am at times amazed at all the different laws concerning hunting throughout the U.S. I guess it comes down to where you started hunting and/or currently hunt that forms our opinons.
Thanks again.

BH

ColeK
March 30, 2009, 09:25 PM
I think in my camp they would be mostly acceptance with a slight amount of hazing. 25 years ago or so several of us were shooting in CMP matches and it wasn't at all unusual for one of us to show up with a M1 or a M14 or a M1-A and no one ever said a word. The hazing would be about the noisy safeties or the pee shooting caliber.

Deer Hunter
March 30, 2009, 09:34 PM
Here, we have thick woods

Same here. Texas is a big state, lots of different terrain. I hunt in the thicket and pine forest areas of East Texas. We have a lot of forests with streams rolling through most of them. In East Texas, unless hunting on someone's pasteur, you will be taking mostly short shorts. I hunt in the woods mostly, so my shots are never over 100 yards.

JShirley
March 30, 2009, 11:30 PM
I have ambushed a "deer convoy" before, and fired on at least two deer on several occasions*. I can see occasion for quick repeat shots while hunting.

*with one or more moderators to witness the harvested deer

Bearhands, I might think that thick woods would lead to quick shots and a desire for repeaters. I know I've used fairly rapid (and by "fairly rapid", I mean my Mossberg 500 sounded like a semiauto) shots on running deer.

I've also used AR-15, HK-91, M1 Carbine, 1903, and Remington 700PSS while hunting. The HK-91 I only used once, because it was so cumbersome, a sharp stick would have been more useful. I took the PSS and an almost completely inappropriate round, the 180-grain Winchester SXT, because it was the only expanding .308 I could get my hands on at short notice...and I took the shot on a decent little buck the next day with the buttstock in the middle of my chest, firing one-handed*! My mojo was strong that year.

*the stand had little cover, and I was moving slowly so I wouldn't spook the buck. He ran about 35 meters, and dropped.

John

Bearhands
March 30, 2009, 11:58 PM
JShirley,
I get where you're comin' from.. but where I hunt, the opportunity to shoot at more than one deer during a particular season is not all that common, there are of course exceptions with hunters applying for multiple tags and at times, Buck and Doe seasons overlap. Get caught shooting more than one of the same sex w/out a special "permit/license" and it's deep Ca-Ca. The laws here seem to change every year. It gets very confusing.
The point I was trying to make w/ regard to heavily wooded hunting(smaller plots) is that there are just too many people on *state owned land that hunt for 2 days per year and practice maybe an hour before opening day. These are the scary types to which I referred.

*(pop density is about 277/sq mile in Pa, in Tx it's 91, Ga is 165)

So... back to the original post.... probably 75-80% or more of hunting camps around here would frown on someone bringing a semi-auto to Deer Camp just because it's illegal and punishable if carried, not because they're semi-autos.

bang_bang
March 31, 2009, 12:56 AM

Why are you hunting on my land again?

Ahh...so, if you dislike the fact that used the term "lead shower," be glad you're not on my land. :neener:

If I can use it, I'm going to. Sorry to hear about PA not allowing the cool rifles.

paintballdude902
March 31, 2009, 01:39 AM
i hunt with a bunch of good ol' boys here id probably get somethin along the lines of "look at all that plastic! was it made in china like my kids toys?" all in fun but thenm when i get the biggest deer id really start catching crap "too bad you had to buy that fancy plastic gun with 30 rounds just to hit it once"

jbkebert
March 31, 2009, 01:41 AM
About as advanced as our deer camp gets is front stuffers or single shot rifles. So yes we would give a fair amount of crap to the guy with a black rifle. No one would run them off or be pissed they might just get some heck all in good nature.

That being said just about every gun platform has had its roots as a military firearm. Lever action, bolt guns, even a sharps rifle got there start as once being state of the art military. The black rifles, ak's whatever are starting to gain some acceptance in the hunting world. I can't see why not. They are personally not my style but;they are every bit as able to take game as a bolt gun.

usmc1371
March 31, 2009, 08:31 AM
I would pack an ar10 for deer hunting in a heart beat. I have no doubt i would get some razzing but who cares its NO diffreant than packing simi remy 30-06. Leagle in oregon as long as the mag only holds 5 rounds, 223 is leagle for deer to but i don't much care for shooting varmint size rounds at deer.
I have a friend who elk hunts with a BAR 300 WM seems to kill elk exactly like my bolt 300 wm.
I probably get more crap for being a marine than what gun I carry, I fully intend to pack my cz 550 375 HnH this year in deer camp and it holds 6 rounds in the mag. (I won the rifle last summer in a pellet gun compition and its to nice to hide in the safe and not kill anything with).

I think How the hunter uses the rifle matters a lot more than what it looks like.

mbt2001
March 31, 2009, 09:11 AM
Depends on the camp...

Piece of advice though, IF you take your AK, get a 5rnd or 10 rnd short mag for it. We do raze folks about the Banana clip...

Anti EBR type camp story:

My old man and I went hunting with a "buddy" from work. This "buddy" was an ex-special-forces-marine-hunting-guide-park-ranger type. South Texas Hog hunting and Dove hunting. I showed up with a 12gauge beretta pin tail and an SKS along with my 4" .357 gp100. My old man was outfitted pretty much the same. I mean, in brush country the shots are close and the hogs don't usually get over 300 or so lbs. Anyway, the idiot's kid kept geeking out about the sks... Then the idiot started chiming in.

"SKS was designed to kill soldiers, it won't work on a hog. See, the bullets disintegrate when they hit creating a shaped charge wound channel.... You can't use select fire on the lease, I bet it is against the rules." Blah blah blah, every idiotic rhetorical statement you can imagine came out of this dude, while his Beavis impersonating kid kept giggling... "SKS... he he... Cooool. Hey, let me shoot it, can we stab your dog with the bayonet??? he he, that would be cooooool." twitch twitch

That was the LAST hunt I went on with fuds or whatever you want to call them.

JShirley
March 31, 2009, 09:52 AM
Bearhands, I understand your point. Different places. And I don't hunt with folks who wildly shoot up the countryside.

Hell, I could have taken at least twice as many deer in my first few years hunting as I actually did- I was actually too reluctant to shoot! A couple of years in the infantry cured that, by instilling confidence in my ability to "engage" ( ;) ) deer from other than the stereotypical perfect profile shot.

John

MCgunner
March 31, 2009, 11:05 AM
Well, there's gotta be a reason that the military doesn't issue ARs to snipers, instead they get "Remchesters" and lately, Barretts. Also, you don't see many ARs at benchrest matches.

Still, I hunt with handguns that are less powerful than 7.62x39 and less accurate or at least harder to shoot than an SKS or AK. My Contender is infinitely more accurate than my SKS, but not my revolvers. Depending on terrain, why worry about what the guy is using so long as he can safely and humanely use it, regardless of platform? It ain't the gun, it's the guy behind it. In the gun club I once belonged to, they sent a guy down here to talk to and evaluate me before they let me join. Now, they wanted my money, but they had standards. LOL Anyone who was a spray and pray moron didn't get in if they could figure him out. It didn't take much to convince that guy I was a conscientious sportsman when he saw some of my shooting trophies on the wall and my degree from A&M that says "Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences" in the corner. Guess he figured I was a dedicated sportsman to have wasted 4 years on a worthless degree in wildlife management. LOL!

Anyway, I think, JMHO, that there's probably more baffoons that shoot black rifles than "Remchesters". A guy comes into camp with an AR, you just gotta be suspicious. All my "mall ninja" alarms go off. If he comes into camp with a flintlock .58, I don't get those alarms. LOL Call me biased, don't care. The guy with the AR is going to have to prove to me he's a safe hunter that knows how to shoot. I'm going to figure the guy with the flintlock probably knows how to use it. And, if that AR guy is a kid (under 30 is a kid to me) and if he's from a city, well, more alarms. LOL! Now, I killed my first buck at age 11, but I was a country boy raised by country folk that had hunted their whole lives. I was shooting something nearly every day from the age of 6 when I got my "Red Rider". Now days, there ain't many situations like that, it seems. Some grow up thinkin' the proper way to hold a handgun is sideways. :rolleyes: Ain't sayin' he's going to be a boob, just saying until I find out for sure, I'm suspicious. That's what this poll is about, right? That's just how I, one old man, feels about it.

shaggy430
March 31, 2009, 11:17 AM
I don't think anyone in my deer camp would ever say "cool beans" to anything other than some lukewarm pintos.

MCgunner
March 31, 2009, 11:33 AM
Good lord.....WHAT?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 31, 2009, 11:34 AM
And why didn't you add to the poll ?; I don't care what you think! I'm using what I feel "right" using!
Maybe you did,and I didn't grasp that?

Different subject altogther. Regardless of what YOUR particular internal or external response might be to the actions and words of the other hunters in camp, this poll and thread addresses ONLY the reaction you would receive from others in camp to your bringing said armament, and covers the entire universe of possibilities (in a general way, at least).

Good lord.....WHAT?

Lol, +1. :eek: :scrutiny: :D

Deer Hunter
March 31, 2009, 11:43 AM
Post # 38 needs a translator.

MC, you and I grew up in a fairly simular way, it seems. I got my first buck at age 11 as well. And I hunted with my red rider and killed plenty of birds (If my grandmother only knew...), lizards, etc with it.

Although I'm a bit younger than you are. A big bit.

My experience with other hunters is that I have to watch the guys that have just the generic glossed up hunting rifle. Those are the ones I see violating safety rules.

The hunters with AKs, ARs, SKSs, M1s, as well as guns that look very well used, regardless of type, are the hunters that I have seen, in my own experience, to be the safest.

At my camp, I use EBRs. My dad pulls out his old SKS occasionally, which is what I used to kill my first deer.

3pairs12
March 31, 2009, 11:46 AM
Hardluk not all EBR's are .223 for one. For two some properties need a certian amount of deer taken out of it for heard quality. So if somebody wants to use his EBR with a silencer than more power to him. Not only that I don't think any of us on this board are spray and pray type hunters so lighten up a little.

MCgunner
March 31, 2009, 12:26 PM
Not only that I don't think any of us on this board are spray and pray type hunters so lighten up a little.

I'm not sure how well the net translates impressions, but I don't think, of the folks that post here a lot, I'd worry much about any of 'em regardless of what they're hunting with.

BTW, poster named "Caribou" uses mosins and such. Is that considered an "EBR"? I think of bolt milspec guns as just bolt milspec guns, myself, not really evil to look at. Some of 'em are amazingly accurate, the Mosins, the Swede Mausers in K98s, and such. I've been known to "bubba" a military bolt rifle, because I prefer optics on a rifle for hunting. :D

41magsnub
March 31, 2009, 12:47 PM
I'm one of the folks who is automatically suspicious of the new guy showing up with an EBR with a big magazine until I get to know them. If they seem cool about it and are not going start having 'Nam flashbacks lighting up a herd of deer then we are cool with it. If the guy shows up in a tactical vest or LBE with a full basic Infantry load out of magazines the eyebrows will definitely go up.

My biggest fear is coming across another guy like I experienced antelope hunting several years ago who needed 2 magazines out of a mini-14 at 150 yards to drop one with at least 5 hits and still had to do a finishing shot. It sounded like WWIII had started, or an A-Team episode with lots of shooting and no hitting (unless it was a tire). Had I had a safe shot to do so I would have put it out of its misery much earlier.

For me personally, I own a standard AR-15 and am not all that comfortable with the .223 round for big eastern MT mule deer hunting so I would never use it under normal circumstances. I keep threatening to take my garand out (even have the adjustable gas plug) but always end up deciding there will be a lot of walking and take a much lighter bolt gun instead. Someday I will use it just to say I shot something with it.

mbt2001
March 31, 2009, 02:05 PM
Honestly, I judge more by the knife than the gun.

http://www.knivesjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/knife.jpg

That gets a snicker... Southern hospitality says I have to be nice, but certainly can laugh later.

hardluk1
March 31, 2009, 03:17 PM
To much dam much coffee ,re read ,think it's cleaner now. Point is not many want a quick shot, silenced shooter, on a managed piece of property. That type is not a hunter, just a shooter. Don't care the gun type just the hunters ethics behind the hunt. A guy with a single shot can be just as bad. If on property with other people you do not need to shoot a silenced gun so know one can hear you if they are somewhere down range. If you are on a management program then you will be doing the job of thinning the herd all through the season and no one will feel they have to shoot 3 deer at a time. Most people need to look at the deer a while just to deside if it is what your look'n to take not just a deer, so shoot. I have shot deer at a close range and had other deer walk right up to the first and sniff it to see why it went to sleep at 200 yards in the middle of a dirt road. again no silincer needed if a second deer was to be take'n.

mbt2001
March 31, 2009, 05:16 PM
If someone wants to use a silencer, it ain't no different than if he likes silk boxers (provided it is legal), but imo it shouldn't make a bit of difference to anyone. Preference is preference.

CoRoMo
March 31, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thankfully freedom is allowed in Colorado for hunting. Semis are welcome.

Every time I'm in the woods and hear gunfire close by, I don't duck or worry about which direction that fire is coming from. I get ready to intercept fleeing game animals. If I can hear the gunshots, the bullets have already been stopped. Ducking at the sound of gunfire would be silly.:rolleyes: If you think the report will reach you before the bullet could, you don't know much about velocities.

Bearhands
March 31, 2009, 06:08 PM
Ducking at the sound of gunfire would be silly.

May be silly for the 1st shot, but maybe not for the 3rd, 4th and 5th ;)

CoRoMo
March 31, 2009, 06:12 PM
May be silly for the 1st shot, but maybe not for the 3rd, 4th and 5th

Are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th shots somehow traveling slower than their respective reports? Or are you able to foretell that another shot will be taken? Eating dirt after hearing gunfire is silly unless you are in a firefight.

frogomatic
March 31, 2009, 06:28 PM
to echo a previous poster...

we don't so much care what you use, how you use it is the important factor. It's the guy behind the trigger that I'm most concerned with, not what's at the end of his trigger finger. (so long as what's at the end of that finger is capable of performing the task at hand)

Bearhands
March 31, 2009, 06:36 PM
Are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th shots somehow traveling slower than their respective reports?:rolleyes: Ducking at the 1st shot probably means the trigger hasn't been pulled on the 3rd, 4th and 5th, thus no reports.

Apologies to the OP for this thread once again running off course.
how you use it is the important factor. It's the guy behind the trigger that I'm most concerned with ^--what he said.

HB
March 31, 2009, 08:02 PM
I don't judge by the gun much really. I have hunted with all sorts of people from every type of economic situation, city and country boys, etc. I can pretty much gauge if I want to hunt with them as soon as the gun is out of the case. My favorite hunting partner has a nice but well worn Remmington 870. Good gun handler and quick wits. And he hunts deer with a 6.8 AR. I've also hunted with a guy that had a $1800 Berreta Silver Pigeon (engraving, gold inlays, the whole deal). WORST gun handler I've ever seen. Needless to say, I don't hunt with him anymore...

In Missouri we can basically kill one buck with a gun, one with a bow, and unlimited does in the northern part of the state. I use a M94 for a woods gun, a Savage .243 for open areas, but I prefer a bow:D. I have hunted with my SKS before and lend it out for friends, but it weighs a ton and is about as accurate as the M94.

The above preferred hunting partner mostly drives deer out of thickets in his camp, so he has an AR with a low power scope. He killed three deer in 3 minutes last year! Downed the buck, then had two does run by. Doe one was shot at about 8 yards, doe two at about 50. So a quick semi-auto makes a difference around his area.

Now, I do judge a hunter by what he carrys:evil: While squirrel hunting earlier this year, I noticed my friends pack looked a little heavy. Asked him what was in it; only 40 rounds of ammo, 2 liters of water and rope! Apparently he expected too run into a trap range! I had about 5 shells, a lighter, and a pair of gloves in addition to a Camel Back...

HB

Carlos Cabeza
March 31, 2009, 08:15 PM
A couple of kids were buggin' the hell out of me ( I LOVE IT !) and I could tell it was miffin' their dad.

When we had it at the range shooting HP 45 gr. stuff at pumpkins it was pretty impressive. The kid's dad started calling me "sniper". When I realized what he was referring to I asked him to please not call me that.

It's MY camp so if you don't like it KICK ROCKS FUDD !:D J/K ! :neener:

I can say honestly, I have only taken it to deer camp to educate and stir up trouble !:evil:
It's not very practical.

Although, I participated in a deer drive once and the only people who shot an animal that afternoon were shooting semi- auto Rem 710's or something. It was in chest high sawgrass and I have never seen so many deer scramble at once ! Probably six or seven at a time.

The only trouble I get is from the local warden who checks to see that I know ( and he knows ;) ) that it has a restricted capacity magazine and has been glued PERMANENTLY ! so no questions arise from its legality. Also, using the proper ammunition.

TIMC
March 31, 2009, 11:07 PM
Since we hunt in a heavily pork populated area the opportunity for mass quantities of swine as target practice come frequently. My weapon of choice during the deer season is a Bushamster AR-10. While I can not remember the last time I fired more than one round when shooting at deer I have been know to bust a cap on 7-8 rounds rather quickly shooting at pigs that wonder out in the road. Trying to kill every pig we see is a strict rule of the land owner and I am more than happy to try. EBR's are not the oddity where we hunt, they are the norm!

lgbloader
March 31, 2009, 11:27 PM
Ever take a 375 RUM deer hunting? That will get you some funny looks.

LGB

MCgunner
April 1, 2009, 11:36 AM
I got teased in New Mexico by the locals for carrying a "cannon"...7mm rem mag, which I thought was pretty appropriate up there. Hmmm, if I'd have had a 375 anything, they'd have run me out of the state. LOL!

Now, I do judge a hunter by what he carrys While squirrel hunting earlier this year, I noticed my friends pack looked a little heavy. Asked him what was in it; only 40 rounds of ammo, 2 liters of water and rope! Apparently he expected too run into a trap range! I had about 5 shells, a lighter, and a pair of gloves in addition to a Camel Back...

Jeez, I think the last time I went squirrel hunting with a shotgun I was about 14. I only took it squirrel hunting then because shooting a running rabbit is a little harder with a .22 rifle. I can carry 50 rounds of .22 easier than 1 round of 12 gauge. LOL! I often carried more rounds so that if I got bored when the squirrels weren't out, I could find a spot to plink at something. Now days, i use mostly rimfire pistols for squirrel hunting, more fun.

HB
April 1, 2009, 07:57 PM
Jeez, I think the last time I went squirrel hunting with a shotgun I was about 14. I only took it squirrel hunting then because shooting a running rabbit is a little harder with a .22 rifle. I can carry 50 rounds of .22 easier than 1 round of 12 gauge. LOL! I often carried more rounds so that if I got bored when the squirrels weren't out, I could find a spot to plink at something. Now days, i use mostly rimfire pistols for squirrel hunting, more fun.

No doubt that rimfires are more fun, but this was a shotgun only zone (more or less 5000 acres stuck in suburban St. Louis). Once again 40 rounds of ammo:eek: I found this rather humorous... I cut him some slack though, he comes in handy on camping trips. He always brings too much, which translates into enough in case I forgot something :D.

HB

Deer Hunter
April 1, 2009, 08:27 PM
Exactly.

Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

On the other hand, I load my FAL mag with a box worth of Soft Points.

I just don't feel the need to have an un-full box of 20 hanging around my range-bag.

MCgunner
April 2, 2009, 09:38 AM
I'm guilty. I carry my contender topped up with ONE round. I have 9 on my wrist in a butt cuff. Where am I going to use 9 rounds DEER hunting? Bare in mind, I'm out there for the morning, not the week. LOL! But, the butt cuff makes for a fast reload. I've never needed a fast reload, I'm just sayin'.

Now, suburban St. Louis? I'd have 40 rounds, 15 of 'em being slug and buckshot for self defense. LOL! There are a few shotgun only wildlife management areas here, one up near Sommerville Lake I've hunted. I can relate to the restrictions.

leathermanwave
April 2, 2009, 11:37 AM
An Ar-10, M1A or Fal would be very comforting in case of a bear charging.

JShirley
April 2, 2009, 10:24 PM
Something that fired a larger round would be a lot more comforting if a (big) bear charged.

John

HB
April 2, 2009, 11:42 PM
Now, suburban St. Louis? I'd have 40 rounds, 15 of 'em being slug and buckshot for self defense. LOL!
Suburbs are pretty tame, but I live in the city so... Yes, we do have more than our fair share of things that go bump in the night! Lets see, last 3 years: Our car stolen, shooting 50ft from my back door, car broke into, drunk driver driving into my back yard (and taking out 35ft of fence), attempted break in... Exciting I guess? :rolleyes:

Now, I have hunted over by East St. Louis, Horseshoe Lake CA, which is apparently a pretty popular place to dump bodies! Luckily, all I found were pheasants and not gang bangers who no longer bang. On a similar note, I would/do carry a little extra ammo when I hunt in southern Missouri. It is the meth capital of the world after all.

I think the Missouri Board of Tourism may have a word with me :D

HB

If you enjoyed reading about "How PC is YOUR Deer Camp?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!