Browning Semi-Auto 22 Accuracy

PDA

hinton03
March 30, 2009, 09:30 AM
I have always wanted one of these neat little 22LR's, but am unsure of the accuracy of these rifles.

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Browning?

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Semi-Auto 22 Accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aka108
March 30, 2009, 10:14 AM
They are nice reliable rifles. Belgian most desireable followed by Japanese mfg and later on some rough copies were imported from China. I own the Japanese mfg. one. Best I can get is about 1 moa at 50 yards with a 3x7 Weaver rf scope. Loading thru the stock is sort of a PIA and you need to be careful not to loose the bullet stop when dissembled for cleaning. I have not tried premium ammo in it so accuracy may be a bit better with it but I'll never know. The bottom eject can put a few hot cases into the sleeve of along sleeved shirt. Not really a problem, just a occassional surprise.

Owen
March 30, 2009, 10:20 AM
which one? The Buckmark Carbine or the classic one with the tube magazine in the stock, and bottom ejection??

hinton03
March 30, 2009, 10:25 AM
aka108: Thanks for the info; it seems 1 MOA at 50 yards is suitable for the purpose of this rifle.

What mount did you use for the scope on your rifle? I saw Browning offers one for $58 bucks that uses a weaver style rail and both Burris and Leupold offer a one piece base for around $20.

Owen: The classic.

aka108
March 30, 2009, 10:31 AM
The scope base I used is from Weaver if my memory is decent. For rings I used some Simmons cheapies from Wally, 5 bucks a pair. Made in China and all that but never had a problem with them esp on a rimfire.

Ghost Tracker
March 30, 2009, 11:47 AM
You get .5" groups with bulk ammo at 50 yards with Browning ATD? Splendid!

hinton03
March 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
aaah! The loaded question.

ArmedBear
March 30, 2009, 01:35 PM
Saw video of Tom Knapp using one to shoot the lit end off a cigarette this morning on the History Channel (to demonstrate that Annie Oakley could really do that to Kaiser Wilhelm with her Marlin lever gun, as the history books describe).

He did it, no problem -- of course it wasn't in someone's mouth at the time, but the gun could hit the target.

I'd say they're accurate enough.:)

rcmodel
March 30, 2009, 01:57 PM
Ammo test set-up: 50 yards bench-rest:
Browning Standard .22 Auto
Tasco World Class 3-9x40
Browning scope base on barrel

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Browning.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/22Target1JPG.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/22Target2JPG.jpg

rc

hinton03
March 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
rcmodel: Super, a mini range report; doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks

ArmedBear
March 30, 2009, 02:14 PM
Interesting. Looks like it likes lighter bullets.

With a scope on the rifle, the HP ammo would probably have produced one-hole groups.:p

rcmodel
March 30, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hey! I really think it would do better with an AO scope on it.

The 3x-9x Tasco has a little parallax at 50 yards, and I'm sure I didn't totally control it while shooting those groups.

This does show you the importance of trying as many different brands of ammo as you can find when rifle testing though.

The Remington bulk-pack did best that time around, but the next batch I bought had terrible performance and wouldn't even begin to group.

rc

ArmedBear
March 30, 2009, 02:46 PM
The Remington bulk-pack did best that time around, but the next batch I bought had terrible performance and wouldn't even begin to group.

Maybe the first pack was put together when someone slipped and dropped a bunch of Eleys on the plant floor.:D

t george
March 30, 2009, 02:47 PM
they are plenty accurate... i love my belgian its a fun gun to hunt rabbits with irons! i love it!

FlyinBryan
March 30, 2009, 04:05 PM
thats a pretty little rifle rc!

my uncle has one, and has had it as long as i can remember (40 years or so)

Highland Ranger
March 30, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have a Japanese one in stainless with the grey sythetic stock and a Nikon Prostaff scope.

Love it. Tack driver. Makes the steel spin at 50 yards.

You won't be disappointed - get one!

aka108
March 30, 2009, 06:33 PM
A little correction on the acuracy I stated in #2 above. Not quite 1 moa. Wasn't thinking quite right. It will keep its shots inside a 3/4 inch target paster at 50 yds which is a litle greater in size than 1 moa at 50. This is with Eley Sport and similar with Aguila std vel.

Highland Ranger
March 30, 2009, 09:09 PM
Pics from a few years ago:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32935&d=1135357533

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32936&d=1135357561

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32937&d=1135357573

hinton03
March 31, 2009, 03:45 AM
Highland Ranger: I was looking at the same rifle, except with octagonal barrel.

rangerruck
March 31, 2009, 04:03 AM
is it an lr only model or can it fire shorts? becuase if so , try the cci short hollow points, fantastically accurate. another interesting round would be the Aguila sss sniper 60 grainers, it is a long rifle bullet, but it is masssive. I would be interested to see if yours can handle them, or will they keyhole.

rcmodel
March 31, 2009, 01:09 PM
Target #8 in post #9 is Aguila SSS 60 grain load.
They were showing slight key-holing and one ended up clear off the paper.

rc

SwampWolf
March 31, 2009, 02:21 PM
The little Browning is a petite, light, sweet handling, little carbine; the very piece de resistance of this genre of .22RF sporting rifles. I would never put a scope on mine because I think it seriously detracts from the very quality I bought it for: its superb handling. But then, my lever-action carbines don't wear scopes for the same reason...:)

JohnBT
March 31, 2009, 04:20 PM
If you do, make sure it goes on the barrel, not the receiver. Takedown rifles can be funny that way.

"Browning scope base on barrel" <= smart man

I finally gave up and gave in, and put a little Weaver on my '63 Mountie. My eyes never were any good and now they're worse.

John

Bill2e
March 31, 2009, 04:38 PM
Mine is more accurate than I am.

I shoot it woth Irons, I had a scope on it for a while. Bought the mount from midways & the rings fron gander. The scope kept slipping off the mount. So I went back to IRONS. I can get a bolt action if I want a scope for a 22.

What mount did you use for the scope on your rifle? I saw Browning offers one for $58 bucks that uses a weaver style rail and both Burris and Leupold offer a one piece base for around $20.

I used the burris, with 22 dove tails rings from gander. It did not work out well for me, so they sit in the box. I'll buy the one from browning if I decide to scope it again.

rcmodel
March 31, 2009, 04:44 PM
Scope a Browning .22? :what:

Well, it's a dirty job, but somebody had to do it if you wanted an accuracy & ammo test like I posted above! :neener:

What I really want is an old 3/4" tube Browning or Redfield .22 scope to put on mine.

But those things cost way more now then the rifle did when I bought it 30 years ago. If you could even find a nice one.

rc

Gordon
March 31, 2009, 07:38 PM
I have a cased Belgian with the factory 4x Redfield Frontier scope on it with the factory barrel mount. Last time I fired it , a few years back, it still was sighted in for the RWS sub sonic hollow points which produced right at 1" at 50 yards from sandbags. My Marlin 39 does better and my bolt Anshutzs and Rem Target Master A LOT better. These are excellent all arond .22 Autoloaders but never were consider stellar accurate.

Bill B.
April 1, 2009, 02:15 AM
Saw video of Tom Knapp using one to shoot the lit end off a cigarette this morning on the History Channel (to demonstrate that Annie Oakley could really do that to Kaiser Wilhelm with her Marlin lever gun, as the history books describe).

He did it, no problem -- of course it wasn't in someone's mouth at the time, but the gun could hit the target.

I'd say they're accurate enough.

Unless Tom Knapp has changed .22's he shoots a Bruno and it's in .22 Mag. It does look like a bottom eject Browning.

hinton03
April 1, 2009, 02:25 AM
rcmodel: Saw one of those Redfields on eBay yesterday for $275.

Dr.Rob
April 1, 2009, 02:43 PM
I cannot COUNT the number of times I have spent all day blasting pop cans with Mom's Browning , only to realize I forgot to flip up the rear sight. Hers is a grade 1, made at FN in the 60's--dad swore it cost a month's pay. Sweet little waspish rifle. I don't think I have ever really shot it at paper to 'group' it, just know I don't miss many pop cans at 50 yards.

hinton03
April 2, 2009, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all the input. Pulled the trigger on the rifle below on Gun Broker yesterday. Supposed to be as close to new as you can get and even comes with my scope of choice.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/126164000/126164662/pix110092625.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/126164000/126164662/pix110092703.jpg

Gordon
April 2, 2009, 01:42 AM
FYI the redfield and the Browning factory scopes are the same.That gun has the factory Redfield cantilever scope mount too. BTW they will fit in a Browning factory hard case, which you can find once in a while on E bay.
Beautiful gun BTW!

22-rimfire
April 2, 2009, 10:28 AM
That is a great rig. I prefer a 4x for a fast pointing and shooting little 22 semi-auto. You chose well.

I don't buy rifles like this to sit at the bench at the range all day long punching holes in paper targets. They are meant to be fun. I would be interested to hear how it shoots with a couple ammo types; maybe Federal 510 and some Wolf Match Target.

CZguy
April 2, 2009, 11:32 AM
That is a great rig. I prefer a 4x for a fast pointing and shooting little 22 semi-auto. You chose well.

I agree with you, except for mounting a scope. These are fast handling nimble little rifles that are (to me) much more fun with iron sights.

rcmodel
April 2, 2009, 01:06 PM
When you get too old & blind to see iron sights, you might change your mind.

I know I did!

rc

blacksmithsc
April 2, 2009, 02:28 PM
For the three that I've owned, I tend to try different ammo more from the aspect of how it cycles the rifle. Here's kind of my experience with regard to that:

Japanese ATD - very ammo picky, would only cycle one or two brands of HV ammo, liked CCI mini mags the best.

Mid 60's Belgian ATD - This one will cycle any HV ammo put in it.

Late 50's Belgian Wheelsight ATD - This one is my favorite. So far I've tried CCI mini mags, Remington HV, and Winchester Wildcats. It has zero issues with the wildcats, a few issues with the Remington's, and more issues with the CCI's.

To me these are plinking and small game rifles. I've killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with mine. They've always seemed accurate enough for that.

hinton03
April 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
22-rimfire: I am a 4X scope guy. My eyes are to the point where I have a hard time with iron sights, but I killed a lot of game with unscoped rifles in my youth.

I even have a 4X on my 223 calling rifle and have no problems shooting 2" groups at 200 yards.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=91958&d=1233415367

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=91960&d=1233415409

JImbothefiveth
April 2, 2009, 02:58 PM
I like 9 or higher scopes. No, I don't shoot from a bench.

Have you shot it yet? If so, how reliable?

CZguy
April 2, 2009, 05:33 PM
hinton03, and rcmodel,

I'm fifty six and have started installing peep sights on many of my rifles. A scope just changes the look, feel, and balance in my view.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/CZpeepsight.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Semi-Auto 22 Accuracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!