A/O for 10/22 Hunting Scope?

PDA

bratch
March 30, 2009, 10:56 AM
I'm building a 10/22 for hunting, plinking, and something for the wife to play with. I'm looking at the Weaver rimfire lineup either this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=734016

or this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=771270

Is the A/O worthwhile on a hunting rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "A/O for 10/22 Hunting Scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ghost Tracker
March 30, 2009, 11:42 AM
Biggest reason to have AO on a rimfire is because the parallax on most fixed-objective (centerfire) scopes is 100 yards. Your two examples are both designated Rimfire scopes with a 50 yard fixed-objective. They'll (either one) work like a charm. No AO necessary in this case. Enjoy shooting!

ArmedBear
March 30, 2009, 11:50 AM
The drop and velocity loss of a .22 past 100 yards pretty much kills any need for AO on a .22LR hunting rifle.

.22WMR and .17HMR, sure, but not .22LR.:)

Of course, when you're hunting, you probably don't have time to screw with some dubious extra scope adjustment anyway, so I'd just get a 100 yard scope for the magnums, even, and be done with it -- save the weight, complication, and fiddling.

MCgunner
March 30, 2009, 11:50 AM
I don't have a problem with the 100 yard parallax regular rifle scopes on rimfires, personally. 50 yard zero parallax is perfect, of course. AO is for long range varmint rifles shooting small targets at 500 yards and such. I don't sweat the parallax thing on rimfires or big game rifles.

Modern Weaver scopes are solid values, very rugged, decent optics. I have a 2x10x40 KV on my .308 I really like. I'd get the first one, 2.5x7. No need for more power. I keep my .22 scopes on minimum power, even the Bushnell 1.5x4.5 I have on one of 'em. I'll zoom for bench resting, but for plinking or hunting, the lower power is my first option, zoom if needed.

If you enjoyed reading about "A/O for 10/22 Hunting Scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!