CTD stripper wont work in Romanina SKS

PDA

jkcal436
March 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
Finally went out and shot my Romanian SKS! For a novice, I was making a 10" group at 120 yards!

I bought a pack of the stripper clips from Cheaper Than Dirt, but they would not go in. There are a couple "barbs" on each side that keeps them from going through the guide.

Have you all had similiar experiece? I search for this topic before posting. Sorry if this has been covered before.

If you enjoyed reading about "CTD stripper wont work in Romanina SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
March 30, 2009, 02:33 PM
The 'barbs' on the sides of the clip keep it from going too far into the magazine.

I'm not surprised the CTD could screw up a SKS clip.

Samco Global http://samcoglobal.com/Ammunition.html has 7.62x39 on clips, good clips. The ammo is corrosive, but is accurate (2MOA from my SKS) and hot.

I'm working on my 2nd case with no problems. BSW

jkcal436
March 31, 2009, 04:54 PM
In the mean time, I am sitting on 20 stripper clips. Can I grind off those barbs? And if so, which ones?

Hoppy590
March 31, 2009, 05:00 PM
id vote just buy more clips.

grinding down junk, just leaves you with slightly less junk

you do know that the clip itself doesnt go all the way into the rifle. in only goes in a little, then you slide the rounds down into the rifle.

dont know if maybe your used to en-bloc rifles like the M1

Marcus5aurelius
March 31, 2009, 05:08 PM
I've had the same problem with my Mosin Nagant stripper clips. I tried the barbed ones and it didn't work then I bought a smoother no cut design and nothing still. I tried all the techniques that people show online and still no go. I have no idea how anyone could load theirs during war, or why they can't reproduce reliable ones after the fact. :mad:

rcmodel
March 31, 2009, 05:12 PM
you do know that the clip itself doesnt go all the way into the rifle. in only goes in a little, then you slide the rounds down into the rifle.+1
It sounds like you don't fully understand the concept of how stripper clips work.

If you grind the barbs off, there is nothing to hold the clip up out of the rifles magazine while you push the ammo out with your thumb.

rc

jkcal436
March 31, 2009, 05:47 PM
I'm all for buying more clips...cant afford $200 worth of ammo attached to them. Anybody got a link to some that work?

jkcal436
March 31, 2009, 05:56 PM
I watched some videos online and I think I am doing it wrong.
...back to the range!!!

Hoppy590
March 31, 2009, 06:13 PM
haha ya, the clip is just meant to sit in the slot cut out of the bolt, then you push the rounds down into the magazine, stripping them off the clip. remove the clip, and charge the bolt.

i get the feeling you were trying to force the metal clip itself down into the magazine, like you would an M1 Garand or Steyr M1895

jkcal436
March 31, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hoppy you win! You are right!

WardenWolf
March 31, 2009, 06:41 PM
Well, you could have just as easily been right. Stripper clips are unpredictable. Even among original military stripper clips, they may not be interchangeable between nations because the cutout varies slightly, as does the stamping procedure. One person may report the batch of stripper clips he got works perfectly, and the next person may scream "Junk! They don't work!". The trick is to look for reviews saying they worked with guns from your nation of manufacture.

If you enjoyed reading about "CTD stripper wont work in Romanina SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!