To ensure a consistent drop .......

PDA

P95Carry
October 9, 2003, 09:09 PM
No - not hanging!! :p

Powder hoppers ...... quite some time ago I read a discussion where various recommendations were made to ensure good consistent drop even as powder level gets low.

IIRC it was a sorta disk to sit over the powder ... to i guess add a tad of weight and so keep the flow better at lower levels.

Anyone got thoughts here?? Type of device that works best etc? As ever, just lookin for that ''edge'' for consistency.

If you enjoyed reading about "To ensure a consistent drop ......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HSMITH
October 9, 2003, 09:51 PM
Chris, what kind of measure are you using? Take a look at the Redding, OR use short cut and ball powders

P95Carry
October 9, 2003, 10:06 PM
HSMITH .. I am thinking primarily of my Hornady ... ya know the one with the circular and tall clear hopper (red paint body)..... and infinitely variable insert in the rotation block.

I only use this one for rifle ... handgun being an auto measure deal.

I do use pretty good flowing powders .. Vihtavuori for example . N-140 and N-133 ..... also still use (it's my age!!) .... Reloader 7!!

This is really just an interest thing to see if i can feel more confident about the drops at lower powder levels .. not wanting to have to top up every time it's under half ways down!! Or even take up time doing check weighings too often.

swifter
October 10, 2003, 12:09 AM
Try a fender washer that will just fit inside the hopper, with a 7/8-1" center hole. Cheapest baffle going.:D Also, practice operation, striving for smooth and consistant.

Tom

HSMITH
October 10, 2003, 08:23 AM
Chris, swifter hit on the solution. A baffle will do worlds more good than a weight, it does it by limiting the weight of the powder filling the charge chamber. A weight on top of the powder would only accentuate the variations. A baffle will increase the range of useable charges to the whole hopper since weight can't vary until the powder level is below the baffle.

P95Carry
October 10, 2003, 09:15 AM
Hmmm .. fender washer sounds a possible but .. HSMITH ... I think you have hit the nail ...... my fuzzy memory suggests this was indeed what I had remembered . but ......

What I do not recollect is the design thereof ... what works best and from what it is made etc.

Anyone have a working design to suggest? That is to avoid me the angst of having to spend ages on experiment!! (Lazy sob here!) :)

Poodleshooter
October 10, 2003, 02:59 PM
I use a 3 liter soda bottle cap in my lee perfect powder measure. I cut chunks out of the sides of the cap and set it in the bottom of the measure. Powder flow around and under it, and doesn't weigh down on the center of the powder column as it goes into the measure.

Black Snowman
October 10, 2003, 04:48 PM
My baffle is cheaper. Cut up ammo box. But I'm upgrading to cut up laundry detergent scoops :D Baffles made my Lee Deluxe Auto Disk and Perfect Powder Measure roughly 10x more accurate (went from +-1.0 grain variance to +-0.1 grain variance).

Edit - Doh! PoodleShooter beat me to it!

P95Carry
October 10, 2003, 11:17 PM
All input much appreciated ...

Hey Poodle ... did you used to post on the ''reloadbench'' forum ever .. seem to remember your nick!

Sunray
October 11, 2003, 01:43 AM
Nope. Just weigh every 10th load. You should do this even if the hopper is jam packed full. Powder throwers are unreliable to start with so weighing every 10th is just good QC.

Poodleshooter
October 13, 2003, 06:01 PM
Hey Poodle ... did you used to post on the ''reloadbench'' forum ever .. seem to remember your nick!
I've posted on TFL, loadyourown.com,assaultweb, arfcom,glocktalk, I moderate on gunsnet, and have posted possibly once or twice on reloadbench,but to be honest I can't even remember if I'm registered there. I'm just plain running out of time to post! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "To ensure a consistent drop ......." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!