mystery pistol

PDA

peter.hall07@yahoo.com
March 31, 2009, 11:34 PM
can some one identify this pistol, the only markings i could find were a "R" and a serial #3839 thanks

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu230/peterchall/DSCN2191.jpg

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu230/peterchall/DSCN2190.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "mystery pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Duke of Doubt
April 1, 2009, 12:08 AM
It's a revolver.

peter.hall07@yahoo.com
April 1, 2009, 12:47 AM
thanks dude you helped alot

Koos Custodiet
April 1, 2009, 12:51 AM
A revolver is in fact a pistol, it's just not a "semi-automatic pistol".

Looks like Zhuk #653 on page 103 -- Connecticut Arms Company, Norfolk, Connecticut. .28 Rimfire. "These guns, which fired special cartridges with the priming compound in a hemispherical indentation in the base, were patented by Stephen Wood in 1864. Cartridges were inserted into the chambers from the front, the hammer-nose striking the lower part of the priming chamber obliquely. Spent cases are ejected with a pivoting lever on the right side of the frame beneath the cylinder" (yours is missing).

peter.hall07@yahoo.com
April 1, 2009, 01:04 AM
now thats a good answer, thanks what should i look for to confirm your idea?

2RCO
April 1, 2009, 01:17 AM
It's some sort of patent infringement on a S&W 1st model.

I do not believe it is a Smith Though hammer and sideplate are wrong.

There were many of them Take a pic of the top of the barrel.

peter.hall07@yahoo.com
April 1, 2009, 01:35 AM
does this help

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu230/peterchall/DSCN2198.jpg[/IMG]

peter.hall07@yahoo.com
April 1, 2009, 01:54 AM
does any one have an idea of it's worth

Radagast
April 1, 2009, 07:44 AM
Not Much. Quoting Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Arms and Their Values:
Connecticut Arms Co. Norfolk Connecticut, Cup Primed, Front Loading Revolver. Made mid 1860s. Total quantity estimated at least 2700.
28 caliber cup primed cartridge. Six shot. 3" octagonal barrel, Bras frame;silver painted finish, Steel parts blued. Walnut grips. Square butt. Barrel marked CONN. ARMS CO. NORFOLK CONN. with single line 1864 patent dates on cylinder. This front loading revolver features a hook type ejector on the right side of the frame. It is one of the various handguns made which attempted to circumvent the Smith & Wesson controlled bored through cylinder of Rollin White.

Values: Good: $250, Fine $650.
--------------------------------

Your gun is incomplete, lacking the extractor and appears to have been painted in the past, so I wouldn't rate it as good.

007BondJamesBond007
April 1, 2009, 09:34 AM
Nice piece I would mount in a shadow box with a brass plate with a little text of history about it.

As for CCW I would get somthing more modern. joking

desidog
April 1, 2009, 12:44 PM
Is that brass/bronze under the lacquer? or is it just the pictures giving it that hue? Based on Radagast's $ #'s, i'd try to strip the lacquer off, and seeing if you can polish it up. Good for a weekend project.

peter.hall07@yahoo.com
April 1, 2009, 05:51 PM
it might, what should i use to strip it off and polish?

BADSBSNF81
April 2, 2009, 10:00 PM
Try Nevr-Dull, Flitz or Simichrome. 0000 fine steel wool and oil might also work.

Sunray
April 4, 2009, 11:43 PM
Please reduce the size of your pictures.
Don't know what it is for sure, but it looks like an Iver Johnson, H&A, H&R or the like pocket pistol that some twit painted to cover the rust. It's not worth much in that condition. No collector value at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "mystery pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!