No primers and no Ammo

PDA

LCTitan
April 1, 2009, 06:19 PM
Anyone check lately with the online vendors. Not only are there no primers there is no Ammo as well. What the heck is going on? This can't be Obama. He's to busy making speeches to do anything like this. Trying to find anything with a SP primer and S&W 40 180 fmj is just about impossible.:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "No primers and no Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve H
April 1, 2009, 06:25 PM
Speer, Federal and Winchester all claim that their primers are going into loaded ammo. Question is where are they putting the loaded ammo. I have had 3 distributors tell me not eo expect any primers on store shelves till next year.......

jcwit
April 1, 2009, 06:25 PM
Check the thread Primers, Primers.

Or call the mfg. like I did.

I contacted Winchester yesterday 3-31-09 at about 2:30 PM eastern time and they informed me that some primers are being shipped and others are going to loaded ammo. Primer lines are running 24/7 full bore.

rdhood
April 1, 2009, 06:50 PM
I have had better luck getting primers at my local gun shop than online at Wideners,Midway or Powder Valley.
My local shop has had a regular supply of CCI primers for about a month

redneck2
April 1, 2009, 06:53 PM
You could read the other half dozen or so threads that are currently running and they will spell it out.

HK G3
April 1, 2009, 08:21 PM
Would it be possible to get together with some local reloaders and put in for a HUGE mass order of primers? Would any of the manufacturers work to fill such an order, or is that just not an option?

1911user
April 1, 2009, 08:41 PM
Would it be possible to get together with some local reloaders and put in for a HUGE mass order of primers? Would any of the manufacturers work to fill such an order, or is that just not an option?

Regular distributors and stores have big orders at the primer makers already. They aren't getting filled on time so why should a manufacturer care about your one order? Unless you are talking tens of millions of primers in one order, it's not that large...

EDIT: I don't mean to be insensitive, but I do have a problem sugar-coating the truth. It sucks if you need to buy primers now. If you want primers now, you have to get lucky or have some "pull" with the manufacturer. Average reloaders and small shops don't have any pull at this time. Primers show up sporadically at the online places but don't last too long. A few weeks ago, I watched half a million primers sell out (at an online site) in 4 hours.

rickomatic
April 1, 2009, 10:56 PM
Anyone check lately in the last 6 months with the online vendors. Not only are there no primers there is no Ammo as well. What the heck is going on?

There..I fixed it. Welcome to the madness. This has been going on for a long time now. And it accelerated exponentially after the November election. While "the one" may not have overtly made any threats to the RKBA, he and his minions sure have sent some signals. Thus the shortage. Everyone is panicking.

gbw
April 2, 2009, 10:05 AM
This has happened before, about 15 years ago iirc. Mass panic and buying, shortages of powder and especially primers. I can't recall the exact provocation back then.

Anyway, I and everyone else I know who lived through that time has since been slowly building up component supplies as finances allowed during good times, and we are fine - enough for many 10s of thousands of rounds. This isn't any SHTF nonsense, it's just so we have what we need to keep shooting, to avoid anxiety, and to keep prices of our ammo very low.

So learn the lesson, and when this panic passes and things are more normal, slowly begin to build yourself a stockpile.

mp43sniper
April 2, 2009, 05:29 PM
I am finding as much as I can afford at local shops WHICH ARE BEING RESTOCKED although a little at a time. They are also keeping quiet about the new supplies after telling me it's impossible to get anything as recently as 2 weeks ago. Now I can buy any size CCI primer I want.

Since I've recently started purchasing reloading supplies, I've picked up 7k LR and 1k ea of SR, LP, SP. I can tell you where there's at least 20k of LR available at a couple shops in the area (put together). I could also bring home probably 3k of ea of the others.

I'm not ready to say supplies are coming back but if you stick with it you'll get what you need. Oh, and trust me, there are more shops around you than you might think.

Craig

mp43sniper
April 2, 2009, 05:32 PM
I am finding as much as I can afford at local shops WHICH ARE BEING RESTOCKED although a little at a time. They are also keeping quiet about the new supplies after telling me it's impossible to get anything as recently as 2 weeks ago. Now I can buy any size CCI primer I want.

Since I've recently started purchasing reloading supplies, I've picked up 7k LR and 1k ea of SR, LP, SP. I can tell you where there's at least 20k of LR available at a couple shops in the area (put together). I could also bring home probably 3k of ea of the others.

I'm not ready to say supplies are coming back but if you stick with it you'll get what you need. Oh, and trust me, there are more shops around you than you might think.

Craig

rcmodel
April 2, 2009, 05:42 PM
I think the Mexican Drug Cartels are buying it all up in preparation for a full scale U.S. invasion.

Sleeper cells are already here in large numbers in all population centers, working as cooks, maids, nannies, & roofers.

Once they have all of our primers & ammo bought up, they can proceed without firing a shot!

:D :neener:

Now excuse me. I have to run to the store and get another roll of tin-foil for my hat.

rc

krs
April 3, 2009, 01:24 PM
Sleeper cells are already here in large numbers in all population centers, working as cooks, maids, nannies, & roofers.

You forgot the gangbangers. They're assigned to open the prisons at the start of the reclamation (in which Mexicans reclaim anyplace where any latino including the 16th century Spaniards ever set foot as their rightful homeland. This includes such places as Wyoming, Colorado and all points south)

"People of Spanish heritage have lived in what is now the United States since the 16th century. The Spanish established St. Augustine, Florida in 1565, and Santa Fe, New Mexico around 1609. Spain ruled much of what is now the southwestern United States, as well as Central and South America, until the middle of the l9th century. After Mexico won independence from Spain in 1821, the portions of the Spanish territory in the United States fell under Mexican hegemony. Texas won its independence from Mexico in 1836, and joined the United States in 1845. The remaining Mexican territory was ceded to the United States in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of 1848, at the conclusion of the war with Mexico. The treaty brought the United States land that later became the states of Arizona, California, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and parts of Colorado and Wyoming. The former Mexican citizens in these areas became citizens of the United States and created the core of the nation's Hispanic population. Individuals of Mexican descent still comprise a large portion of the population in these areas".

They will disavow the Treaty of Guadelupe Hidalgo as a perpetrated fraud and reestablish the status quo before 1848.

Once everything is settled down again there'll be primers on the shelves for everyone. Be patient.

RC, you might as well start your adjustment now by saying that the tinfoil is for your sombrero, not for your hat.

Crazy4nitro
April 3, 2009, 01:36 PM
Primers and Cast Bullets are Falling off the Shelf here at my Local Dealers in Kentucky.
Lead Bullets are $35 PER 500 AND Primers are $28 a 1000 and $34 at the other for Winchester or CCI.

I jumped on Wolf Primers for $90 a Case (5000) and have since I load "Plinkers" with Wolf and I Save the Winchesters for the Ammo I Build for "Serious Social Intercourse".

'Nitro

GregZ
April 3, 2009, 01:49 PM
I just left The Reloaders Bench in Mt Juliet, TN. I bought 1k CCI primers for 5.56mm. They had several boxes of those. They also had several other primers available. Sorry i did not pay close attention to what they were. I went in for specific stuff on my lunch hour and got out. They also has some powders however there were not fully stocked. appeard to have quite a bit of loaded ammo but out of .380.

Lone_Gunman
April 3, 2009, 01:54 PM
Maybe Obama has told the ammo manufacturers to quit selling to the public.

Clarence
April 3, 2009, 02:01 PM
Heck, I've still got primers left over from the last shortage. Just be patient and this will blow over.

Asherdan
April 3, 2009, 04:01 PM
Good advice here mostly. By just being patient and poking around you can find what you need until things clear up and calm down. Heck, Natchez had WLP & WLR primers just yesterday.

'Course, they're out today, so folks are still stampeding.

Rembrandt
April 3, 2009, 04:24 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D977SAJG0.htm

Associated Press March 29, 2009, 3:00PM ET
Fear of new regs drives gun, ammo shortage

By BEN NEARY
CHEYENNE, Wyo.

Concern that the Obama administration could impose a new ban on some semiautomatic weapons is driving worried gun owners to stockpile ammunition and cartridge reloading components at such a rate that manufacturers can't meet demand.

Attorney General Eric Holder last month suggested that the Obama Administration favors reinstituting a U.S. ban on the sale of assault weapons. President Bill Clinton first signed such a ban into law in 1994, generally blocking some military-style guns with magazines that hold many cartridges. President George Bush had allowed the ban to expire.

"We have heard from all across the country that there is a tremendous shortage of ammunition," said Lawrence Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. "We've heard this from the manufacturers, that their customers are calling them trying to get supplies for inventory, and that the manufacturers are going full-bore, pardon the pun."

The Newtown, Conn.-based foundation is a trade organization representing firearms and ammunition manufacturers as well as retail gun shops.

"Semiautomatic rifles are selling at an incredibly brisk pace," said Keane, adding that many manufacturers of semiautomatic rifles and pistols are already so backordered that this year's entire production is already spoken for.

He said the current ammunition shortage followed the increase in gun sales. While the current shortage includes cartridges for popular semiautomatic rifles and pistols that were covered by the Clinton-era weapons ban, it also extends to other common varieties including common revolver cartridges and .22 rimfire cartridges used for hunting or target shooting.

In Wyoming, the run on bullets and reloading components reached such a frenzy that Cheyenne retailer Frontier Arms recently began rationing sales, said Becky Holtz, co-owner of the shop. Holtz said she's also been selling semiautomatic rifles as fast as she can put them on the shelves.

"You know there's something wrong when I've got little old ladies coming in buying 5,000 rounds of .22 shells," Holtz said.

Jere Jordan is general manager Midsouth Shooters Supply in Clarksville, Tenn. -- one of a handful of firms in the country that specializes in mail-order sales of ammunition and reloading components and equipment.

In common with similar supply houses, Midsouth has run out of most ammunition in the calibers commonly used in semiautomatic pistols and popular military rifles. It's also backordered on many other types of cartridges.

"After the election, where you have a change of parties to a more liberal side, I would say I guess the conservatives want to protect what they feel might be taken away from them, either through a tax, or an all-out ban," Jordan said.

Midsouth and other similar dealers say they're also sold out of most varieties of primers used by hobbyists to handload cartridges. Primers are the explosive caps that ignite gunpowder in rifle and pistol cartridges.

Jordan said his company is taking orders for bullets and primers, but isn't sure when they'll be filled.

"The wait? We're not even guessing on the wait anymore," Jordan said. "It's exceeding 60 days."

Keane, of the Shooting Sports Foundation, said there are no national statistics that directly track firearms sales. However, he noted that there's been a sharp rise in the number of instant background checks that the FBI performs each time a person buys a gun at a gun store. Such checks are not required for personal sales, or for gun purchases at gun shows.

The FBI performed more than 4.2 million firearms background checks from November 2008 through this January, according to agency figures. That's an increase of more than 31 percent above the 3.2 million checks the agency performed from November 2007 through January 2008.

Keane said concerns other than the prospect of new federal regulations are also driving gun and ammunition sales. Those include the faltering economy and the potential side-effect of an increase in crime, he said.

"There's a concern about what's happening to the stock market, what's happening with unemployment, what's happening with the tremendous increase in government spending, whether there will be hyperinflation," Keane said.

Lone_Gunman
April 3, 2009, 06:22 PM
"After the election, where you have a change of parties to a more liberal side, I would say I guess the conservatives want to protect what they feel might be taken away from them, either through a tax, or an all-out ban," Jordan said.

I don't think its just conservatives causing the ammo crisis. I think a lot of people voted for Obama because they wanted a "change" and "hope", and then went out and bought guns and ammo because they know what is coming.

People who voted for Obama and then selfishly went out and bought guns and ammo so they would have theirs are really a sorry lot, if you ask me. They are making sure they get the stuff they want, and then potentially hurting those yet to come by voting for someone who might take away our gun rights.

Art Eatman
April 3, 2009, 08:16 PM
Reloading info? Hmmm?

If you enjoyed reading about "No primers and no Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!