Smith & Wesson 411 - Worth Keeping???

PDA

xlr8
April 2, 2009, 07:49 PM
I've got a Smith & Wesson Model 411 .40 S&W that I bought new on a whim back before the Clinton/Gore/Reno ban on high cap mags back in the mid-90's. It is still new in the box, unfired. Its an alloy frame with a blued slide.

I've had this one in my collection for nearly 15 years, but I just can't get excited about this gun even though the 2nd Generation Smiths were solid, decent guns.

From the used prices that I've come across and the values listed in the Blue Book of gun values doesn't seem up to par with the rest of the 2nd Generation Smith semi-autos. Even though Smith only made this gun for 3 years, it doesn't seem to be much of a "rare bird" in terms of value or a collector's item. My question for everyone, is gun of any collectible value?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson 411 - Worth Keeping???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
April 2, 2009, 09:22 PM
Smith & Wesson "old-school" metal-frame pistols do not seem to be bringing "collector" prices at this time, especially the "Value Line" series like this one that had cost-cutting measures. Those in pristine condition are selling for perhaps $500; lesser examples are in the $3-400 range, sometimes less. There has been a large influx of police trade-ins over the last few years.

bannockburn
April 2, 2009, 10:04 PM
xlr8

It's been my observation that the older all metal S&W autos, while solid, well built, and totally functional, just don't seem to have the same collectibility as other pistols do from the same time period. If you don't have to sell it, or have tested the market only to find not much of a demand, my advice would be to hang on to it a while longer. The day may come when the conditions are more favorable for putting it on the market than they are now.

Patriot1940
May 26, 2009, 06:32 PM
Have you sold your 411?....if not, how much are you asking for it?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson 411 - Worth Keeping???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!