Sort first, then clean, eh?

PDA

Futo Inu
October 10, 2003, 12:50 PM
I'm new to reloading, so I have a massive backlog of dirty brass. So I dumped all brass together, then started a-tumblin, but now it looks like one oughtta sort before tumbling, since every single .45 brass has a .223 brass lodged inside it now. Live and learn. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Sort first, then clean, eh?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
C.R.Sam
October 10, 2003, 12:56 PM
Yup

And not long ago someone reported finding a .40 inside a .45...
In the progressive press.

Sam

Zak Smith
October 10, 2003, 01:30 PM
Yup,

And if you tumble a bunch of 9mm, 40, and 45 together, you'll get all three stacked together. Depending on your tumbling media, it may require pliers to get some of them apart.

-z

Neal Bloom
October 10, 2003, 11:01 PM
Absolutely amazing how strong the attraction is between .45 and 9mm in a tumbler. You would think they were meant for each other.

Welcome to reloading! Have fun.

clown714
October 11, 2003, 10:20 AM
hate to admit it.

been there done that:banghead:

live and learn;)

clown

Kamicosmos
October 12, 2003, 10:54 AM
Throwing in my 'Me Too'.

223 in 44 Mag. Required pliers to free, damaged several 223 cases.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
October 15, 2003, 09:58 AM
I have a three 15 pound barrel tumbler and 6 extra barrels. I sort brass by size and even so a pair of needle nose pliers or a large needle comes in handy to pry some apart

When sorting range brass it helps to take a handful and hold them so the sun shines in to find the berdan primed ones for the salvage yard.

Mal H
October 15, 2003, 12:17 PM
The yups have it.

I do tumble similar cases (cases that can't possibly get intimate with each other) when I don't have a full load of any one type. Gotta sort 'em anyway, and it's easier to sort clean ones.

Examples:
45 Colt & 45ACP - ok
9mm & 45 anything - not ok
9mm & .380 - ok
.357 & .44 - not ok

rayra
October 15, 2003, 07:18 PM
Yup again.
and as Mal said, you can get away with tumbling cases that are like-sized or that won't / can't nest inside each other

Route 66
October 19, 2003, 01:58 PM
Ditto from me on what most have said. I tumble (now sort first) .357, .40 and 9mm. Each batch would have a half dozen or so of 9mm stuck in the .40 and required pliers to get apart. Some chewed up enough to throw away the case.

And since I'm a brass scrounger at the range I'm careful not to pick up a 9mm Berdan primed case. Those can be hard on decapping pins. :(

Black Snowman
October 19, 2003, 05:24 PM
The wierdest instance I've had of this is a 40 case stuck on top of the neck of a 308. How it managed to mesh just so is really unlikely but it happened. Came apart easy enough but it stuck in my mind. Usually my rifle and pistol cases get along in the tumbler ;)

FireInTheHole
October 19, 2003, 11:04 PM
Grrr... I hate it when I miss a 40/9mm case and it gets stuck.... not only do you have media all over the place if it comes loose in the can, but the 9mm case is always dirty!

.308 + .40=bad idea too.... but dont usually shoot pistol at the rifle range or vice versa, so they are usually presorted when I get home and begin case prep.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sort first, then clean, eh?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!