Why do Cub Scout knives lock open at 90 degrees?

PDA

Smith
April 4, 2009, 01:22 AM
I was handling my Cub Scout knife from back in the day and noticed that when opening the knife, the blade locks in the 90 degree position before locking in the fully opened position. Does anyone know if there is a reason for this? Also, with Camillus gone, who makes Cub Scout/Boy Scout knives now?

Thanks,

Smith

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do Cub Scout knives lock open at 90 degrees?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sixgunner455
April 4, 2009, 03:33 AM
Does it "lock" open there, or just "stop"? If it just stops, as I suspect, then it is a design feature called a 'half-stop', which you can tell pretty easily. When the blade is closed, a blade with a 'half-stop' is square (90 degrees) on the end of the knife, instead of rounded.

As far as who is making Scout knives today -- Victorinox makes some, and Bear MGC makes some. There may be other licensees, but those are the ones I have seen. The Victorinox are the better ones.

Smith
April 4, 2009, 11:16 AM
Does it "lock" open there, or just "stop"? If it just stops, as I suspect, then it is a design feature called a 'half-stop', which you can tell pretty easily. When the blade is closed, a blade with a 'half-stop' is square (90 degrees) on the end of the knife, instead of rounded.

The blade doesn't have any true locking system. It just snaps into position at 90 degrees, forming a square. By applying more pressure, the blade can then be pushed further until it "locks" (well, it doesn't really "lock", but it snaps into position) fully opened at 180 degrees.

It it very similar to this one:
http://www.jaysknives.com/boyscouts/ulsterbsa4bladescout2.jpg
(Although on the model I have, that little bar thing isn't protruding from the back of the knife (bottom of the picture) when the knife is at 90 or 180 degrees.)

CZ.22
April 4, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, that's a half-stop. I don't know who makes official Boy Scout knives, but there are plenty of patterns out there- the Wenger SI comes to mind, as well as the Rough Rider and Keen Kutter scout knives.

Upriver
April 4, 2009, 12:59 PM
To help them learn to keep their fingers out of the way when closing them.

Case, AG Russell, and several other folks seem to be making "Scout" patterns as well, although I don't know if the half-stop is inherent in the pattern, or just with specific makers. Maybe someone else can clarify.

Regards,

U

Todd A
April 4, 2009, 02:35 PM
if the half-stop is inherent in the pattern

No it is not. I have Imperial,Camillus,Colonial,Ulster etc.. Scout/Utilities without half stops.

The Ulster BSA pictured in this thread also does not have a half stop.If it did the spring would be flush with the blade in that position.

Does anyone know if there is a reason for this?

I believe the reason is because the Cub Scouts wanted a half-stop.

The blade has a flat ground at the base which allows the blade to match flush with the spring at 90 degrees. If a knife doesn't have a half-stop the blade base is rounded to roll over the spring.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/toddma/100_0675.jpg

Left is a Camillus TL-29 with half-stop, Right is a Camillus scout/utility without half-stop.

The Wiry Irishman
April 4, 2009, 02:54 PM
I had one of those Cub Scout knives way back when. I was young enough that it was still difficult for me to open them. I always assumed it stopped halfway to decreased the chance of them snapping back shut while opening, and to make closing them a little safer as well.

rcmodel
April 4, 2009, 03:39 PM
+1
That is the exact reason.

Ever had a pocket knife fold and snap shut on your fingers while using it and you wouldn't need to ask the question.

This Boy Scout joined up before the half-stop became a feature.

http://pack968.com/v-web/gallery/albums/pack_968/cs_salute.jpg

Notice the maimed fingers! :D

rc

Smith
April 5, 2009, 04:06 AM
To help them learn to keep their fingers out of the way when closing them.
I always assumed it stopped halfway to decreased the chance of them snapping back shut while opening, and to make closing them a little safer as well.
Ahhh, that makes sense. I can recall nearly closing that knife on my fingers when I first got it even with the half stop! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Duke of Doubt
April 5, 2009, 06:10 PM
My original Cub Scout knife (circa 1977) has actual brass lock tabs that had to be pressed in order to unlock the blades. It also has the half-cock notch.

We all went through a couple of cheap black Boy Scout utility knives playing "stretch" until we (at least I) got the nicer white-handled one upon making the Big E.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do Cub Scout knives lock open at 90 degrees?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!