Basic Edged Weapons with Mercop

PDA

unloved
April 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
I just returned home after a day of training with George. I'll post a review of the class in the next day or so. For now I'll just say that anyone who has an opportunity to work with George should jump on it with both feet!

I also want to thank Pete for hosting the class.

If you enjoyed reading about "Basic Edged Weapons with Mercop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loandr.
April 5, 2009, 11:52 AM
another BIG PLUS +1 for george and Crew :D

Russ/BBG

Grey Morel
April 6, 2009, 11:33 AM
please do, i would be interested in reading.

mercop
April 12, 2009, 11:46 AM
You guys are making me blush.- George

unloved
April 15, 2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry it took me so long to post this review. I've been really busy all week.

This course was my introduction to self defense training. I've never studied martial arts or boxing or wrestling of any kind. Other than practicing drawing and opening a folder, I've never trained with a knife.
The MCS Basic Edged Weapons course seemed like it was designed for me personally. It very quickly became obvious that I didn't need a background in martial arts to understand or implement what George was teaching.

The day started with a lecture on SAS (Spontaneous Attack Survival). I'm not sure how long it was because mercop is a friendly, funny, and generally interesting instructor, so I wasn't watching the clock. He demonstrated the most common types of edged weapon attacks (namely a high-right to low-left slash and a straight stab) that you're likely to face on the street.

He covered what he calls Combative Anatomy, showing us how to use natural reactions to stress to defend against those attacks and how to exploit structural weaknesses in an attackers body. Basically, destroy his elbows and he can't attack, destroy his knees and he can't pursue.

Next came the fun part. We partnered up and drilled on a few very simple empty handed techniques that George had demonstrated previously. Then we geared up and did some force on force. FoF was an eye opener. The defensive stuff we'd learned worked very well but most of us were unable to land effective cuts or stabs.

After FoF we went back into lecture mode for a while. George explained the theory behind IET (Inverted Edge Tactics). He showed us the best targets for our defensive folders and a few more simple techniques for diverting an attack and turning the situation to our advantage. At one point George said "I didn't invent holding a knife backwards." but he certainly showed me how effective a knife held backwards can be.

We went back to drilling for a while and then came Force on Force training to kind of bring everything we'd learned together. It worked. In my final FoF session of the day I faced a full speed, full force attack from a guy with an extensive background in martial arts. I was able to hold him off, draw my knife, and land a fatal (I think it would have been a fight stopper too) cut even after being knocked onto my knees. There's no way I could have pulled that off before this class.

Throughout the day I could see that everything I was learning would work equally well against an empty handed attacker or one armed with a stick. It was also clear that the skills I was picking up for transitioning from empty hand to blade would be just as effective for empty hand to pistol.

All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable training session and I learned a ton. I will be attending a Combative Pistol course with mercop next month and I plan to work with him as much as I can in the future.

I can recommend Modern Combative Systems as a training resource without reservation. If you have a chance to work with George, get there!

mercop
April 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
Glad you liked it brother and look forward to training with you again. Hope all your questions were answered. The Edged Weapon Course and Combative Pistol Courses are keeping us busy. Now we are adding a Non-Ballistic Combative Pistol Course that will allow us to do the same pistol course without live fire. This can be done in a warehouse or any building.- George

If you enjoyed reading about "Basic Edged Weapons with Mercop" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!