What are some weapons that are good for distance

PDA

azhunter122
April 5, 2009, 12:31 AM
Alright, lately I have been really big into knives as a back up but really those are an up close a personal type of deal, what are some ideas for weapons that can be used from somewhat of a distance however this excludes OC spray and tasers I can't think of anything at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are some weapons that are good for distance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mossberg
April 5, 2009, 12:35 AM
Maybe you should ask in a handgun section...

Other than that I'm not sure. Maybe a baseball bat or a bullwhip.

RyanM
April 5, 2009, 12:45 AM
The juk jang chang comes to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Muye24ki.JPG

ScareyH22A
April 5, 2009, 01:07 AM
Sling shot and pellets from Walmart? Hahah. If you need to draw a weapon, you really should do it as a last resort. If the assailant is at a distance and can't harm you, you shouldn't attack either. If they have something that can reach you ie gun, you need to respond in return with a gun. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Hahaah. Really though, I have no idea what you could use for long distance that you could carry with you everyday.

76shuvlinoff
April 5, 2009, 10:49 AM
frozen paintballs?

Hungry Seagull
April 5, 2009, 02:47 PM
A Pilum? (Spelling?)

Yer in Handgun territory and then beyond that is shotgun territory followed by carbines and rifles and lastly artillery.

hso
April 5, 2009, 03:28 PM
what are some ideas for weapons that can be used from somewhat of a distance

If you're asking in a practical sense, there aren't many, if any, after Taser and sprays are excluded. Anything that you can carry from a practical standpoint runs contact weapons, sprays/shock then firearms.

If you were a good enough baseball/softball pitcher you could consider a hand thrown impact weapon like a baseball or harder something to carry around. Manriki is a little into the fantasy weapon category, but it might be possible to make a version that could be carried practically.

If you're asking from the standpoint of throughout history, there's tons.

sm
April 5, 2009, 03:35 PM
Good Footwear.

Personally, I am in the Tennis Shoe Camp.

loandr.
April 5, 2009, 04:34 PM
I don't know if it qualifies as "Distance"....BUT a Thick leather belt with heavy Buckle just may do the trick for you?

LD

Macmac
April 5, 2009, 09:59 PM
Not being any too sure what is meant by weapons and distance, Atlatals are fun to practice with, but you will get some odd looks if you take it to town.

With some practice you should be able to throw a dart the size of a short spear over 100 yards. Some bows can do better than that, and might get less odd looks since people will know what you have.

If you mean Self Defence I am not your guy, since i use a gun for that, and only a gun for that. Before i would hit someone with a stick i would shoot them. before i shot them, I would say Stop!. I will never say stop and hit someone with a stick if they don't.

Todd A
April 6, 2009, 08:18 AM
I will never say stop and hit someone with a stick if they don't.

Me neither....

I'll be yelling "Please Please Don't Hurt Me!"....

Then hit them with the stick.;)

Macmac
April 6, 2009, 07:02 PM
Me neither....

I'll be yelling "Please Please Don't Hurt Me!"....

Then hit them with the stick.

Well I guess i could go that far, but then there would be a relitively large sounding BOOM.

Now I might hit a living thing with a stick, like maybe someone's bad mutt humping my leg if a newspaper wasn't handy, and from the looks of things a newspaper isn't going to be handy.

I might hit someone with a stick i suppose after i ran out of bullets, but I work hard at not running out of bullets.
And with that said it has been some time, since I bought many bullets, but then I just don't need to.

Bennyb747
April 6, 2009, 07:53 PM
Throwing knives work great but you'll need a good set and about a years practice.

JTW Jr.
April 6, 2009, 08:25 PM
Good Footwear.

Personally, I am in the Tennis Shoe Camp.

ahh Run-Foo , I practice that one as well.

If that fails , Gun-Foo or Cha-Ching-Pow .

tunnug
April 6, 2009, 08:30 PM
A pike will keep them from 8' to 10' away from you, also usable as a javelin if it's only one bad guy, gives you time to employ your Run-Foo.

JShirley
April 6, 2009, 10:54 PM
Benny,

Welcome to THR. I've seen a lot of people train with thrown blades. Only two were reliably dangerous- one of those two has been featured on numerous Black Belt Magazine covers. The other is a moderator here. A much more likely candidate is something that always hits point first, like a 1" ball bearing, or a large nut.

John

PRE 64 JOE
April 7, 2009, 12:20 AM
My ex wife and her attorney.:D

maskedman504
April 7, 2009, 02:16 AM
http://www.imfdb.org/images/0/00/M18a1_07.jpg

22LRFan
April 7, 2009, 03:04 AM
Ninja stars.

JShirley
April 7, 2009, 12:30 PM
I hope that's a joke. Not only are they illegal to use, and to even carry in most states, they just aren't effective for SD.

22-rimfire
April 7, 2009, 12:36 PM
Bow & Arrow; You said you want some effectiveness at a distance. :)

JShirley
April 7, 2009, 12:38 PM
We really have two different aspects that can be addressed. This thread is about concealable/low profile items that could be use for self-defense at distance. No-one is going to carry a bow around in their back pocket for SD.

On the other hand, items that can be used for survival without firearms do include spears and bows.

22-rimfire
April 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
Sorry. Of course it was a joke if concealment or low profile are issues.

Added: How about a high intensity flashlight for defense after dark? There are many models available.

hso
April 7, 2009, 12:51 PM
If we're trying to provide help with concealable day to day items try not to give advice that is impractical or that will end up getting your fellow member put in jail.

If we're trying to speak in more general non-concealed terms it certainly doesn't have to be limited to anything that has to be concealed or even easily carried.

If you're trying to be funny, please use the available smileys so folks don't think your serious. :neener:;):p

JShirley
April 7, 2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah. Some folks really don't know the difference.

And, um, some of us can go from 0 to serious in no time flat. :o :D

hso
April 7, 2009, 01:03 PM
0 to serious in no time f

Yup, that's me.

sm
April 7, 2009, 06:59 PM
And, um, some of us can go from 0 to serious in no time flat.

Being in my early fifties...

I may not be as good as I once was, but I am good once, as I ever was in using :

Tennis shoes, tossing a vehicle in gear and hitting the gas, throwing a glass pitcher, a fire extinguisher, vehicle antenna busted off a vehicle in a parking lot, cast iron skillet, rolled up newspaper, tumping tables and throwing napkin dispensers and tumping chairs behind me, throwing a picture ripped off the wall...

...ash can with sand next to elevator, and throwing sand in face, then ash can to perps knee, then back up and under chin.

...broom, mop bucket being kicked toward perp, OR bed, bags of Saline , X-Ray machine being rolled to impede travel of those following, and said machine blocking door...

...Ripping the big button that opens doors, out, so that door would not open, and therefore bgs could not come down a hall...
Rolling a Anesthesiua cart toward a punk, whom went into a hall, then shutting doors and using Penrose drains to tie those doors shut...

Did I mention hitting reverse, putting the gas pedal to the floor, and with smoking tires , getting up enough speed to move two vehicles out of the way to evade.

Suggestion: Get the good ins coverage from Rental Car folks, or have really good insurance that covers rental car damage.

Distance is not only measured in feet and yards, also in time...seconds do make a difference.

The earlier one picks up a signal, the more distance they have.

Macmac
April 7, 2009, 07:35 PM
Ill go with sm. I am 57 and pretty fit, but then I am not 26 anymore.

To carry any item for SD and conceal it at all means a GUN, and if not a gun a really big knife, and the biggest one it seems i can conceal is my bowie. Which I can wear inside my belt, since the walnut scabard has a hook going outside my belt, and i wear it across my back.

Now the only way I know i can hide this is, I was at a primitive event, where some guy not knowing I make knives tried to sell me one of his. His ploy was, "You need a knife!" and so I grinned at him, and pulled out my patch knife from the possible bag strap.

Then he said "You need a bigger knife, and so I reached inside the neck of my shirt and with drew my neck knife, and offered another grin.

Getting a bit frustrated he sort of yelled "You need a big knife!" and I reached for my birds head butcher on my belt hanging vertical, and grinned again.

At that point he assumed i was all done, and said screaming at the top of his lungs "YOU NEED A REALLY BIG KNIFE!"
and i reached back behind me and haul this thing out :D
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll275/Mac_Muz/Knives/bowie_case_side.jpg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll275/Mac_Muz/Knives/bowie_ft_case2.jpg

So this is as big of a blade as I can conceal. Now is it anything of any distance? Well that depends on what you have as if it is with no gun, my knife away.

The only other item I am aware of is a taser, and I have no use of a taser.

conw
April 7, 2009, 08:06 PM
The only effective use for thrown weapons I know is as a distraction-type device, like the real use of the shuriken. But unless you are cornered or closing in on your attacker for some odd reason I don't see much of a use for them.

I bet a chemist or someone who knew how to use explosives (I'm NOT advocating a grenade type device, more like a mild flashbang) could make a pretty cool little distraction type device that would buy you a few seconds if you threw it at someone's face. But of course you'd want it safely and easily carry-able and legal, not very likely.

JShirley
April 8, 2009, 01:39 AM
We live in a weapon-rich world, if we choose to view and use it that way. Salt and pepper packets and shakers, sugar, low-cal sweeteners, hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, hot coffee, pocket change, you name it: the things that can be used as metsubishi or to just plain stop an aggressor are limited only by our acknowledgment of them.

Dirty Bob
April 8, 2009, 02:17 AM
JShirley nailed it. Small objects, such as coins, a "short" can of soda, a bunch of old keys on a ring, etc. are your best bet. The idea is to cause the attacker to duck or flinch, which gives you the opportunity to run away or to draw something more effective.

A drink in a fast food cup, or a cup of hot coffee could be tossed at the bad guy's face. Great thing about a beverage is that it's normal to walk around with it in your hands.

My favorite primitive missile weapons are hand axes and spears. The former is really nasty, because of its weight. The butt of the handle or the top of the ax head can still hit really hard. I also got pretty good throwing a 3/4 ax one summer. Not practical, but fun as heck!

Regards,
Dirty Bob

conw
April 8, 2009, 12:25 PM
Can't believe I forgot coffee.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
April 8, 2009, 01:52 PM
http://openclipart.org/people/Clue/Clue_Guns_Pack.png

:p :D

JShirley
April 8, 2009, 02:22 PM
It's a given that firearms are more effective at a distance than other tools, easier to learn to use well, and the preferred defensive tool if available. This thread is about what else could be used to create distance if firearms are not an option.

Help me understand how your 25 firearms fit into Non-Firearm Weapons choices. (And, incidentally, you show the silhouette of the G36 twice.)

mg.mikael
April 8, 2009, 07:45 PM
Alright, lately I have been really big into knives as a back up but really those are an up close a personal type of deal, what are some ideas for weapons that can be used from somewhat of a distance however this excludes OC spray and tasers I can't think of anything at all.

Try slingshots, they come in a variety of types/sizes for diffrerent purposes.
Plus their's alot of "stuff" you can slingshot at someone, alot!

hignhappy00
April 9, 2009, 01:16 AM
Throwing knives work great but you'll need a good set and about a years practice.
I agree.

LoneCoon
April 10, 2009, 10:38 AM
A much more likely candidate is something that always hits point first, like a 1" ball bearing,

Pointy ball bearings? Clearly, sir, you are doing it wrong.

JShirley
April 10, 2009, 11:30 AM
Funny. The point is, any side that hits is fine: there's no dependence on angle of attack.

hso
April 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
What's the "point" of throwing a ball bearing?

You can carry them all around.

RyanM
April 10, 2009, 08:29 PM
On the other hand, a 2 ounce throwing knife that hits handle-first would have almost the same "oomph" as a 2 ounce ball bearing that hits surface-first, with a small chance of doing "bonus" damage if it hits blade-first.

Al Thompson
April 10, 2009, 08:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas

I'm thinking three pool balls joined with 550 cord. :)

roscoe
April 10, 2009, 09:19 PM
In the 3rd World, machetes are ubiquitous, and legal pretty much everywhere. Best thing short of a projectile weapon, in my opinion.

Duke of Doubt
April 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
As a young teen I designed and built an atlatl for shuriken. It actually worked. With practice I achieved far better velocity and penetration than from throwing the silly little things by hand. Still, compared to a Beretta ... well, it sucked.

sm
April 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
Al wrote:
I'm thinking three pool balls joined with 550 cord.

Some punks thought getting into joint with a bar, pool tables, shuffleboard, and pinball machines, would be easy, about 9am. Especially since it was just "girls" that arrived early to get everything set up.

Pool balls when thrown will get punks with small shiny guns at a back door, to think differently.
Which is good, because pool cues were in some hands, and unknown to them, so was a Stevens 311 , Gov't Model of 1911 and Model 19.

Girls are so neat...

"Stripes or Solids?"

"Don't matter, rack 'em up, and lets bust some balls"

*whups*

LAK
April 11, 2009, 02:50 AM
Probably the easiest and most (potentially) effective thrown object would be the Cold Steel "Torpedo".

Better be careful how you carry it though - you wouldn't want to fall down the stairs with that one in your coat pocket or stuck inside your waistband.

http://www.coldsteel.com/torpedo.html

-----------------------------------------

http://gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

JShirley
April 11, 2009, 06:37 AM
Bo shuriken. The Torpedo is just the largest example I've seen.

And hso's last comment was a pun, if you didn't get it. Unfortunately, I did.

hso
April 11, 2009, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately, I did.

I knew your well rounded education would allow you to see my little tangent.

sm
April 11, 2009, 07:53 AM
*sine*

22-rimfire
April 11, 2009, 04:46 PM
machetes are ubiquitous

They are. But be careful if you live in a big city. A friend got thrown in jail for a night because he had one in his truck in Dallas TX.

If you enjoyed reading about "What are some weapons that are good for distance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!