Winchester axe

PDA

higene
April 6, 2009, 01:24 PM

I call this a Pre-04 Winchester edged weapon (when Winchester edged weapons were still made in America). I picked it up at a gun show. I had a new handle put on it. The guy at the saw shop said originally they were a youth axe and I also got a longer handle when I had this one put on.

I would appreciate any information anyone has on Winchester edged weapons.

Higene

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester axe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
April 6, 2009, 02:00 PM
First off a minor nit, it's an ax. A tool that has been around in one form or the other for well over a thousand years. It is no more a weapon than a brush hook or hammer. The fact that it, along with a stick and many other common items, can be used as a weapon doesn't make it a weapon as a class of items.

I know the marque says "Non-Firearm Weapons", but we're not keen on calling things weapons unless that is their specific design.

Could you provide some dimensions or something to provide scale in your photo?

Without knowing it's size or weight I'd guess it is a standard Winchester felling ax, but it could be a youth or camp ax.

rcmodel
April 6, 2009, 02:22 PM
Looks like a lot of the bit length & taper has been lost to sharpening over the years.

rc

Macmac
April 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
Winchster made a lot of things and a axe in the 'American Pattern' is one of them in full size apx 3 pounds and smaller sizes, along with flashlites and other tools besides guns.

I agree this is a tool and not a weapon. A weapon made in the form of a axe is more like a tomahawk, made light and fast, but it won't do squat for wood working. The bit is too thin, and the over all is too light..

I don't understand Pre 04 at all and I doubt the bit was made before 1904 if that is what you mean.

It is semi collectable since it is worn, and I can't tell if it was abused baddly, but it does seem to have a rolled over paul.

It is something you can use and care for if you like, but not of any great value IMO.

phlip99999
April 6, 2009, 11:24 PM
I'm a little confused:

Why is this a tool, not a weapon, but a baseball bat is a weapon, not a toy? http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=434984. And why were Sharpies, hammers, and fire extinguishers household weapons and not writing utensils, tools, and safety devices. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=438561

I'm sure there's a distinction here, and I'm just not getting it. Somebody want to recalibrate me on this?

Macmac
April 7, 2009, 08:17 PM
phlip99999 To me the items you listed are not weapons either. Not all knives to me are weapons.

An example is my swiss knife is not a weapon, nor are a great deal of other small folders like my Case pen knife in carbon steel with blades under 1 inch long.

Now maybe my Bowie at 1.5 pounds, and over all 16" long 1/4" thick could be a weapon, and the double edge dagger I made IS a weapon and not a tool, as are my dirks with blades of about 14 inch or more...

To me sticks and bats can be used as a weapon, like a hammer is on my left thumb. But for the better part in a court of Law most of these items to include that axe are not what I would call a weapon. These days there are some guys calling a very bright flash light a weapon. To me they are just a better target at night.

phlip99999
April 7, 2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the reply, Mac. I'm trying to understand why higene got thumped for calling his axe a weapon, while there didn't seem to be an issue with calling the baseball bat, Sharpie, hammer, or fire extinguisher weapons in the posts I referenced. I'm a new guy here, too, and I'm trying to learn the forum norms.

phlip

KevinAbbeyTech
April 8, 2009, 06:07 AM
Nice find! What did it set you back?

I don't really think of my pocket knife as a weapon either, but rather as a multi-purpose tool.

Then again, my shotgun is really more of a tool for meat collection and varmint control.

stdlrf11
April 8, 2009, 06:33 AM
There's a difference between a weapon and an improvised weapon. Most people get lazy and leave off the "improvised" part.

stdlrf11

hso
April 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
I consulted with a serious antique blade collector and go the following info.

Winchester made axes between 1920 and, perhaps as late as, 1939.

There are 2 generations of markings.

The 3 line marking is the latter of the two.

Winchester made axes for KeenKutter as well during that time and they were marked with the KeenKutter markings.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester axe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!