2 resident permits, each from different state?

PDA

.cheese.
April 6, 2009, 10:50 PM
I have a FL resident permit.

I will be moving to Minnesota for law school (unless something significant as far as wait-lists comes through).

My FL permit is not valid in Minnesota.

I will, in the meantime, get a non-resident permit from Utah which MN does honor to my knowledge.

Then, I will get a "resident" MN permit (supposedly there is no such thing as resident vs non-resident for MN permits.

Anyways, the house I live in will still belong to my family and I will of course visit. Should I transfer my FL permit to a non-resident permit, or can I leave it the way it is considering I still have a residence in Florida?

If you enjoyed reading about "2 resident permits, each from different state?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
.cheese.
April 7, 2009, 11:34 AM
Seems like everybody is like me on this one - stumped.

TexasRifleman
April 7, 2009, 11:37 AM
Do you know the exact definition of resident for both states and can you meet them both?

Just owning a home there isn't usually enough, there are requirements about how long you are there a year, lots of them requiring so many days IN A ROW etc.

I'd start there and see if I could even meet the requirements for that.

I've heard from folks with houses in 2 states that it's extremely difficult to meet both states requirements most of the time.

.cheese.
April 7, 2009, 03:56 PM
so... find the statutory definition of "resident" for each state.

good idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Trebor
April 7, 2009, 04:01 PM
Just be aware that is easy to trip yourself up and get in trouble by trying to be "cute" with residency issues in general.

States take a dim view when someone trys to "get around" a state law or, more often, a state tax by claiming residency in a different state.

The advice to check each state's laws is very good advice.

And, on the face of it, if each state only issues a "resident CCW" permit that means you really need to pick a state and only have the "resident" permit from that state.

If you had "resident" permits from two different states, either state could use the fact that you had a permit from the other state as a reason to make your resident permit in their state invalid.

In short, for a "resident" permit, pick a state and be done with it.

.cheese.
April 7, 2009, 04:24 PM
That's not the situation here.

The situation is - I HAVE a resident permit for FL b/c I've lived here for 26 years. I WILL be a resident of MN within a month or two and will be living there for most of the year for at least 3 years (4 if I do the JD/MBA), if not more.

The issue was simply whether or not to leave my FL permit alone, or to specifically contact the licensing division to have them change it. I am not trying to get 2 resident permits at the same time. The basis for a MN permit will be valid, and the basis for my FL has been valid. Whether or not I will have adequate grounds to leave my FL permit alone is what I'm trying to figure out.

I think TR's idea is what I need to do for Florida.

There supposedly is no "resident" vs "non-resident" differentiation for MN permits. So I'd end up with a Utah non-resident permit, a MN permit (generic), and then I have to figure out whether to change my FL permit's status.

si vis pacem
April 7, 2009, 04:32 PM
Well, your first month of law school will focus (in Civil Procedure) on what exactly "resident" means. Abandon all hope. :)

GRIZ22
April 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
It depends what your state says.

If you enjoyed reading about "2 resident permits, each from different state?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!