Estwing Weight Forward Hammer

PDA

axeman_g
April 7, 2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.estwing.com/product.php?product_id=100

Here in NJ, no CCW and having any type of weapon in your car (bball bat, crowbar, asp, knife etc etc) is verboten. But... tools are needed all the time and can be explained as to why they are in the car.

I picked one of these up the other day, I needed a new hammer and tries this out. It struck me that this would be a great defensive weapon. Mine is about 16" long and weighs about 2pds. All of the weight is in the steel hammer face and cla. The grip angle and pole bend really brings the face down with extra speed and therefore force. It really drove nails well and seemed to strike sharper then my traditional estwing framer. The fiberglass handle is nice, but I would prefer wood or steel.

Personally, I think this makes a great psuedo war hammer.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Estwing Weight Forward Hammer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
April 7, 2009, 01:37 PM
I played with one a few months ago. It felt...interesting.

J

Smokey Joe
April 7, 2009, 01:39 PM
Axeman G--It struck me that this would be a great defensive weapon.You MEANT that as a pun, I hope!!

hso
April 7, 2009, 01:54 PM
If you have a tool belt in your car you always have a good selection of tools that can be pressed into service in self defense.

A hammer is always a good choice. Make sure you have a couple of sharp chisels as well. Perhaps a couple of screw drivers. AND a good explanation for why they're in there.

JWF III
April 7, 2009, 02:24 PM
I've been in construction for quite a few years.

A 28 oz. Estwing framing hammer and a 4 foot level make formidable weapons. Each would dispatch an assaulter in no time. A screwdriver or chisel is more dependent in location. A half @ss swing with either hammer or level will put anyone down in just one blow.

Wyman

22-rimfire
April 7, 2009, 04:48 PM
A hammer works. My favorite is a long handled sheet rock hammer. I often have four or five knives in there as well.

How about a chain saw? You never know when you may need it to get past a downed tree on a country road.

I generally keep tools in my work vehicle. I keep a lot of things in there. I guess the important thing is that whatever tool you carry, the tool is available and should appear to be a normal part of the stuff you carry. Afterall, airlines were hijacked with utility knives.

EShell
April 7, 2009, 10:05 PM
There's not much stopping a framing square either. . .

TheVirginian
April 7, 2009, 10:42 PM
A chainsaw?! Good lord man, it's NJ... there are no trees! ;)

Hockey masks aplenty though... :eek:

RobertCohn
April 7, 2009, 11:00 PM
I don't understand...they have strict anti-gun laws in NJ...all the crime and threats have been removed, citizen...why would you need a hammer to defend yourself ?

wyocarp
April 7, 2009, 11:01 PM
A hammer is always a good choice. Make sure you have a couple of sharp chisels as well. Perhaps a couple of screw drivers. AND a good explanation for why they're in there.

Why would anyone need to explain why he has a hammer in his vehicle? Just tell the cop to PISS OFF (if you want to be polite) or show me the statute that prohibits hammers on one's person or in their car.

Ohio Gun Guy
April 7, 2009, 11:03 PM
Sounds like New Jersey needs to be challenged by the NRA citing "Heller".

Dimis
April 8, 2009, 12:42 AM
my favorite "tool" would be a small prybar like the dead on exhumer (catspaw) its weighted nicely and swings naturaly like a baton "sorta"
and of course a framing hammer or drywall hatchet work wonders on an agressor
being in the floor business for all my youth a carpet kicker isnt a joke if you HAD to use it just remember teeth out

axeman_g
April 8, 2009, 10:43 AM
"Sounds like New Jersey needs to be challenged by the NRA citing "Heller".
Amen to that.

We can have, we can use to defend our homes, my main issue around here is we can not CCW. I think there would be alot less bird flipping, road rage and general all around rudeness if NJians we allowed to CCW.

Smokey it was a little pun and not a very good one, Iwas trying to work in "impacted" as well but I could not figure it out.

Much like Moscow of 1960, you dont tell a NJ cop to "piss off" without serious consequences. Most township police in NJ are like the Sheriff of Sherwood Forest, bullies.

harmonic
April 8, 2009, 11:19 AM
I own an Estwing trim hammer that literally "rings" when I use it. I worked in contractor sales at Lowe's many years ago, and a guy bought an Estwing that did the same thing and drove him nuts. He wrote the factory and they told him the "claw" was acting as a tuning fork and that he needed to file one of the "claws" down to make it off pitch. Then it wouldn't "sing" anymore.

That always impressed me, viz. that here's a hammer company that produces a hammer where the claw is made with such close precision that it sings.

But yes, my Estwing does get on my nerves sometimes.

Fred Fuller
April 8, 2009, 11:20 AM
DW teaches and can't carry on campus. I got her a 16 oz. Stanley steel shaft straight claw hammer to add to her car toolkit...

lpl

mole
April 8, 2009, 12:39 PM
I own an Estwing trim hammer that literally "rings" when I use it.

I had one of those Stanley anti-vibe hammers that did the same thing. It got stolen and I didn't miss it one bit.

mgregg85
April 12, 2009, 09:42 PM
A nice big mag light works good too and its even more innocuous. I keep one with a paracord wrap in my car where I can easily grab it.

unloved
April 12, 2009, 09:58 PM
I love my Dead On Tools framer. (http://deadonstore.com/tools/dographite24.htm) 20" graphite wrapped curved hickory handle, 24oz. 1095 head.. I usually use it as a creative tool but I could do some serious damage with this baby!

husker
April 13, 2009, 02:01 AM
JFW III. im a mason hear in nebraska. and many years ago i cracked a guy in the head with my 4 foot crick level in self defense. it busted his eye brow and for head wide open. his eyes rolled back in his head and then his eye lids went off like venation blinds. then finally the big big bastard went down to one knee. he was a power lifter that i think was on a royed rage. hes lucky i didnt have a gun. i would have shot this monster no bones about it. it scared the hell out of me. i grabbed my tools and never went back

jbkebert
April 13, 2009, 02:14 AM
I worked in contractor sales at Lowe's many years ago,

Sorry about that. I had the same job for about 6 years don't miss it a bit. I work as a remodeling contractor and I am in and out of peoples homes and business all day 5 days a week. A 20 oz estwing is the best weapon in my nail belt. I do not carry CCW when working I do keep one in the truck. A nail belt is full of potential defensive weapons. From a scratch awl, utility knife, chisel, screwdriver, hammer, square, key hole saw. Any of which could be used for defense.

jbkebert
April 13, 2009, 02:18 AM
http://www.stanleytools.com/catalog_images/mid_res/55-099_mid_res.jpg

Here is a war hammer for you. I have found these things work really well for racking joist and rafters.

BruiseLee
April 13, 2009, 06:23 AM
Check this out:
http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/dead-on-annihilator-0708.jpg
I saw this sucker at my local Home Depot of all places. It would probably be a decent close quarters melee weapon since it is a combination hammer/spike/axe blade.

But, with a name like Annihilator from, I kid you not, Dead On Tools, and with a screaming skull logo adorning its side, I'd hate to face the local District Attorney even if I had just clobbered Osama Bin Laden planting a weapon of mass destruction in my house.

JShirley
April 13, 2009, 06:27 AM
Good to see you, Bruise. Been a while.

John

BruiseLee
April 13, 2009, 08:59 AM
"Good to see you, Bruise. Been a while.

John"

Good to be back. Had a hard time in my personal life. Plus, I guess the current situation here in the US has prompted me to update my knowledge base before I blow any on my precious bucks on sporting goods.

JShirley
April 17, 2009, 12:21 AM
I understand, man. :(

Let me know if I can help in any way. :)

John

James T Thomas
April 17, 2009, 02:42 PM
Just a Thought:

All those untermench living in NJ could be discussing real firearms instead of verboten government listed items if you would stand up and begin to vote
Constitutional or Libertarian parties once and for all.

Forget the deceptive Republicans!

Have you all noticed the public declarations coming from the Republican critters lately? They know what is up, and like Senator Arlen Spector here in your neighbor state of PA are now in fear for their re-election.
He has proven that contacting your Rep. has been nullified, and that replacing him or her is the only effective means we have to restore the Republic.

If you have been forced by a totalitarian government to the use of sticks and stones to defend yourself, I would go with some kind of stick to give me longer reach beyond the range of the single hand held implement.

MashBill
April 18, 2009, 03:00 PM
A hammer can be a great defensive weapon. I'm a steel and wood man, so I use a Douglas framing hammer. This is one of the best tool purchases that I have ever made. Once you use one, you will never want to use another brand again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Estwing Weight Forward Hammer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!