Looking for old advice on selling clumps of knives

PDA

Hawk
April 7, 2009, 11:58 AM
Of all the things I've lost I think I miss my mind the most.

I've got a shred of a memory regarding some excellent advice to be found on this forum for painlessly liquidating knives in moderate quantities.

But I can't find it now. Anybody got any advice?

If I do get shuffled overseas in the next year I'd like to get rid of:

1. A couple-three dozen Khukuris - all HI, Kothimoda, Falcata and Cherokee Rose in the mix.

2. A mystery quantity of Spyderco - probably between 100 and 200 mostly all in box (recently terminated collector's club member). I'll of course have to do an inventory if this gets serious with the move but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've got a very few heavily used oddballs - SpeedTech, Reeve etc and will likely be hanging on to those.

TIA!

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for old advice on selling clumps of knives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
April 7, 2009, 12:34 PM
If you have enough of something, sometimes it's good to put someone else in charge of disposing of it for you, for a percentage of the total net profit.

Otherwise, the quickest way to dispose of these would probably be to make groupings of types of knives- say, 10 HI to a picture, with letters next to each knife- and post the pics with a quick description of each. First "I'll take it" gets it. You can also post lot buys, so if someone wants to buy all 10 HI offerings, he could do so for a 20% discount, or something.

Sounds like you have quite an investment there. I hope you can recoup most of your cost.

John

22-rimfire
April 7, 2009, 12:39 PM
As a possiblity, get a table at a gun show. Might be fun too.

Selling off collections can be a slow process unless you are pretty flexible on price.

hso
April 7, 2009, 01:02 PM
I'll add to John's and 22-R's advice by saying research the value, take group pictures of "categories" and close ups of specific features of interest. You can post in THR in "Trading Post" and put a link in your signature line to direct people to the sale (don't forget to give the folks here a heads up about the impending sale by asking for their opinion on how you've laid it out;)). Post here and on any of the knife websites that allow you to do so. If you've been buying limited Spydies you're probably already plugged into one of the Spyderco forums. Ask the same question over there and see how many PMs of "Whatchagot???" you receive.

You can always get a table at a show, but you may end up bringing home as much as you brought in, just different.

OR you can sell the whole thing to a purveyor (not the first four letters:D) who will pay you a lump sum for the whole thing. A "fair" price is about 2/3 of what the purv will end up selling the whole lot for to their clients.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for old advice on selling clumps of knives" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!