Private Sales to New York

PDA

Nick_007
April 7, 2009, 02:43 PM
I'm considering buying a gun off a forum member. I know I have to deal through an FFL in New York. But does that mean a private seller can ship to the FFL or only an FFL can ship to another FFL?

Also maybe THR can start a forum where we can post guns for sale.

If you enjoyed reading about "Private Sales to New York" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Enginetech88
April 7, 2009, 02:50 PM
First off..... By gun, do you mean rifle/shotgun or handgun. Second... Are you both from NYS or which: the buyer or seller from NYS? Lastly THR does have a buy sell trade for guns. Its at the bottom of the main page. :)

Nick_007
April 7, 2009, 03:17 PM
It's for an SKS. I wouldn't dream of doing this with a handgun. I know that much.

He's from out-of-state I'm in NY state (and not in NYC).

USSR
April 7, 2009, 04:15 PM
Nick_007,

It's up to your FFL. Some FFL's will only accept receipt of a long gun from another FFL, and some will accept receipt of a long gun from an individual. Federal law does not state a long gun must be shipped FFL to FFL, it's a CYA situation for these dealers. Talk to your FFL and find out what he says about accepting a rifle from an individual for you.

Don

NavyLCDR
April 7, 2009, 06:04 PM
Federal law does not state a long gun must be shipped FFL to FFL

Federal law does not state that any firearm must be shipped FFL to FFL.

And, yes, it is very true that it is up to your receiving FFL.

Speedo66
April 7, 2009, 08:48 PM
Unless the rifle or shotgun is over 50 years old and you have a C&R license, in which case you can buy it directly..

You say "I know I have to deal through an FFL in NY". That's EVERY state if you buy from an out of state seller, not just NY.

NY takes enough crap here as it is, please don't add to it unnecessarily.

Oro
April 8, 2009, 02:19 AM
A few problems with the last post:

Unless the rifle or shotgun is over 50 years old and you have a C&R license, in which case you can buy it directly..

Or it is otherwise labeled as a C&r weapon, which a stock SKS is - so his weapon maybe.

NY takes enough crap here as it is, please don't add to it unnecessarily.

I do not view the Nick 007's questions as "crap," and that's a very pejorative word to slap on another member/poster casually. He is trying to get informed and do the right. We should encourage that, not discourage it with rudeness. He made no negative comments or value statements about NY laws, or the state in general. Remember the name of the forum?

NavyLCDR
April 8, 2009, 02:45 AM
You say "I know I have to deal through an FFL in NY". That's EVERY state if you buy from an out of state seller, not just NY.

No, actually, it is just New York for long guns (and a couple of other states), and I am not even sure if that is a requirement for long guns in New York. I, as a Washington state resident can purchase a long gun from a private party in, say, Oklahoma and that long gun can be transferred to me via an Oklahoma FFL if the transfer is done by my in person with the FFL in Oklahoma.

Now, the Oklahoma FFL CANNOT ship the long gun to me, that would be illegal as well.

Speedo66
April 8, 2009, 09:32 AM
I was not referring to his post as "crap", just referring to so many other hateful posts here about NY. Would anybody like to tell me it doesn't happen here? I don't recall anybody chastising any poster of nastiness about NY.

NY does not require any dealer or paper work for instate transfer of long guns, only NYC does. I was referring to transfers from an out of state seller, which requires an FFL transfer, as does every state due to federal law, except for C&R.

Please pardon me for not remembering that some C&R guns don't have to be over 50 years old.

If you enjoyed reading about "Private Sales to New York" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!