Great way to get family/friends into the sport of shooting

PDA

nachosgrande
April 7, 2009, 11:46 PM
This is a follow up to an original post asking if anybody thought it was a bad idea to get a pellet gun to practice real gun shooting skills in my basement. Well, I got one, and the answer to that for me is yes, if you get an accurate gun. I have been getting quite good with this thing at home and it really does translate to more accurate shooting at the range. Just 15 minutes each night has made a tremendous difference in my shooting.

The surprise was that the entire family and some friends have now joined in and love it. We have these little matches that are just too much fun and now everyone is going with me to the range over the next week to try their hand at the real thing.

For those interested, I choose this gun, the Crosman 1377 American Classic after doing some research because it is supposed to be the most accurate pellet gun under $150 and has a decent trigger. It ran me $49.99 and has been well worth it.

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/nachosgrande/Crosman_1377.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Great way to get family/friends into the sport of shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alemonkey
April 7, 2009, 11:51 PM
I had a roommate in college who had one of those, with a detachable stock. Great gun.

catspa
April 8, 2009, 01:02 AM
I paid 54.00 + tax for mine.

Parker

Gamera
April 8, 2009, 01:07 AM
You know, I might have to try this out. Even if it doesn't build "real" shooting skills, I'm sure it's great fun!

Thingster
April 8, 2009, 02:24 AM
Why wouldn't it build "real" shooting skills?

The fundamentals are the fundamentals, regardless of what you're shooting. You could shoot a nerf gun and everything would still apply.

You don't really have to worry about recovering your shot, but it's definitely good practice.

Steve N
April 8, 2009, 01:56 PM
Check out this website: http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/ The 1377 can be pimped out with a longer barrel, custom forearm and grip, new breech, etc. You can put easily add $200 to a $50 gun. They are accurate, cheap to shoot, and MOST importantly FUN!

catspa
April 8, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hey, Gamera.

Perhaps it would develop certain shooting skills more than using a cartridge arm. The velocity of the pellet gun is lower, therefor longer barrel time when the shot is fired, during which the shooter must hold his/her position steady.

Parker

nachosgrande
April 8, 2009, 05:45 PM
Well, Gamera, it may not work for everybody, I was just saying what worked for me.

jnyork
April 8, 2009, 06:42 PM
It builds "real" shooting skills. Marksmanship is marksmanship.

alemonkey
April 8, 2009, 06:51 PM
I've found spending time in my garage every night with my air rifle shooting offhand has helped my offhand centerfire shooting quite a bit. The more practice the better, whether that's air rifle, .22, or centerfire.

BhmBill
April 8, 2009, 06:53 PM
This is what I learned with in the backyard when I was 12 or 13. Not as deadly as a full on firearm, but it lets kids learn safety, how to shoot, etc.

http://spln.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p2351778dt.jpg

Impureclient
April 8, 2009, 08:12 PM
I was shooting mt RWS350 pellet gun for a couple years before I bought my first real gun. Shooting a high powered pellet gun like that requires
a lot of practice. It definitely translates to more skill when shooting the real gun. The only thing that isn't the same is the recoil. Mine does
have a pretty hard kick, enough to destroy heavy scopes. Some pellet guns are putting out the same energy as real firearms do so they of
course have a much larger recoil. I would have to say using the pellet gun in the backyard helped me more than dry firing my real gun. All the
steps in shooting the pellet gun are the same as the real gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Great way to get family/friends into the sport of shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!