Bushmaster Dissipator

PDA

wardog
October 11, 2003, 01:33 AM
Anyone else have a Bushmaster Dissipator?

I really like mine, short barrel with full sight radius.

When I explain to other AR owners, usually no one knows what I'm talking about, and I've never seen anyone else with one.

Just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster Dissipator" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
QuarterBoreGunner
October 11, 2003, 02:52 AM
A Dissipator upper to go with one of my per-ban AR lowers, has been on my short list of things to buy for along time now; the short overall barrel length with the full length sight radius, what's not to like. The Dissipator uppers from Quality Parts use the short carbine length gas tubes so they should cycle just fine with any ammo.

One of these days I'll break down and pick one up...

AUTIGER04
October 11, 2003, 02:54 AM
I dont own one yet. But, They do look tempting.:D

DougB
October 11, 2003, 04:50 AM
I have one and like it a lot. My only complaint is that it's a little muzzle heavy. I wish I had the fluted barrel on mine to cut the weight a little.

Doug

KMKeller
October 11, 2003, 07:35 AM
I have one and love it.

geekWithA.45
October 11, 2003, 08:56 AM
I don't mind the muzzle weight; I've found it more effective at controlling the recoil than the muzzle brakes on the shorties.

Wouldn't trade it for the world!

BusMaster007
October 11, 2003, 11:03 AM
:D

FunGun. Wouldn't it be nice if next year it became just another AR15 instead of a 'pre-ban'?

BlkHawk73
October 11, 2003, 11:19 AM
The Dissipator uppers from Quality Parts use the short carbine length gas tubes so they should cycle just fine with any ammo.
Quality Parts & Bushmaster are for the most part one-in-the-same. One is simply a division of the other. As far as cycling...I'm seen 'em full-auto with no problems. The Dissipator is actually the only variation of the AR models that appeal to me. It's a bit down on my list of wants, but someday. After all, buying one will let me help support my local economy (they're made only 15 min. from me)

Skunkabilly
October 11, 2003, 11:19 AM
Do they fit on lowers with the horsey on it? (Colt)

larry408
October 11, 2003, 11:54 AM
When the ban goes away one of the first things I will do is add a FS to my Dissipator

Chipperman
October 11, 2003, 12:08 PM
I only have one AR, and it's a Dissi. I love it.
After looking carefully at all the options of uppers, I liked the Dissi the best. As far as it being muzzle heavy, that's relative. Carry around any battle rifle for an hour and the Dissi feels like a feather.

Slightly muzzle heavy is also good for quick follow-up shots.

A lot of people think they look funny, but I personally think they look a lot better than a shorty with a lot of nekkid barrel at the end.

MolonLabe416
October 11, 2003, 12:30 PM
I prefer the Dissipator. I have one with a light fluted bbl from KKF. Excellent weapon. It's what the M4 should have been IMHO.

MiniZ
October 11, 2003, 01:39 PM
They will fit a "Horsey" lower, but you will need an adaptor if you have the large pivot hole.

dickwholliday
October 11, 2003, 03:26 PM
mine is a preban with a Berquist Comp......flat top with detachable carry handle....i run a Trijicon Reflex 2 on it and it is my #1 gun for 3gun....Dick

AK103K
October 11, 2003, 06:25 PM
Here's mine :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/p1a70b26fa18d062fa50b3c5254af723c/fcaf5493.jpg
I like the shorter barrel with the full size handguards. I could do without the heavy barrel though, it does make it unnecessarily heavy, and does nothing for the accuracy department, at least with mine. Its the worst shooter of my three AR's. My Krebs AK103K will actually out shoot it at 100 yards on a pretty regular basis.

dickwholliday
October 11, 2003, 09:34 PM
It is available with the M4 configuration just in case you're interested....very light......D I C K

weet
October 17, 2009, 12:16 PM
i like the ideal of the ''dissipator'' so much, i've ordered a CMMG 16'' mid-contour barrel, with the mid-length gas system.
and the shorter A1 stock, ... may even go with the A1 detachable carry handel too.
''kinda'' retro look.
of the colt model 605.
just waiting on parts...

weet

weet
October 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
I prefer the Dissipator. I have one with a light fluted bbl from KKF. Excellent weapon. It's what the M4 should have been IMHO.
i'll haves to agree with post number #12
i think having rifle length sights , and mid-length gas, [slower/softer shooting] .. should be about the best of both worlds.

weet

briansmithwins
October 17, 2009, 12:21 PM
Ahhhhh! It's a zombie thread from 2003 that's risen from the grave! Kill it! kill it with fire!

I too prefer the CMMG midlength gas dissy. Why do carbine gas when you don't have to? BSW

BushyGuy
October 17, 2009, 12:25 PM
i like the Bushmaster Dissipator they are pretty good rifles, their barrels cool faster then the AR shortys .

weet
October 17, 2009, 12:47 PM
yeah...back from the dead !! ha.
i can only do this once..... i'll tell ya ! researched my bushy out for months..
i have the m4. but i tried my buddys colt rifle....
loved the softer gas of the rifle.. and the sights was better for me.
then lo and behold, i find out about the dissy. it was calling my name ! :)
i thoughts ? perfect... tractor/pickup. all around. the best of both..
killing me waiting on these parts ! :)

weet

peabody
August 8, 2010, 02:31 PM
ok,, i finished my dissy out.

was too heavy up front, sent to steve at adco, trimmed her down..much better.
so far i just love it. my next move is to put a A.R.M.S. folding front sight on.

i just love the bloody ol' girl !!

p.s. my next project, is to cut down old vietnam pencil barrel, to 17.5 ,
then we'll have a dissy with rifle gas.
might even use my fulton armory slickside upper for that ?

or just another A3 upper, ha. i really like rifles and dissipator's.

peabody

CraigC
August 8, 2010, 05:49 PM
I usually bite my tongue when I see Bushy, Remmie, Winnie, shottie, ad nauseam but seriously, Dissy??? :rolleyes:

peabody
August 8, 2010, 06:36 PM
yes, old thread... just a heads up .. i finished my d-i-s-s-i-p-a-t-o-r.. lol !!!

:D

she's sweet !!! and i know... her name is ''dissy'' thats what everybody calls her at home.:D

i gotta admit, letting steve at ADCO trim her down, and get her on a diet REALLY helped, my kids just love her now, [so do i !!]

accurate and FUN gun to shoot, with the 1-7 twist she's MOA @ 100 with barns 70 grain txt's. solid copper, deer killin machine !! :)

i like her so much, im cutting back a M16 barrel, to 17.5 of course with RIFLE gas, and build another dissipator. this one in 1-9 twist.

peabody

Al LaVodka
August 8, 2010, 08:23 PM
OMG, resurrected after six years and THEN after another year! OK. My custom turned M-4 profile Dissipator upper is a lot lighter than my HBAR version and is a go-to.
Al

peabody
August 8, 2010, 08:29 PM
its the thread that wouldn't die !!!! :)

heck ? im getting excited thinkings about building ANOTHER dissy,

one with 1x7 twist, and this new one with 1x9... sweet !!! :)

yes, imathinkin ? this pencil barrel, will be a fun dissipato build.. looking forwards to it.

peabody

Al LaVodka
August 8, 2010, 10:04 PM
Just a reminder that a main reason the military got away from the light barrel was that a sling put enough pressure on the thin tube to bend it when shooting. The pencil barrel w/a full-length handguard (less so a carbine) is essentially that original scenario set-up wise and will do the same thing...
Al

peabody
August 10, 2010, 01:08 AM
thanks AL... i understand your point, but this new dissipator, ? im thinking one of them DCM free floating tubes under the handguards.

the sling swivel is not mounted on the barrel.

my 1x7 dissipator i haves now, is a trimmed down mid-contour barrel, looks exactly like a 20'' government profile barrel, cept' she's a 16 incher.

all in all. the dissipator model, has for me been the best all around do everything well, rifle/carbine.

it sure has been a long time getting her where i wanted to go . but was well worth it.:)

peabody

dobletap
October 28, 2010, 03:47 PM
Hi! Interesting resurrected thread! I love the M16A4 Clones but I think they might not be best for defensive purposes at home. I "discovered" the DISSIPATOR in a gunmag. Didn't know they existed. To me they make so much sense when limited to a 16" barrel. I'm trying to buy an upper and a lower and keep the price down as much as possible. After testing it for reliability I intend to keep it as my home defense weapon. I might just add a light and night sights. When ever I finish it I'll see if I post a picture and keep this thread alive!

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster Dissipator" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!