need ccw flashlight recommendations

PDA

Revolver Ocelot
April 8, 2009, 10:36 AM
I've already purchased a ld10 flashlight from fenix and love it, however I'm looking for something alittle brighter for ccw.

I would like to have a flashlight that runs off of cr123 batteries with preferably a diameter no greater then 1" and a brightness level of atleast 180lumens, I've seen some stuff from fenix that I find quite appealing but unfortunately can't find one with a pocket clip aside from the tk10 offering which I feel the head looks like it could catch on something easily and end up not in my pocket.

I got about 100 bucks to spend, I need any suggestions I can get even if they don't meet the criteria I'm looking for. post any ideas or lights you use with good results.

if this is in the wrong forum please move it.

If you enjoyed reading about "need ccw flashlight recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scottgun
April 8, 2009, 11:23 AM
I just picked up a SolarForce L2 for $25. It has the self defense bezel on the end. I like carrying this around much more than my surefire which cost over a hundred bucks. The solarforce is compatible with the surefire's parts, and also takes cr123 batteries

wyocarp
April 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
I will be curious to hear what others suggest for under a hundred with over 180 lumens.

shdwfx
April 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
See if you can find a used Surefire E2D LED (http://www.surefire.com/E2DL) (new runs $150). They are a great light, tough as nails, decent impact weapon, and simple. There's no 4 dozen brightness levels to choose from (bright, dim, off), and the first button push is eyeball-searing bright, like it should be.

sidheshooter
April 8, 2009, 01:09 PM
http://www.batteryjunction.com/olt20t15t10.html?gclid=CI_rr4Li4ZkCFRFMagod0w-eVA

or

http://www.all-battery.com/OlightM20WarriorPREMIUMTacticalLEDFlashlight.aspx

I bought one of the M20 "warrior" lights; an appropriately macho name, but with light enought to back up the bravado. You can see a couple of reviews/discussions on this forum:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=429348&highlight=olight

and

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=391006&highlight=olight

Vermonter
April 8, 2009, 01:15 PM
Check out www.candlepowerforums.com

Revolver Ocelot
April 8, 2009, 02:33 PM
do the olights go straight to high mode when activated or can you set them to do that?

highorder
April 8, 2009, 02:44 PM
A Nitecore D20 is a 2xAA light that goes right to high (180+lumens) in a slick package for less than $60.00

Fore sale from the manufacturer:
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=550

Great review:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=210904

I have a D10, and I love it. Its a slick light with a silent switch with no moving parts... more on that in the review.

Revolver Ocelot
April 8, 2009, 03:04 PM
great suggestions from everyone, right now the one I'm liking the most is probablly the olight t20-m, the strobe on that one would have to be nauseating for whoever was on the recieving end. I'm still considering the fenix tk10 but I really want a more streamline design for comofrt of carry and I don't realy need the bezzle as I'd just be using it to stun a bg long enough to draw my sidearm.

shdwfx
April 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
the strobe on that one would have to be nauseating for whoever was on the recieving end.

...and the giving end.

highorder
April 8, 2009, 04:07 PM
strobe is overrated. Get a simple bright light.

Sheldon J
April 8, 2009, 05:19 PM
I beg to differ... although I do not have one, the bright flashing light can disrupt your adversary's vision and some of the new LED Strobe/ flashlights I saw at last weeks gun show are rated at 220 lumen's!!! Take a look and all your older tac lights top out around 100-120... N this could easily give you the edge in a bad situation if you know to flash and move!

BTY they sold for 85 bucks, N CR 123 were 10 for 15 bucks from the same vendor...

shdwfx
April 8, 2009, 05:21 PM
Any scenario in which a strobe might conceivably be used for defensive purposes, one wants a firearm in the other hand. At that moment, the target needs fully illuminated and blinded by white hot steady light. You need to clearly see your target, but a strobing light causes problems both ways.

I wouldn't want a strobe switch within a hundred miles of my EDC flashlight.

KBintheSLC
April 8, 2009, 05:29 PM
I use a Surefire E2D and love it. It is not as bright as you asked for, but it is very reliable, has a good battery life, has strike bezel tip and tail, and a belt/pocket clip. Honestly, it is plenty bright for a gun light. Blasts a painful, focused beam. I have 2 of them. I paid $109 for the first, and found the second for only $79 on sale.

highorder
April 8, 2009, 05:52 PM
I beg to differ... although I do not have one

I beg to differ with your beg to differ.

I have several, including a Flupic driven (microprocessor) light with a variable strobe rate from 2 to 18 Hertz.

It's overrated.

To those that own Surefire E2's:
Lumensfactory makes aftermarket lamps that use rechargable batteries and put out 150 to 350 lumens, depending on the model. here is the 350 lumen lamp:

http://www.lumensfactory.com/product_detail.php?id=75

I came to THR from here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/ :)

ScareyH22A
April 8, 2009, 06:01 PM
Sunlite Eagle Turbo Rechargeable 220 Lumen for about $135. Swap heads for 300 lumens. I love it.

Geno
April 8, 2009, 06:18 PM
I have the Surefire E2D Executive Defender for my pocket carry while on campus, and the M6 for the handgun rail. Both are great, but the batteries only last 60 to 75 minutes total. That gets costly.

Geno

highorder
April 8, 2009, 07:58 PM
Both are great, but the batteries only last 60 to 75 minutes total. That gets costly.

Go to rechargeable Li ion cells. Guilt free lumens. You can reconfigure both the lights you mentioned to run rechargeable.

NWdude83
April 8, 2009, 08:04 PM
Fenix PD30. 230 lumens!

DFW1911
April 8, 2009, 10:28 PM
The Fenix P3D can put out 215 lumens. Mine has been outstanding and I highly recommend it.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=73

Revolver Ocelot
April 9, 2009, 01:22 AM
U had considered both the p3d (the premium one as it has the 215 lumens) and the pd30, I ended up deciding against them for lack of a pocket clip, last thing I want to do is befumbling around in my pocket should i need it.

highorder
April 9, 2009, 01:27 AM
One can make a sheath for anything out of kydex for $9.95.

Round lights like the Fenix are a cinch.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=41_54_137&products_id=275

Revolver Ocelot
April 9, 2009, 02:06 AM
thanks for the holster ecommendation, soounds interesting however if anything I may end up making a pocket clip and atatching it to the lanyard holes on the end of it if need be, also that e2 with the 350 lumen light assembly sounds awfully appealing, the 15 minute battery life is not all that great but this wouldn't be a looking around flashlight anyways so I could live with it

mfcmb
April 9, 2009, 10:19 AM
If you don't mind doing a bit of shopping you can go to dealextreme.com which is based in China, and sells a wide variety of China-made goods, including probably hundreds of flashlights. You can get a wide variety of tactical flashlights for $15 to $50 each, and if you choose carefully many lights are of high quality. I have a couple that I really like. And if you find one you like a lot, being so cheap you can buy several: to distribute around the house, to replace one that gets banged up, etc.

highorder
April 9, 2009, 03:08 PM
the 15 minute battery life is not all that great but this wouldn't be a looking around flashlight anyways so I could live with it

remember, that lamp is driven by 2x rechargeable cells, so its really just 15 minutes between charges. After you use the light, just top off the cells.

Trust me, rechargable cells LiIons are the way to go.

PM for tech details, or grab your reading glasses and spend some time at the Candlepowerforums. :)

The_Seventh_Sign
April 9, 2009, 04:16 PM
Lets say you do like i did and forget your cell phone out in your car on a 95 degree day.
My cell phone battery did not work too well afterward.

Now lets apply this to tactical lights I use a Mini mag-lite LED with rechargables i keep in hand just incase of frequent powe outages. If these batteries get over heated or too cold they fail so in -3 degrees i have a dimmer light . DO NOT TRY TO CHARGE THE BATTERIES WHEN IT IS THIS COLD warning on the side of the batteries so i tend to believe it.

The other thing about tactical lighting is you make your self a big bulls eye when you use it.
Cars have remote starts so why not have robots with tactical lights for the team to light up the room?
and they must be sealed lights because you never know what type of situation you will encounter. Some nut job flooding a house with natural gas or gasoline and hay like in waco TX.
Every situation calls for the utmost caution. even a house rigged so it lights up every room with supper bright LED would be better than going in dark with a light calling attention to yourself.

TSS

highorder
April 9, 2009, 04:29 PM
TSS,

The problems you cite with LiIon cells pertain to ALL batteries.
For what its worth, LiIon cells have better cold temp performance that ANY other type of cell.

Don't abuse a battery. I think we all understand that.

The other thing about tactical lighting is you make your self a big bulls eye when you use it.

You need training. A light is an asset.

Cars have remote starts so why not have robots with tactical lights for the team to light up the room?

The OP (and I) are speaking about CCW use, NOT law enforcement.
I am curious, how interested are you in spending tax dollars on "robots with tactical lights." :rolleyes:

even a house rigged so it lights up every room with supper bright LED would be better than going in dark with a light calling attention to yourself.

You should do a bit of research, and you might change your opinion about a few things, respectfully.

EDITED TO ADD:
If these batteries get over heated or too cold they fail so in -3 degrees i have a dimmer light . DO NOT TRY TO CHARGE THE BATTERIES WHEN IT IS THIS COLD warning on the side of the batteries so i tend to believe it.

What brand, type and size cell are you using? I have no warnings on mine. You should always use PROTECTED LiIon cells. They contain a circuit to prevent damage from overcharge, overdischarge, etc. I (and many other savvy flashlight people) use AW brand cells. You can get them many places, including here:

www.lighthound.com

Revolver Ocelot
April 10, 2009, 01:16 AM
well luckily for me I don't drive a car or own a cell phone ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "need ccw flashlight recommendations" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!